• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

gwsmallwood's Path to Par

gwsmallwood

Birdie Member
Been playing for about a year now and finally decided to get some critiques. I played 99% backhand for the first 6 months until I started having some shoulder pain. Went to see an orthopedic surgeon to make sure I wasn't hurting myself and was diagnosed with rotator cuff inflammation and impingement. She recommended playing mostly forehand for a while along with some self-directed PT. So I've been forehand dominant since February and I'm just starting to work backhand back into my game.

As far as forehand, I have 10 years of experience playing baseball (25 years ago) so my forehand developed pretty quickly. I can drive around 350 reliably, out to 375 occasionally, and I've hit 400 a handful of times. I get occasional soreness in the shoulder, but almost never feel anything in the elbow. I use a classic stacked grip with index on top of middle finger.

I'm fairly satisfied with how my game has been progressing but figured it was time for some constructive criticism. Now that I have some distance, I've been working more on accuracy, consistent release points, and angle control. I've also been dropping further down in stability. I have some Roadrunners that I really like to throw, but I still struggle a bit with slower understable discs. I'm starting to see some improvement there, but it's slow going.

I would guess my handicap would be around six right now. I shot my best round ever just a couple of weeks ago. -2 at a course where Drew Gibson regularly shoots -18.

Anyway, here are a couple of clips that a friend shot during this weekend's round. I'll try to record some better shots during my next fieldwork session.

This one is a Star Wraith thrown fairly flat (although I did start my wrist pronation a bit before release on that throw, giving my release a touch of anny).
https://youtube.com/shorts/RyUsuEIuPf8

This one is a pretty well-seasoned Opto River that I was throwing on hyzer to flip up and turn. It was actually a really nice throw, probably 270' with a nice gentle left turn around a tree.
https://youtube.com/shorts/sADRvvdbo0Y

I already see a couple of things to work on, but what do the rest of you think?

1. Turn your phone sideways.
2. Your x-step is too long and you end up leaning way back.

Latest posts