• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grow the sport you say?

Hey... who invited the new guy and gave him permission to rant?...

JK man. I totally agree and never understood this mind set.

...every single person on this thread was once the new guy on the course. Every single one of you. Be the ambassador for the game that you had, or wished you had when you were new, because you never know when that family of 4 throwing 3 discs walking willy nilly all over the course could be the next Paul McBeth or Paige Pierce.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Long winded? Yes, but still a great post.

I remember my 1st round with my kids who were about 8 & 11. We had some generic lids. No clue how many etiquette atrocities we committed :eek:, but we had fun.

If you'd have told me then, I was gonna be this into the game, plan vacations around it, review courses, and watch tournaments on You Tube...

I'd have said "You're full of ****."
Lol! How wrong I'd have been. :)

Last edited:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Long winded? Yes, but still a great post.

I remember my 1st round with my kids who were about 8 & 11. We had some generic lids. No clue how many etiquette atrocities we committed :eek:, but we had fun.

If you'd have told me then, I was gonna be this into the game, plan vacations around it, review courses, and watch tournaments on You Tube...

I'd have said "You're full of ****."
Lol! How wrong I'd have been. :)
Get off my lawn, man. :|

The key is education. Courses with kiosks should all have info relevant to basic ettiquette, basic rules and basic form. Clubs should be putting on more clinics. The better these new players are educated, the better the courses will be for everyone.

Outside of people playing in massive groups, the new players mostly seem to have it together around here.

Honestly, the MA1 and open types are far more likely to be taking chances when it comes to throwing over walkers, taking multiple shots with people waiting, playing doubles matches or RIPT revenge or other formats that take longer on crowded courses, etc.

Things have also seemed to die down a bit as far as crowds, though I'm hearing that people that show up at time of sign ups for leagues are getting turned away.

The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few.....maybe that helps.

I love that you said this. Especially considering all of your COVID rants during the past year.

In the long term, a utilitarian view will prove most COVID lockdown measures were a failure. Heck, we've already proven that formally requiring 6 feet of social distancing is nonsense and was based on 100+ year old advice.

We talk about "long" COVID in the sense of bodily reaction to the virus. The true "long" COVID effect will be increase in death rates pertaining to mental health issues and obesity. It is highly likely more people will die from these "long" COVID effects than would have died if we kept our society open.

Ok, thread jack complete. Carry on with your grow the sport b!$ching.

I love that you said this. Especially considering all of your COVID rants during the past year.

In the long term, a utilitarian view will prove most COVID lockdown measures were a failure. Heck, we've already proven that formally requiring 6 feet of social distancing is nonsense and was based on 100+ year old advice.

We talk about "long" COVID in the sense of bodily reaction to the virus. The true "long" COVID effect will be increase in death rates pertaining to mental health issues and obesity. It is highly likely more people will die from these "long" COVID effects than would have died if we kept our society open.

Which thread were you responding to? Just wondering the relevance of this to anything.

Well, if you grow the sport, you're bound to get more of all sorts of people.

You are correct. China proved from the very beginning that 13-15 feet was actually the proper distancing measure. As such, no wonder our efforts have failed.

It's hard not to get a little grumpy when you get stuck behind a casual super group throwing the wrong plastic and having a super good time. I enjoy their enthusiasm and I'm happy they're having fun but..... Hahahaha, when you got grandpa and a 7 year old and the whole family in between it is maddening to be behind them if you are locked into a league or skins round.

If we aren't playing "serious" I just hop around on a shortcut or made up hole. There was this one time we were in a tournament in a group of 6 I think and we were stuck behind a group of 6 total amateurs (out for fun on the wrong day). Took us 2.5 hrs to play a 9 hole loop. We almost didn't get our cards in on time, I think the TD waited for us an extra half hour.

You know you show up to play some disc with your family, see 100+ discers and think.. We can totally play too our group is the same size, "Why can't we do the same?". It was downright scary having a young kid ahead of us standing in the wrong places, disc crossfire everywhere... I choked a lot of shots short.

That being said, I enjoy encouraging new folks and pointing out the lower 9 to them if they have kids.. We call it the "old farts 9". Nice and flat, no giant hills or rocks. Great for 7 year olds or 80 year +. One of our legendary players still plays down there at 85(?). We are extremely courteous if we see him and he's slower than glacial ice.. I can afford at least half that courtesy to a newbie.

Ironically my slow play issues are much less this:
when you got grandpa and a 7 year old and the whole family in between

and much more often this:
in a tournament in a group of 6

Playing solo I can usually run through the beginner groups with ease, running through a course that is occupied on all holes by a 'tags' match is another story...

Give me all the newbs and less of the waytooserious tags/leagues whatever guys any day.

I try to remember that the leagues are serving way more folks than my solo round, suck it up, move to the next course 10 miles away. But when there's tags/leagues at some course every day, twice a week some courses, it becomes a struggle to find a place to get a round in after work before dark. That's my current dilemma with 'growing the sport' : its becoming harder and harder to find clear courses to get a quick round in - partly because of noobs, also partly because so many improvised tournaments/tags/leagues are popping up totally filled with folks and locking down a course for half day.

There should be some kind of sign on hole #1 saying clearly, "Groups of 5 or more please allow faster playing groups to play ahead." I wish more courses would also install a much shorter 9 hole course. Maybe holes no more than 100-150ft. Would be good to warm up with and hopefully attract the family casual groups.

I started with COVID, so as long as the cutoff is after March 2020, I'm good. :)

The sport is growing and will probably keep growing for some time. Then some of the new players will quit and move on to something else.

I imagine when it gets hot, there will be less people interested in sweating it out, so it should be easier to get a round in.

I like the idea of seeing more pitch and putt courses. Those would be great for the family outing and the newbs intros to the game.

Was at a popular park course the other day. A fivesome was on hole 1. Three groups are waiting to tee off behind them. As they are putting out, 4 guys come over from the practice basket, jump ahead of those waiting and say "Hey, you guys mind if we catch up with our friends?" and we now have a group of 9 ahead of us. Yes, they were playing loud music and throwing wildly. Needless to say, we skipped ahead and started on 4. They had just reached 6 when we were teeing off on 17.

That is one of the many reasons I would love more P2P courses.

Latest posts