• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip to least likely lead to griplock?

brattenj

Love this game. Have played in every state except Hawaii. Ready to quit. Everything is griplocked. I simply do not know where the darn thing is going. Any tips or a specific grip that can reduce these?

Griplock has very little to do with your actual grip. Work on pulling close to your chest and getting your weight forward.

That said, if you're not using a power grip, you might try it. That seems to be the go to driving grip for the majority of players.

I ain't no expert, but I see newer players all the time blaming bad shots on "grip lock". While that's the accepted term, it's not quite right. It's more about mechanics/timing, and little to do with a grip. Anyways, I'm more or less just padding the post count, an actual expertish person will be along shortly I'm sure.

Make sure you get your right foot (for a RHBH thrower) down before you start your pull, and pull in a straight line in tight with your body and then throw the disc straight ahead. Doing a pre-swing like Feldberg, Doss, McBeth, etc. can help you find your hit/release point more easily and stay balanced during the throw as well. It will feel awkward at first though.

Pinch grip. :p No way possible to get 'grip lock' with this type of grip.
I find most 'grip locks' I have to be more of a timing issue, such as a late release, rather than a full on 'grip lock'.

Mash, Mr. America, and Josh have already given a great starting point, but the actual grip has very little to do with release being late(aka grip lock) as they all said.

It all has to do with your timing mechanics in your throw. You should either post some video of your throw so you can get some idea of where your timing is off. Or start a lengthy process of Q and A to determine where it's at with someone that knows form pretty well. There are a few here I'd suggest, but you can choose whom you want to listen to.

IMHO your normal throw should be a "controlled grip lock". This may be different from person to person. But when I first started, whenever I "grip locked" a disc, it would go twice as far as a my normal throw. So I then focused on timing and control so that instead of "grip locking" off into Narnia, I can now aim the "grip lock" inherently making the disc go further. Hope that made sense.

Make sure you get your right foot (for a RHBH thrower) down before you start your pull, and pull in a straight line in tight with your body and then throw the disc straight ahead. Doing a pre-swing like Feldberg, Doss, McBeth, etc. can help you find your hit/release point more easily and stay balanced during the throw as well. It will feel awkward at first though.

This is great advice. Feldberg is one of the greatest teachers in the game and he always says that disc golf is a game of lines. You should reach straight back from your target line and pull straight through on your target line.

I had this problem for a little while a few years ago. To correct it I would pause on my reach back and found that my arm was about at 11 o'clock and I was pulling to about 4 o'clock (with 12 o'clock being straight in front of you and your target line being from 9-3) (if that makes sense). Basically I was throwing right because that's the line that I was pulling on. It didn't matter where my body was pointing because I wasn't pulling in the direction

Take a pause on your reach back and see what line you are about to pull on. It should be tucked in close to your chest. not far away from your chest.

A little long winded I know but it has worked for me and I still do this exercise a good bit.

Control/Fork Grip.

I understand it's the technique thread, and all you guys are trying to help, but can't an answer ever be simple?

im relatively new to disc golf, and the term "griplock" is a bit confusing.

at first glance one would think griplock would mean that the muscles in your hand are actually seizing and not allowing you to release. similar to lockjaw.

but after reading these comments it seems that griplock is actually just a poorly timed released, from a hitch in your throwing motion, mechanics, etc, or just time away from the game.

why dont we just call "griplock" bad timing?

there must be something im missing

Griplock is caused by not continuing to accellerate into the follow through. The more you are accelerating right at the "hit" the more consistently the disc will rip from your grip. If you are slowing down at that point the disc will not rip out consistently but instead will sometimes get stuck.

/thread

IMHO your normal throw should be a "controlled grip lock". This may be different from person to person. But when I first started, whenever I "grip locked" a disc, it would go twice as far as a my normal throw. So I then focused on timing and control so that instead of "grip locking" off into Narnia, I can now aim the "grip lock" inherently making the disc go further. Hope that made sense.

This is my biggest issue. About 1 out of 8 throws I seem to get about 25% extra distance but throw it right at about a 45 degree angle. The frequency of these is going down and my average distance is going up but I still wish I could get these sorted out.

Latest posts