• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

gcanter2376

Eagle Member
Had something crazy happen today. Was in a disc golf tourney and had a 5ft birdie putt. The other guys threw their shots until they were under the basket also. At this point my disc was the farthest out and everyone was looking around to see who's turn it was to put. I said "I'll go. Another player agreed and said "go ahead" as it was close but i was out. So I threw my putt in and somehow the guy next me putted at the same time. His putt knocked my birdie putt out of the basket and I had to take a par! He thought the other guy had told him to putt but he actually putted out of turn. For half a second I was pretty angry and I may have gave him a dirty look. Then I had the good sense to laugh it off. Dude felt horrible and it wasn't going to do me any good getting mad about it. It was an honest mistake. Funny thing is I TIED for first. Not blaming him as I made mistakes elsewhere but really? Stuff like that only happens to me.

Seems like an interference rule would come into play for a re-put (IDK the rules well enough to know yet but "that ain't right").

Who hasn't had that happen? I've had a guy lean in to place a marker and pick his disc up real quick after I already started my putt. Got him right in the side of the head. Obviously I didn't throw it with enough force to make it through, so I was down another stroke. Boo. Impatient douches suck.

Seems like 804.03(E) should apply.

A player whose thrown disc was intentionally interfered with by another player as described in 804.03.D.1 has the option of a re-throw.

Though you could argue whether the interference was de facto intentional, the other player certainly meant to putt, and that putt interfered with yours. You should have taken a provisional and appealed to the TD.

why didnt you all re putt

This, with a courtesy warning for the other player for going out of turn.

Also, you tied for 1st after taking this 3 when you should have had 2? Damn, you must be the nicest guy ever! :clap:

double putt

This, with a courtesy warning for the other player for going out of turn.

Also, you tied for 1st after taking this 3 when you should have had 2? Damn, you must be the nicest guy ever! :clap:

Haha. No but I try not to get worked up over disc golf. He didn't cause me to lose. We were only 8 holes in when it happened. Even with that I had a 2 stroke lead going into the last hole and I got a double bogey. So can't blame him when I doubled the last hole.

double putt

Seems like 804.03(E) should apply.

Though you could argue whether the interference was de facto intentional, the other player certainly meant to putt, and that putt interfered with yours. You should have taken a provisional and appealed to the TD.

Lookinh back a provisional prob was the best thing yo do. Not sure if it would do any good. I honestly thought their was nothing that could be done about it. Td is a good friend of mine and I told him what happened after the tourney was over and he was baffled. He said he was going to call pdga and see what ruling on that was just so we know in the unlikely event it happened again.

Its not interference (the intent has to be to interfere, not to perform an action that happens to interfere) and there are no rethrows. Sounds like they did the only thing they could...laugh it off and move on.

Its not interference (the intent has to be to interfere, not to perform an action that happens to interfere) and there are no rethrows. Sounds like they did the only thing they could...laugh it off and move on.
Well, imagine this happening at the Memorial on the lead card in the final round. How would it be treated there? Laughed off?

Well, imagine this happening at the Memorial on the lead card in the final round. How would it be treated there? Laughed off?

McBeast would get pissed, go into SUPER McBeast mode, and shoot a 27 to win by 15.

Last edited:
Had something crazy happen today. Was in a disc golf tourney and had a 5ft birdie putt. The other guys threw their shots until they were under the basket also....

Funny thing is I TIED for first...

you guys didn't see him from five feet away? Wouldn't he have been more or less standing next to you?

Was this a sanctioned tournament? You can't have ties for first. :confused:

Last edited:

I would hope that players on the lead card at such an event would be paying attention enough to not let something like that happen. Frankly, I can't envision a scenario where this happens while both players are within five feet of the basket and both are actually paying attention to what's going on. Someone has to be off in their own little world to putt out from that close and not notice someone else right next to them doing the same thing.

Now take two players out in the fairway somewhere, perhaps one on each side of a fairway, in the rough or with a mound or hill between them so they don't see each other. They both throw at the same time and the discs collide in mid-air...what happens then? Both players believed themselves to be away, perhaps both confirmed with another player in the group or heard a groupmate giving the go-ahead to the other player and thought the go-ahead was for themselves. I'm sure we've all had situations where two discs were in the air at once, mid-air collision or not.

Hard to argue for an interference penalty since there has to be intent. There are no free rethrows in our game unless there's intentional interference with a thrown disc. Replacing a disc to its previous location only applies if it was at rest when interfered with. There's nothing in the book that really covers mid-air collisions and I'd argue that there doesn't really need to be. It's a one in a million kind of occurrence that to me is a matter of fluke chance no different than having a shot skip into OB versus happening to catch a root and the disc stopping just short of an OB line.

It happens and you have to deal with it. Chances are, it will never happen to you again.

you guys didn't see him from five feet away? Wouldn't he have been more or less standing next to you?

Was this a sanctioned tournament? You can't have ties for first. :confused:

He was right next to me but i had my turned at an angle where he wasnt in my vision. Also their was a playoff and i lost it.

Interference does not have to be intentional...here is my take.

Go to part F. You agree on who was out. you were out. Then it is your turn to go, unless you give someone else permission. His equipment was in your way. A provisional should have been taken since you were not following the rules anyway.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/804-the-throw/80403-interference

"Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with a disc in play may occur". He was attempting a throw. Out of turn or not, that's not leaving his equipment. "Leaving" implies at rest. The disc wasn't at rest when the "interference" took place. It was in motion.

At most, he gets a courtesy warning (or a courtesy penalty if he's already received a courtesy warning during the round) for throwing out of turn. There's no provisional to take since there are no throws or re-throws involved with a courtesy violation.

double putt.

Just to clarify he thought the other player told him to go ahead and tap out. He made an honest mistake. He was to my left and out of my vision. He messed up. He didnt cause me to lose. I had a two stroke lead going into the last hole and i double bogied it. Then i lost the playoff. Im not mad and im not complaining. Just thought it was an unique situation.