• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Growing Pains and Plateaus

I have a bunch of dx aviars that are the same, guess I could go back to using those. But its a good excuse to get an Ion still!

Why are you putting yourself under so much pressure...? You probably should do something else... Focus. Check it out, if you walk up to a shot wondering or worrying, I hate to tell you but you've already missed the putt. I watched that Putting Confidence video a couple of years ago and this is the one thing i took away from it.. dont practice missing putts. I watch people all the time before rounds warming up WAY outside where they will make any putts all round. I practice putting inside 20 feet thats IT. That alone gives me the confidence to putt from 30 out to 60. When I miss putts outside of 30-35 I never miss by more than 20 and I know Ill hit that come back. You wanna keep out driving those kats thats fine keep doing field work, because everyone know it does help!!! BUT if you wanna be a B.D.P bang out those putts in their face all day. Sure throwing far is fun but I like to hear that $$$$ sound much more. Keep your focus inside the circle! Bazinga

^^ I really disagree with the r-pro assessment...I love my r-pro hydras, for a putter I absolutely love the plastic. I often use it for drives and after a year my go to is still holding up super nicely. Very grippy, and the consistency is not an issue as far as I can tell.

Let me clarify my r-pro bash a little bit. I love the feel of it and used a R-pro dart for about a year for upshots and putts. However, in the Texas heat the plastic just seemed to make it a little more inconsistent as far as stability. Just seemed to lose its accuracy.

Growing fear in the back of my mind I have reached a difficult point to push past. I have recently started driving into a 50' circle or smaller on a lot of familiar/shorter holes where I play. So I am facing more and more high stress type putts to take advantage of the greater distance I am driving. I know its just going to boil down to lots of putter practice to start getting these birdies in the chains.

It's just frustrating when your outdriving a lot of folks but not out scoring them, its kinda like your playing a harder, more intense game and scoring the same.

I just need to quit whining and spend quality time with some putters, just wondering if this is a familiar plateau to anybody else. I now know why some folks say build your game on putting and work up cause it always comes back to haunt you if not.

I want to be more like you.

I want to have this problem.

It is easy to fix.

Get yourself a Bullseye (smaller target practice basket) and do your practice daily. If you are bitchin and moanin, fix it completely and dedicate some time to get your "bomb and putt" on the card.

Dude, you are so close now close the deal.

Try finding a hole that is about 150' or 125'. Take your putters and drive the hole from your natural putting stance. To start out you should be short and your drives will look like crap. Put more power and accuracy on it until you are getting within 15 from that distance consistently then walk half the hole and make your runs from there. Just a thought, thats what I've been doing at my home course and it has seemed to work for me.

Once upon a time i set up a milk crate on top of a trash can and putted for practice on that. It gave me the confidence and familiarity with the motion that you cannot get in a day at the course. If you are like me, I get to the course I am too giddy to practice putt for more than like 8 throws. Also, once the round starts I am already losing the mental battle because I'm a headcase most days. Therefore, I get almost worse at putting as the day goes on.

It really is something to practice. It doesn't matter what your target is, just practice throwing plastic at it. Obviously using the same type of disc will add more to the familiarity and yield more positive results.

One other tactic that has since been the only thing to help my putting: When you are visually aiming at the basket what do you look at? The chains? the red tape? the pole in the center?

I have found that whenever possible, typically only eye level-ish shots, to focus on a tree, limb, stone, etc. that is about ten feet past the basket. Essentially, its just another way of forcing yourself to throw long enough and with enough velocity to get the disc to fly through and "catch" the chains like intended. So grab your friend, tell him to stand ten feet behind the basket and practice essentially throwing it to him. You'd be amazed at how that 25 foot throw ends up caught in the chains at 15 feet. I think there is an innate tendency to take a little off your putt for fear the chains won't do their job.

The plateau im at is distance. I know my game could improve so much if I had more. I think it hurt me this weekend at a tournament for sure.

Well, getting a couple of anodes and spending a lot of time working on putts in the 15-25' range really helped me out on Saturday as I placed 2nd among Amateurs in a small tournament. I made every putt inside of 20' and almost all of them out to 30'. Even made a couple of 40'ers that I probably wouldn't have even had a chance to before. The only reason I was over par (finished +2) was because I had some really poor drives scattered throughout the 36 holes. My putting actually saved my butt for once. That is a good feeling.

I think its a sign of a golfer getting better.
When you start you have a drive, followed by an upshot, then a putt, but as you progress, and your drives get longer, you start using a putter from farther and farther away, so its drive then putt.
For me now, if its under 100', I consider it a putt, and am annoyed if I miss just like inside the circle.
Best thing about using the putter is you usually dont have nasty blow bys, so the par shot is usually a drop in.

I agree with all the get more putting practic advice. But there is a zone for everybody where you aren't approaching and are not putting. For some it is a jump put, for others a throw. I struggled with it for a year or so. I finally switched putters to something I could throw better and more accurately from roughly 50' to 125' or so. I think you can putt inside the circle with anything. But what discs feels good to you, and can be controlled at longer distances?. Find that putter and throw it. And don't worry about missing. You can always make a 20' comeback. Once there is doubt, you've lost.

The plateau im at is distance. I know my game could improve so much if I had more. I think it hurt me this weekend at a tournament for sure.

You don't need a lot of D to be competitive. I'd say if you're throwing 375-400 with some accuracy you can be a pretty good advanced player. I'm at around 360-380ish with the occasional bomb right now. I putted pretty well today, I decided i'm going to stop being a pussy and just go for everything with vigor. It worked well.

Good for you Connor. Go for it, amd misses be damned. You can always make the comeback, and you'll make many more than you did before. You'll be better off in the long run.

Yup. Felt good to not pitch it up all the time, it's been windy lately and that just doesn't cut it, nailed some that I usually wouldn't today and also drew a lot more metal on the longer ones for easy drop in's. Hoping my scores will reflect my abilities for once in the future! :|

When you start you have a drive, followed by an upshot, then a putt, but as you progress, and your drives get longer, you start using a putter from farther and farther away, so its drive then putt.
For me now, if its under 100', I consider it a putt, and am annoyed if I miss just like inside the circle.
Best thing about using the putter is you usually dont have nasty blow bys, so the par shot is usually a drop in.

This is where I'm at, too. I don't get frustrated by missing long puts because they're drop ins for par and PAR IS A GOOD THING. I scored +1 and E on my two local courses this weekend and couldn't be happier.

The only thing I'd add to this is that I use different putters for different distances. I use a Warlock for 40ft in and change to a Dart from 40-100ft.

Lastly, notice how when you put in practice with no pressure, you commit and laser in putt after putt (short range) after a while. That commitment should stay the same in your rounds. I started finessing more of my putts in my rounds and missing. I re-evaluated how I was putting, got a routine for every putt, stick to it, and the birdies started. The same point has be made above. I do the same thing from 5ft to 100ft. No change.

Connor touched on it too.

If it is mental, imagine the basket is a friend on the beach, you are throwing frisbee and you want the frisbee to go straight at him so that he can do a trick catch.

Putters are straight flying frisbees, do what you best and throw it to your friend.

At home take a couch cushion and land your discs on it. Practice anny throws.

I so want your problem, getting closer but not there yet.

Bomb the basket, putt in for two. A great upshot is three at a minimum.

Do the math anyway you want, birdies are the way to go, par golf is a plateau that I don't want to get mired in.

Practice your putting.

That's what you are now.

Finish it.

You are there.

Latest posts