• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] GStar Dominator? why?

I think the factory store is the only place they can sell this. People will less likely pick up G* Dominators in stores: they're not beginner friendly and the non-beginners don't often pick them up. But the factory store has the "spend $75 to get free shipping". People will probably pick their discs, get to ~60 bucks, and say "why not....get a G* dominator so I can make free shipping".

I totally don't understand they're Gstar release strategy. Gstar destroyers, teebirds and rocs - yes! They sold like hotcakes. Skeeters, dominators and pegasus? I don't get. They 17.99 plus shipping price tag is waaay too much for some these to be tried out on a whim.

I have to completely disagree with this strategy. Their goal is to make money and thus should focus on selling the most popular and proven molds. Not a Dominator or Groove. It would be like the Broncos benching Peyton Manning and going with a backup to try and boost his skills and experience. The Broncos wouldn't win many games with the backup and Innova won't make much if any money off this GStar Dominator. Especially for the Factory Store, noobs might buy a Dominator but those of us familiar with it won't. Most noobs are not familiar with the Factory store, they buy in person at the Walmart, nearest PIAS or Disc Shop. Making this disc for the Factory Store is idiotic.

I completely agree. they need to try to hit the molds that are going to sell the most. the wraith is one that i am surprised to not see there.

honestly I'd rather see some super stiff star, but grippier than current star.

I got to try proto Dominators at 2012 BG AMs before they were released as a stock item and those protos flew so much better than the regular release. I was sorely disappointed I was never able to get a Dominator to fly as well as those. I am very unlikely to pick any more in different plastics because of the inconsistency among the discs and their plastics.

Random thought: G* Whippets could be interesting. Maybe like those gummy Glow Champs from a few years ago.

I'll speak up and say that I bought a Dominator right when I started playing disc golf regularly again, after a 5-year break, about a year or so ago. When I stopped playing, the Beast was about the longest thing you could find at that moderate arm speed point in the Innova chart. I still have a Champion Beast that I bought years ago, and it consistently flies the farthest of all drivers for me. I LOVE it. When I picked up a Dominator, the thought was, OH! here's a disc with more speed that looks to share a lot of characteristics with a Beast.

But, honestly, all of the Speed 13 discs are too unforgiving for me, even the Vulcan -- I'm not consistent enough with nose angle and swing to trust a Destroyer or Dominator not to take off high and bomb left. Discs like the Beast, Speed 11 or so, fit my game much better -- I'm thinking of trying a Lat64 River and DD Escape as better compliments to my TeeBird and Beast workhorses.

Maybe Innova make this Dominator so that their charts are nice and even, each black with five discs ranging from beginner- to expert- speed arms :).

Here is my Dominator review. 172 grams Champ plastic. I throw RHBH with a 350 max. I threw this disc a lot against every other high speed driver. Wraiths, Destroyers, Lace, Katana, etc. The flight itself wasn't too overstable or hard to control, I had a consistent straight flight and a mild fade. On the course I know where I normally land, I was always shorter with this disc. I was shocked because it looked good in the air and felt like a good rip, it was always 20-30 feet short of any other high speed disc. I couldn't ever figure out why so instead of bashing my head against the wall I dumped it. It is not a popular disc at all with any good players that I've seen. There is a problem with this disc. It sucks.

Innova will probably get some sales from those folks who want every GStar disc made, some from the "well maybe this mold will work in a different plastic" folks, and some from folks who like the combination of speed & name.

I'm surprised no one likes the Dominator. I bought four factory seconds in Champ and absolutely love them! Fills a hole for me between the Boss and the Katana. The Boss is a bit to overstable at times and the Katana can flip to quick for me. The Dominator sits up and goes straights as an arrow with just a little fade towards the end (especially in a headwind)...love it!

I can't speak to drivers as I only use Gstar plastic for my Aviars and really like it! Seems as if it would take a quick beating with the speed 13 drivers nailing trees and such. Think I'll stick with Champ :thmbup:

Latest posts