• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip v Ranger questions

eric40817

* Ace Member *
Ive tried finding others posts but cant find anything straight forward that mentions my concerns, and before I settled on one of the bags on the table, I wanted to post this here.

Im in the market for my first backpack bag. I ruled out the Lat64 due to some feedback Ive seen here and elsewhere, mentioning it getting rather saggy after a year or less and thus losing stability when sitting on the ground. Also the way it carries the weight has been brought a couple times, not as a con of the bag, but the other two carried it better. It also looks like a freakin big bag, bigger than what I need/want I think.

So im looking at the DD Ranger backpack, and the Grip A or B series. The Ranger and A series bags would hold all the discs I carry, the B might need some slimming down but its definitely something I should do anyway. Aside from disc storage, I want to know about storage space of other items. Towel, drinks, sweatshirts or rain jackets, dry socks, etc. I know what bag has what pockets but can you really comfortably stuff a hoodie in the Grip A bag? How about the B bag? Or would stuffing things like fullsize hoodies, dry socks in there be stressing the seams and cause early signs of wear and structural support? I know a jacket fits in the top compartment of the Ranger. A guy at the course the other day had a couple small dogs sitting in his...

In terms of stability is one better than the other? Im in new england so theres a lot of uneven ground. Stability is an important factor for me. Suppose I have a hoodie in the Ranger, with a few cans or bottles up top. Does it get too top heavy to remain sturdy and not tip over?

Lastly, and this is probably not an appropriate question to gauge my decision, but between the Ranger and Grip, which one carries better fully loaded? I know, probably preference based on your build, physique, etc, but maybe worth asking nonetheless.
Thank you!

I've had my grip old L series for a few years. Soon to be replaced by a grip AX15. The new AX15 has big expandable side pockets and a big roomy disc compartment.

I've put hoodie in a side pocket of mine. Newer models probably have larger pockets.

And no problems carrying extra towels, chalk bags, beers, retriever, camera, phone etc. In grip.

I can get a 7-9/10 ranger for 130 or a grip of equal condition for 180-$200. Is the grip worth the extra money?

I carried a ranger for a bit before I got a latitude bag- ended up having the saggy frame issue and a friend was gonna buy it off me so I got a grip.

Comparing the ranger to the grip, the only thing the ranger has over it is the storage. The grip has adequate room for a sweatshirt in the expanded side pocket plus a little more room. The pocket between the main disc compartment and the putter pocket holds more than you would think also. The grip is much more stable since most of its weight is low, compared to the ranger that has the majority of its storage up top. The ranger carries like a tissue box on your back. Grip is light and very comfortable.

Overall- I do like the latitude bag better than the grip of it didn't have the sagging issues, which is why I was very happy to hear they are going to honor the warranty on it for that issue, and will be getting an E3 with reinforced panels soon, so if you do decide you want a grip A series I have one for sale that has been used twice.

Latest posts