• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest hole you have played

I love hole 11 on the backside of La Mirada park.

325' par 3 with double mandies far right and close left, a low canopy tree dead center 30' in front of the basket, and asphalt OB either side of a 20' straight fairway.

A few options but a left to right skip shot off the sidewalk/street or a l-r anny over the tree with a very gentle drop are about the only two options for an ace.

That hole was so hated when it was first put in. It is a pretty fun one... I rarely land on the grass and I love to go for it. Definitely a tough one.

Here's a pic:

9e3224a7.jpg

I hate when people park on that side. I noticed since many cars have been nailed they are now the last spots to fill up right there by the fields :hfive:

Maybe not the most difficult hole I've played, but hole 16 at Stub Stewart is probably the hardest hole for me, personally. I don't recall ever getting a par on the hole, and I'm a pretty decent golfer.

I don't know the actual length, but I think it's around 430' or so, 20' hallway with slight bends the whole way. If you kick off the fairway, it's very difficult to make forward progress and get back into the fairway. If you kick off to the right, the ground slopes and the disc can sail for quite a while. It just plays really tough for me, and I don't ever get a decent tee shot off.

d71d14fa.jpg

This course looks awesome!! ^^

^ looks very forboding and intimidating

For me as a lefty, Hole #8 Castle Hayne is my most difficult.
It is a par 5, 750' double-dogleg that presents an uphill anhyzer from the tee, with water OB on the right. The uphill line is protected by multiple large trees, so turning early or late can get you a kick OB.
The water runs along the entire right side and the fairway slopes toward the water at the tee and the basket.
For a lefty, the tee shot demands a high anny (a shot I really don't have) and two low, dead-straight throws to get a straight shot at a green that is guarded on the right and left and slopes to the right.
It is basically par 6 for me.

Hole 8 on Highbridge Gold is a 1335' Par 6 but not particularly hard, just long. It has been eagled with a 4 before.

If we are talking about stroke average than I don't know how you can beat this hole in terms of difficulty. Stroke average on this hole is a whopping 7.67 according to DG Course Review advanced stats. I remember playing that hole in 2010 and throwing 3 really good bombs and one shot that wasn't a good shot and I made a 35 footer for 6. I think that may be the hardest hole in terms of scoring average but as Chuck said its not that difficult because its fairly open.

I will also throw my two cents in for Iron Hill #17. Uphill, through the woods and nearly 900 feet. It plays to a 6.48 scoring average.

#15 at Crossroads of Life Church in Duncanville, TX

It's about 500 feet to the end of the tunnel off of the tee. The road to the right is OB.
a3cb0309.jpg

Another 200 feet uphill to the basket hidden behind the trees. Still OB to the right.
818b6daf.jpg

Probably one of the holes at Addison Oaks. Take your pick.

For me as a lefty, Hole #8 Castle Hayne is my most difficult.
It is a par 5, 750' double-dogleg that presents an uphill anhyzer from the tee, with water OB on the right. The uphill line is protected by multiple large trees, so turning early or late can get you a kick OB.
The water runs along the entire right side and the fairway slopes toward the water at the tee and the basket.
For a lefty, the tee shot demands a high anny (a shot I really don't have) and two low, dead-straight throws to get a straight shot at a green that is guarded on the right and left and slopes to the right.
It is basically par 6 for me.

It's 700' feet according to the sign on the tee, but DiscJunkie's right: That B is a par 6 if there ever was one....regardless of which-handedness you are. Takes my lunch money every time.

Hmm.. so many holes im not even sure which could have been the most difficult. Really I have thrown some 200' which by design are damn near nothing but impossible to reach outside of a little luck but played 1000' holes which just need huge drives so its kind of a wash when you consider what holes are hard and the features they can possess.

Hands down hole 4 at Simple pleasures. Long, but more importantly through the woods for the firs half with an awkward flex. GREAT design by course designer Andy Laws.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before...I'll make it an honorable mention:
Legion Park, Cedar Rapids, IA
Hole 7 (I know, the pics say hole 11 and 9, but the course was redone and apparently the pics have not been updated since):
Can't see the basket from the Tee, have to throw to the green over a whole bunch of brush. 1st time I played there I skipped the hole. When I did play it and made the landing zone, and par... :D most satisfying par I have made. Never play this w/o a spotter if you care about your discs!
81be4bce.jpg

20a2e2cd.jpg

Last edited:
#15 at Crossroads of Life Church in Duncanville, TX

It's about 500 feet to the end of the tunnel off of the tee. The road to the right is OB.
a3cb0309.jpg

Another 200 feet uphill to the basket hidden behind the trees. Still OB to the right.
818b6daf.jpg

This is the hole I was going to post. This thing is insane. It got a mention in my review of the course.

That hole was so hated when it was first put in. It is a pretty fun one... I rarely land on the grass and I love to go for it. Definitely a tough one.

Here's a pic:

9e3224a7.jpg

Nice except the far tree on the left before the basket isn't there anymore. I wish they would have left it in place.

Elk Creek DGC in Appamattox, VA. Hole 5 from the Blues is almost stupid. It isn't poor design at all, it's just ridiculously difficult. The picture is below but you can't tell anything about the hole from it.

It flexes out to the left for the first 100 feet or so, slowly curls back to the right for 150' as it drops 30', then pulls back straight for the last 150' and up 30' again. About 40' before the basket there's a pinch in the fairway that's about 4' wide. When there are tourneys there, the average score on the hole is a little over 4, and they play it from the middle tee (take out the first 100' I mentioned). It's, well, hard.

1cd9412f.jpg

Hole 16 (blue) Creekside at Selah Ranch. There's always some kind of headwind that messes with my tee shot. Every time I've played that hole I've screwed up at least one shot and taken at least a bogey.

Hole 16 (blue) Creekside at Selah Ranch. There's always some kind of headwind that messes with my tee shot. Every time I've played that hole I've screwed up at least one shot and taken at least a bogey.

That Miss Piggy quote on the tee sign says it all. :D

Don't get me started on the difficulty of the 510' hole #5. Most everyone I've seen is happy with a five on that one too (but I've seen a doubles partner take a three on it once).

My buddy, who has at most 4 discs in his bag at one time and is the definition of casual player dueced that hole one time. RHFH to the bottom of the hill and RHFH Wasp up the tunnel for duece. :p :thmbup: :popcorn:

after much thought, review and deliberation...the hardest hole I have ever played is any of the holes @ Mt. Bachelor Alpine DGC that run along the side of the mountain and not down the mountain. The wind forcing even the most stable disc to turnover and head down the mountain and then having to throw uphill into headwind...good grief charlie brown.

Last edited:
Hole 4, long pin, at Camden II. Nasty downhill teeshot over a deceptively deep ravine, if you don't carry it to the landing zone you're boned. A shot from anywhere in the landing zone requires not only ridiculous line shaping but also near full power (for most) to end up anywhere near the pin. Top it off with a nice rollaway-encouraging green. Never carded a 3 on it and rarely get a 4, but it did provide my one and only 9 :wall:

The stupid hyzer hole? The one where there's no gap, but everyone just throws a hyzer and deuces it?

And I hit an iron leaf ...

8 at Castle Hayne didn't bother me- I scored a par the first time I played it. Hole 12 on the other hand...

Hole 8 at Springwood before they bush hogged the left side was just impossible! Now it's only nearly impossible, especially from the gold tee. 1212 ft with OB on the left and thick trees and thorns on the right, and a water hazard hard right. The hole is essentially a 4-wheeler path between the woods and a 40 degree hill that has poor footing and plenty of bracken, thorns, and ticks. You tee shot is aiming for a 4 ft wide sliver of a foot path 200+ ft away, throwing directly at the park's main road. But at par 6, it's still doable.

Hole 3 from the golds at Springwood is my least favorite hole ever. 1007 ft curling around a pair of baseball fields, it has a quadruple mando, OB left and right, and a middle section with a steep hill on the outside topped with trees. Your second and third shots are essentially thrown off-balance thanks to the steepness of the hill. The height of the trees essentially forces a tunnel shot, because any shot high and/or curling back to the left skips into the left-hand OB. In fact, perfectly flat throws and anhyser shots eventually get forced back left as well. I've maybe gotten a legit par once and I've played it dozens of times, and there are ball games ongoing constantly as well as teams practicing between the ball fences and the OB lines. I don't even think most players even bother playing the hole as designed and just play straight through the OB. And I miss that last mando by a foot constantly!

Last edited:

Latest posts