• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Tip

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
Thought I'd share this. When I first started throwing I had the problem of the disc nose being tilted too far up. I couldn't help it - I have relatively small hands and that meant a power grip was naturally just too nose up. I tried correcting this by tipping my wrist down, but that was awkward. I found the advice online of lining up the disc with the line of the palm between the wrist fold and the gap between the index and middle fingers. This works well, but I found a way that lets me do it one handed while taking my disc out of the bag and that actually works better for me. When I grab my disc, I immediately slip my index finger onto the top of the disc with the others underneath. Basically the disc is now scissored between my index and middle finger. I then curl all but my index fingers under the rim in their familiar power grip positions. Then I slip my index finger under the disc to join them. What's different than just grabbing the disc and curling all four fingers under the rim? By starting with my index finger on top of the disc, it pushes the disc into a slightly more nose-down orientation. When I slip the index finger under the rim to join the others, the pad of that finger feels sort of bunched up against the edge of the disc in a way it normally doesn't. The end result is a more nose down power grip, and I can do it in about a second, one handed, while picking my disc up. I estimate the difference in angle is around 5-8 degrees, which isn't much, but it makes a world of difference in disc release.

That sounds like a fabulous routine to get a consistent grip. And that handful of degrees makes a world of difference.

I actually just discovered this grip change on my own in the last couple days. I haven't even had a chance to throw with it, but I always have a few discs in the passenger seat and mess around with my grips while commuting and I stumbled on this one. I used to have the disc in the crease between index and thumb and I could tell right away this is an improvement. The old way already feels weird.

In addition to the few degrees of nose down, your wrist is a hinge joint so it only rotates in one plane and this grip makes the disc more parallel to that plane, meaning less wasted energy in the throw. Also it seems like the fingers are stacked in a way that the disc should rip out more sequentially, which is supposed to put more spin on it.

I like your trick for how to grab it, I was having to press it against my leg to really sink the grip in tight.

Kinda funny that you just posted this. I jumped on to search for grip threads concerning another issue (pressure points and release) and popped in here. It sounds like starting with a Bonapane grip then just tucking that index under there, which I have to say is brilliant. I have this exact same problem with trying to get my fingers tucked under properly with the knuckles lined up at an angle. I spend way to much time pressing the disc into my hand and lining up fingers just to start over. I was annoyed watching myself in my form vids fidgeting with the disc all the time. I had already hit the point where I was tucking the middle through pinky under first, but I couldn't get the correct alignment and I know I have nose issues with my shots stalling out high. I just now tried this method and everything went where it should. :thmbup:

Last edited:
I tried this today during a round and it really worked for me. After reading this last night and just placing the disc in my hand I could easily see the 5-8 degree angle difference so I was anxious to give it a shot. Worked perfect. It was a pretty breezy day today so it really helped to keep the nose down.

I'm glad to see this has worked for y'all. After watching literally thousands of hours of technique videos and reading so many posts, some of which have helped me, it's nice to give something back. This way of gripping the disc has gotten so ingrained that it just doesn't feel right unless the pad at the base of my index finger is bunched up on top of the disc from doing it this way. By the way it feels I can tell I've got the grip right without having to look. :thmbup:

I was playing around with this earlier today and just happened to have my transparent Champion Leopard in my hand, so I could see my fingers under the rim. I don't know if this has anything to do with why this grip works, but I noticed my fingers are slightly angled instead of hitting the power grip at a square 90 degrees. I haven't researched the fancier grips much, so I really don't know if this does anything good or bad to the grip and rip. Anybody have insight into what this might do?

It just amazes me how much the littlest things matter. What I'm finding out is how important it is to be reading and watching all of the videos over and over again. For me, I never get it the first time but when I accidentally come across it, I realize what you are talking about. The gems are there you just have to be able to notice them when you come across them. And if you haven't studied, and I believe it is studying, you will miss them.

Moving to slower speed discs pretty much cured my nose up issue instantly. Who da figured. lol..

Interesting - I had not seen that particular video before. I'm actually leery of messing around with different fingers in different positions too much because the amount of force can be considerable and I've read from people complaining of injured fingers and knuckles. Just messing around one day I tried a two finger grip and the immediate shooting pain in my middle finger's 2nd knuckle told me not to do it again. I am going to try the grip in the video, though. Curious about it.

Trying to understand why a slower disc would be more nose down for you, DiscFifty. The only thing I can figure is slower discs usually have thinner rims. That must adjust your grip to a more nose down position. Everyone's hand proportions are different, and that has to produce different results. I already mentioned how the straight power grip puts me too nose up, and I think that's because I have stubby little hands. I also play guitar, and trying my first Jimi Hendrix song nearly made me give up playing. He had freakishly long hands and could easily fret a chord across 6 frets - most people are lucky if they can extend their pinky out to a 4th fret (I can only make 3). The instructionals all seem to assume that a hand is a hand is a hand, but it really isn't so.

I have heard of this being called the Moose-Knuckle Grip. It gives you a ton of snap, I'm not sure why it would help in keeping the front of the disc level but, to each their own I guess. I don't recommend this grip for a long term use though, it will not increase your distance or your power, just develops a better snap. It sounds to me that your real problem is not keeping your front shoulder down when throwing. That is your problem I would say.

Great videos!!! Explained exactly what I needed and didn't understand about the power grip

Moving to slower speed discs pretty much cured my nose up issue instantly. Who da figured. lol..

Masked might be the better word than cured. Kind of like how moving to a faster disc can mask flaws the generate OAT, throwing a slower disc will be more forgiving of a few degrees of nose up.

This video is what made me switch to the Climo grip. Some people call it a fan grip, or fork grip, I still think it is a power grip. I feel the most control AND power from his grip.
It's funny I use a fan grip, but on wide rim drivers my fingers get squished into Climo's grip because of the rim.

It's funny I use a fan grip, but on wide rim drivers my fingers get squished into Climo's grip because of the rim.

For some reason I can't fan grip to save my life. Give me an Ultimate lid and I can fan grip, but with a golf disc? Nope. I power grip basically everything. It works well down to about 200 or so, but between 120-200 it's not great.

For some reason I can't fan grip to save my life. Give me an Ultimate lid and I can fan grip, but with a golf disc? Nope. I power grip basically everything. It works well down to about 200 or so, but between 120-200 it's not great.
I used to be that way, until I talked to MJ and he really helped me figure out the fan grip, some of those tips are in my grip vid. Really the fan, and all power grips are pretty much the same to me. Scott Stokley and Chris Max Voigt both set world distance records with the fan grip. ;)

Latest posts