• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip When Throwing a Drive With a Putter/Mid

Grip When Throwimg a Drive With a Putter/Mid

• Power Grip (4 fingers under the rim)

Votes: 54 51.9%
  • Control Grip (3 fingers under the rim and index finger on rim)

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • Fan Grip

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 11.5%

• Total voters
Recently I grab a midrange with a fan grip over a putter with a power grip. I find the midrange not to be as squirrely as a putter at lengths over 250 ft. However I have been using a power grip on putts over 40 ft and have seen a little success.

I use the "Climo grip" when I throw mids & putters. It's a variation of the fork grip.
3586726217_0b0ee4806d_m.jpg

I use that for mids and putting. Power grip for all other BH shots.

Timely poll question! Grandma brought up this exact subject over Christmas dinner last night - right after a lively discussion on Trump's cabinet and just before we Face Timed with my brother's family in Idaho.

She said she rolls her wrist too much with a power grip off the tee - too much flip. So she mostly likes to dial down the grip on her Wizard when teeing off. My Aunt Cecilia who was down from Nova Scotia was making a persuasive argument that Grandma's problem might be that her Wizard is too soft and therefore generally too understable. But I was too busy carving up some more ham for everyone in the kitchen to back her up and then my brother called from Idaho and that was that. Oh well. Happy New Year, everyone!

I can't understand how people can power grip putters and not grip lock them. My main contact/pivot point is between thumb and index finger with the rest just resting on the flight plate.

Same way we throw anything else, grip it and rip it :)

OP I use the same grip for all of my drives. I'll FH or BH a putter, mid and driver with the exact same grip and form.

KuRpcb.jpg

Does anyone else change their grip based on how hard you're trying to throw it? I slowly transition from a fan to a power grip. I do this basically unconsciously and I do this both for disc golf discs as well as ultimate.

To those who are asking why I didn't include a FH option, I rarely FH my mids or putter, though if I do it is a fan grip as I have a tendency to over power my FH shots and that grip limits my power. When I had a Gator in my bag I could rip on it as hard as I could FH but I found that I really didn't need it as much as I though, as well as the fact that beads mess with my FH.

I use the same the fan grip MJ uses for everything.

Yeah that video kind of shows that no grip is better than any other and its all comfort. I use the same Climo/MJ grip for putters and mids, and small rim fairway drivers, but once I get into long wing drivers I can't grip it comfortably with the modified power grip. At that point I just go to a full on power grip. But it is nice to have consistency in grip and not have a different one for every disc. But yeah I wonder what happened to Robbie Bratten.

Generally power grip on mids, fan grip on putters. It all depends on whether or not the disc feels secure and balanced in my power grip. Deep putters don't and neither do domey mids like a panther, comet, or the odd roc that sneaks its way into my house, so it's fan grip on them (and banishment from my bag).

To those who are asking why I didn't include a FH option, I rarely FH my mids or putter, though if I do it is a fan grip as I have a tendency to over power my FH shots and that grip limits my power. When I had a Gator in my bag I could rip on it as hard as I could FH but I found that I really didn't need it as much as I though, as well as the fact that beads mess with my FH.

Try some forehand only putter rounds at a long course, it'll change your game.

I used to never flick putters or mids but after doing a handful of those I flick the majority of my upshots. IMO ranging a 75-150' shot with a standstill putter flick is extremely easy to do compared to backhand.

I fan grip everything that isn't a driver. I probably should learn to fan grip drivers too :p

edit - I guess my grip is more like the 'Climo' grip shown on earlier pages

Last edited:
Try some forehand only putter rounds at a long course, it'll change your game.

I used to never flick putters or mids but after doing a handful of those I flick the majority of my upshots. IMO ranging a 75-150' shot with a standstill putter flick is extremely easy to do compared to backhand.

I completely agree. I feel a lot more confident hitting small gaps with a forehand upshot as well.

Latest posts