• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip CS Bag Review

doth_savek

Par Member
https://youtu.be/lU9gYirhffk

Many know and love the familiar Grip series of bags so it originally had not been on my to-do list of bags to review. I got a request to make it happen, so here it is.
I thought perhaps it belonged on this forum as an addition to all the other content here about Grip bags.
I hope this is useful to some of you.

Thanks!

Thanks for that review. I ordered my EQ CS pack today when I saw they were on sale.

Your reviews are great by the way. Very helpful in this decision.

Care to comment, briefly, on pros/cons between the Carlton and the CS?

Thanks.

Current price:
CS $179
Carlton $250

With the Carlton for the extra $70 you are getting a more comfortable bag on your back as well as a bag with a more flexible disc carrying capacity. Also made in USA
Carlton comfortably carries 12 to ~28 discs.
What you lose with the Carlton is logical storage of valuable items.
That center tower storage area on the Carlton is just so frustrating to jam your arm mid forearm deep searching for stuff, or worse pulling everything out while fishing around in a pocket you cant see inside of very well.
If all you care about is a cool custom design, comfort on your back, and flexible disc capacity then the Carlton would be a great choice. If you really want cool custom then you also may be spending $350 to design your own so the price goes way up then. Also if you are wanting to carry 20+ discs then you are going to be using the side haul pockets and you need to know you will be losing that storage/beverage carrying capacity(water bladder would go middle and free up one side haul pocket).

Grip is made in China
CS comfortably holds 10 to 16 discs.
The Grip CS has the best valuable storage of any bag I have owned. If keeping your valuables safe, secure, dry, and organized is a priority then the CS is the much better option. The CS has dedicated rain fly storage. The CS is light enough that the less comfortable stiff back style bag is easy to look past. The overall layout and organization of the CS is just so well done. The side pockets on the CS hold gear better than the side haul pockets on the Carlton. For example a rain jacket quickly fills up an entire haul pocket on the Carlton, the same rain jacket jammed to the bottom of a side pocket on the CS and you still have room for a 12oz on top and have access to the high inner small pocket. The velcro front option that can be had on the CS is a cool way to add some flare. Just check amazon for velcro badges and you will find some fun stuff.

I feel that the Grips CS is the easier bag to recommend. If a little extra storage is a concern then go with the BX. The grip is a workhorse. The Carlton is a luxury bag that wins more on looks than anything else. If you want the luxury and have the extra money to spend on a made in the USA custom bag then I would recommend going all the way for a Octothorpe.

Just got a grip cs in today based off your reviews and recommendations. Can't wait to put it to work.

I was able to take my CS with me this past weekend. I prefer my shoulder bag for the local courses, but the extra storage of the CS is a no-brainer for the larger trips into the mountains. Basically I wanted a good day pack, that just happens to carry discs, and the CS delivers.

Thanks again to doth_savek...that review is what made up my mind, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

doth bringing so much detail to his reviews.

I've had my Grip CS for over a year & my favorite thing is how comfortable it fits on my back. I've got a narrow frame & the smaller CS is the right size. The padding on the back is great too.

Apparently new CS bags rolling out, called CS2s. Side pockets half size of current model double as drink holders. Saw videos on youtube of green bag and black bag. Velcro part over valuables pocket like current Sand colored bags, with a Grip brand badge sewn on half of it, putter pocket seems a fit for only 2 putters, claims straps are an ergonomic upgrade...

Last edited:
Apparently new CS bags rolling out, called CS2s. Side pockets half size of current model double as drink holders. Saw videos on youtube of green bag and black bag. Velcro part over valuables pocket like current Sand colored bags, with a Grip brand badge sewn on half of it, putter pocket seems a fit for only 2 putters, claims straps are an ergonomic upgrade...

Have you got a link or title for the videos?

Have you got a link or title for the videos?

Can't find now, perhaps changed to "private". There was a CS2 vid and a BX2 vid, same intro dude and format as the current gen intro vids for Grip...thinking they'll pop up soon again. I'm in the market for a BX or BX2...

Thanks for the heads up AceALot!
They have the 3 new(redesigned) models up on Grip EQs website.
They have Sand color in stock again!

For the CS2 they removed the old style drink holders and storage pockets and added on the side pocket style from the new G series bag. Looks a little odd to me. I guess they are trying to separate the C series away from B by making the C lighter/smaller.

Thanks for the heads up AceALot!
They have the 3 new(redesigned) models up on Grip EQs website.
They have Sand color in stock again!

For the CS2 they removed the old style drink holders and storage pockets and added on the side pocket style from the new G series bag. Looks a little odd to me. I guess they are trying to separate the C series away from B by making the C lighter/smaller.

The changes with the drink holder would be a deal breaker for me. I've got the previous C-Series & love the access to the drink holders & having them separate from the storage pockets. Drink in one & two towels in the other.

Anyways, doth savek I was told by DiscsUnlimited that they would have a new shipment of Crosslap Cubus carts in about 4-5 weeks. Would be great to see a cart review.

The changes with the drink holder would be a deal breaker for me. I've got the previous C-Series & love the access to the drink holders & having them separate from the storage pockets. Drink in one & two towels in the other.

Anyways, doth savek I was told by DiscsUnlimited that they would have a new shipment of Crosslap Cubus carts in about 4-5 weeks. Would be great to see a cart review.

I will keep my eyes peeled for the Cubas to come in stock. Thanks!

Latest posts