• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest hole you have played

15-Hornet's Nest. This one's maybe more of a personal nemesis. It just doesn't suit my eye well. Par 3, 320, slight up- to downhill. The ridge you go over mid-fairway is a gap about 10'. Hitting that gap alone is tough for me, but the slight uphill to the gap can make the rest of the shot squirrelly. After the gap there's some room to the right to work a shot, but if you don't get the movement back left to the basket, there's OB. Missing the gap, or leaving the fairway anywhere, especially left, makes par really tough. I've birdied it once, had to make about a 35 footer through the V in 'that tree' short of the green. Made plenty of 5s.

I grumble about this one too. The right gap atleast reasonable, the lefty line is silly tight. However, barring a silly tree kick you can recover to make a 3 on this one.

Off the top of my head:

Renny Gold Hole 4
Winthrop Gold 13 (888)
Winthrop Gold 18
Castle Hayne 3

And this is also a good time to point out there is a HUGE difference in a hole being hard because it's hard and a hole being hard because it's stupid.

Nockamixon hole 5 to the long pin. So... many... trees....... Current average in 6.22 in the scorebook.

Hole 10 has an average of 6.12 as well, but I seem to do better on that one.

Todd Park, Austin, MN, Hole 10, 500 ft straight through the woods. I think hole 17 at USDGC is the most mentally intimidating during game time.

Todd Park, Austin, MN, Hole 10, 500 ft straight through the woods.

I played Todd park for the first time post-tornado. I remember best case scenario I could get a 3 on that hole (if I am thinking of the right one) but it seemed more likely I was going to card a 5, and that is assuming I make a putt. I am not quite sure where the damage occurred, but I was under the understanding that it drastically changed many of the holes. Was this one of them? I could not imagine this hole being more difficult because it plays down a (former?) service road with a low ceiling.

It will kick my butt this weekend...

There are numerous brutal holes at the Ozark Mountain DG Complex in Vichy, MO, but Hole 3 on the Spencer-Davis layout is absolutely insane. It is straight up a rocky, insanely steep hill for about the first 350'-400'...it is hard enough just to walk up it, let alone play DG on it. You are lucky if you make it half of the way up on your drive. Once you get to the top of the hill, you take an immediate right and head down a ridge for the next 200'-250'. The elevation change is truly epic and it is not as if there aren't any trees to contend with...there are tons of those too! It is a mind blowing (and often scorecard blowing) hole to say the least!

I've played a lot of challenging holes, there's no way I could pinpoint the hardest one, they all kind of blur together after a while. In order for a hole to really make an impression on me, I must play it often - one of the holes that I play regularly that stands out is Plymouth Creek #8. The course is a fun technical pitch and putt, except for #8 which is killer. Seems like it plays about 600' in the shape of a backwards question mark, the tee at the dot, basket at the far end.
images

A creek (ob) flows along the entire left side and the entire fairway slopes towards the creek. I've come close to having a look at a 3, I maybe have come out of there with a 4, but often it's closer to double digits after having rolled into the creek a couple times and hitting multiple trees.

I think if I played it often enough I would 3 it once in a while, it would take one helluva hyzer that finds its way through the trees to a pinpoint landing area that will give a look at a big turnover or thumber to the pin. Or conceivably (in the winter with no leaves on the trees to open up higher lines), a roller/turnover that finishes high and right giving a tight window for a thumber over the top to the pin.

I played Todd park for the first time post-tornado. I remember best case scenario I could get a 3 on that hole (if I am thinking of the right one) but it seemed more likely I was going to card a 5, and that is assuming I make a putt. I am not quite sure where the damage occurred, but I was under the understanding that it drastically changed many of the holes. Was this one of them? I could not imagine this hole being more difficult because it plays down a (former?) service road with a low ceiling.

i just played it. so there was no ceiling. but wow its a long intimidating hole. shot one with the saint was perfect laser barely any fade or skip. shot two was a buzz that hit a tree. three meteor shower out to far right of the pin. two putt it and i made 5. cool hole.

todd has a few cool holes but ill take my throwing on over to albert lea

I think I have hit a 3 once, and that was with a 150 foot approach shot. However, I hit 4s on a regular basis. Then again, that same day I can turn around the next round and easily card a double digit, double circle score.

I try to throw something like a Roc or a Leopard for the first shot, trying to land it on the right side of that fairway, just before the curve of that inverted question mark. From there I anhyzer something like an Ion or Roc, hard enough where it will make the corner but hopefully with enough loft where it will try to flatten out and land flat. If I am lucky enough where it has not rolled into the stream, by this point I should be sitting pretty enough where a well placed upshot should be under the basket. It is usually this second shot where I get in the most trouble. I have played this course enough where most of the time I am safe off of the tee as there is really only one tree (on the right side of the bridge) I flirt with.

I've played a lot of challenging holes, there's no way I could pinpoint the hardest one, they all kind of blur together after a while. In order for a hole to really make an impression on me, I must play it often - one of the holes that I play regularly that stands out is Plymouth Creek #8. The course is a fun technical pitch and putt, except for #8 which is killer. Seems like it plays about 600' in the shape of a backwards question mark, the tee at the dot, basket at the far end.
images

A creek (ob) flows along the entire left side and the entire fairway slopes towards the creek. I've come close to having a look at a 3, I maybe have come out of there with a 4, but often it's closer to double digits after having rolled into the creek a couple times and hitting multiple trees.

I think if I played it often enough I would 3 it once in a while, it would take one helluva hyzer that finds its way through the trees to a pinpoint landing area that will give a look at a big turnover or thumber to the pin. Or conceivably (in the winter with no leaves on the trees to open up higher lines), a roller/turnover that finishes high and right giving a tight window for a thumber over the top to the pin.

images

you need perfect shots on this hole.

also albert lea, the one where you have to throw a set up fairway drive to around the drop zone. from there you need to throw it over the lake and there is a big ass tree blocking a good portion of the opening needed to park it. i always get scared and take the dry route which is also hard because you need to have a huge hook flick. then a great approach to sink the putt the 4 par. might be hole 17

I think I have hit a 3 once, and that was with a 150 foot approach shot. However, I hit 4s on a regular basis. Then again, that same day I can turn around the next round and easily card a double digit, double circle score.

I try to throw something like a Roc or a Leopard for the first shot, trying to land it on the right side of that fairway, just before the curve of that inverted question mark. From there I anhyzer something like an Ion or Roc, hard enough where it will make the corner but hopefully with enough loft where it will try to flatten out and land flat. If I am lucky enough where it has not rolled into the stream, by this point I should be sitting pretty enough where a well placed upshot should be under the basket. It is usually this second shot where I get in the most trouble. I have played this course enough where most of the time I am safe off of the tee as there is really only one tree (on the right side of the bridge) I flirt with.

i wanna play plymouth creek with you and see this. not saying it cant be done i just would like to see it haha sounds awesome

There were 2 holes at Idlewild that nearly broke me. So many trees, so much OB.

Another one would be french creek #3 900+ feet dog leg left. If you let anything fade out hard left you are down a steep embankment into near jungle like terrain.

Totally, didn't even think about Renny Gold 4. Long and lasery, plus that uturn finish to the RR ties green.

And it used to be harder when that wall wasn't there to protect the creek.

Imagine this folks.

A shot that was SO hard, they built a wall to prevent discs from going OB.

Only time I've ever seen this - seen plenty to protect a tee or whatever, but literally the shot was so hard, they had to build the wall.

Unreal how hard that hole was / is.

Hole 4, long pin, at Camden II. Nasty downhill teeshot over a deceptively deep ravine, if you don't carry it to the landing zone you're boned. A shot from anywhere in the landing zone requires not only ridiculous line shaping but also near full power (for most) to end up anywhere near the pin. Top it off with a nice rollaway-encouraging green. Never carded a 3 on it and rarely get a 4, but it did provide my one and only 9 :wall:

And it used to be harder when that wall wasn't there to protect the creek.

Imagine this folks.

A shot that was SO hard, they built a wall to prevent discs from going OB.

Only time I've ever seen this - seen plenty to protect a tee or whatever, but literally the shot was so hard, they had to build the wall.

Unreal how hard that hole was / is.

damm dog tell me it aint true. im about to have some nightmares

Latest posts