• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has changing your grip made this big of a difference?

when I taught my gf to play, she didn't know how to play at all. I tried to balance comfortability with control.

she didn't know how to grip it. She wasn't throwing well at first (expected, she was new) but it wasn't always consistantly bad it always seemed to do different things, not a huge change, but different. Then I went with 3 fingers under with 1 along the rim. This is how I throw it RHBH, and felt it gave me more control over my release angle, and kept it straight. It did the same for her, and she was throwing farther and more consistent. Her next 5 throws were all straight out with a (big) fade at the end. Still needed to work on keeping it down, but it was flat for the most part. So hers had a pretty big impact, easy to improve when you're consistent and know what you need to fix, so hers was just control over her release angle and it seemed to work.

I think that's like the frisbee grip he was talking about. I throw my mid-ranges all that way because the fan grip has just never worked for me. I use a basic power grip for RHBH drives, and 2 fingers along rim for RHFH drives.

Ive been using a three finger power grip more recently and it has helped with grip lock and allows me to get more snap.

the biggest thing i learned is that THERE IS NO ONE 'PERFECT' GRIP. Everyone has different size hands and varying amounts of strength. The purpose of the grip is to give you the most force on the rip point. The rest of the pressure in your grip should only contribute to the force at that point. This is straight from discgolfreview.com Experiment with different grips and use the one that, most importantly, is comfortable but also gives you the most force on the rip point.

I also started using a 2 finger grip on my putter for approaches and the accuracy is scary consistent.

Definitely

I changed from the common frisbee grip (three fingers curled under and the index along the outside rim) to the power grip (index, middle and ring finger curled under) and it made close to 100 ft of difference. ;)

Yesterday I realized I wasn't throwing with my thumb forward anymore. I changed to that and I fixed my problem with being able to throw putters and my accuracy went way up. The last time I played that course I got one or two birdies and after changing my grip I got 3 birdies in 5 holes.

The power grip adds dozens of feet to most people's drive when they first use it. When I went from a fan grip to a 3-fingered power grip, I added several dozen feet to my drives almost overnight. It's extremely hard to throw a disc 300' without a strong grip.

The power grip adds dozens of feet to most people's drive when they first use it. When I went from a fan grip to a 3-fingered power grip, I added several dozen feet to my drives almost overnight. It's extremely hard to throw a disc 300' without a strong grip.

I changed up my grip based on the comments on this board to a power grip and added a consistent 20-30 feet to my drives. Now I have to work on control with the new grip, but I'm happy about the added distance. I never thought that changing up my grip would have as much impact so quickly.

i recently went back to a 3 finger grip and added 30 feet or so to my drives. Before I switched to two finger and added distance and accuracy at that time.
Basically every time I change my grip and run-up I add something.

I have been throwing my R-Pro boss with a common "Frisbee grip" with three fingers under and the index on the edge. Just today i decided i would take a throw with my index and middle finger under the rim putting pressure with just the two and keeping it balanced with the ring and pinkie.

With the first grip i had been getting a very consistant (with a concentration throw) 275 ft.
The first throw after i change my grip... 335 ft.

Have any of you ever noticed a distance change like this? I thought it was jsut luck but then i pulled 2 more 320s, i am very surprised.

yes. Ditto. I used the classic frisbee grip and then tried the 4 finger power grip and all of my drivers went straighter without hardly any fade at the end. I will use it on drives for sure. but still might use the old grip for some shots. but maybe just using the power grip for every shot until you get use to it might be the way to go.:confused:

I do notice that the way I grip a disc depends on what I'm trying to do. Almost similar to a baseball player when he pitches. One grip for a slider, another for the fast ball, and so on. Sometimes I grip it like a normal frisbee, other times I have a lose grip where the wind could rip it from the hand.
For me it works, and I'm happy with the results. And each grip I use gives a diffrent result, besides that each grip I have comes with a diffrent release point. its just what i'm comfy with.

I picked up good distance when switching from two to three and from three to four finger power grips, but the thing that absolutely helped me the most was was slowing down and concentrating on proper form...

Latest posts