• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you ever learned a disc that you hated to unlock a new strategy/better form?

It was Innova'a G Star Wombat for me.....an interesting story behind that one (at least to me).

Several years back a friend and I drove up to Huntsville AL to play the courses in the area. While we were at Brahan Spring Park (one of the oldest courses in the country) we ran into Lavonne Wolfe PDGA 580, he invited us to come by his shoe store (where he just happened to also have a disc store).

I picked up a purple G Star Wombat from the shelf and immediately hated it because it was so domey. My friend loved it and bagged it immediately. After watching him master this disc in about a year, I tried it again and hated it due to the dome.

Wombat is about as neutral a disc as is made, it holds whatever line or angle you put it on. My friend was able to turn this disc around right turn corners using a RHBH throw.

After watching him use this disc for years to get out of trouble, I finally decided, that no matter what, I was going to learn this disc. After several hundred throws, I finally got used to the domeyness of it. Now I am able to use this disc for turnover shots where I would normally throw a forehand shot. My forehand game is hit or miss, I only throw forehand when I am left no other options.

The Wombat has given me those options. A tricky disc to learn, but I will never throw another round without it in my bag.

Back then we just called it "plastic". 😆

While the KC might be a bit more overstable than the DX I dont think you will find the difference enough to be significant.

I remember the first time I heard somebody call it "DX." I was like, "You mean like a Toyota?"

THIS

About 30 years ago I made the concerted effort to learn to throw the Roc...

Took a couple years to figure it out

No regrets whatsoever.

Rocs don't beat in,
they mature...

I definitely remember the good players carrying like five Rocs in their bags back in the day, one for each stage of wear.

I think it's a great sign that my 12-year-old is good with them. He's outdriving my drives with Rocs now.

I definitely remember the good players carrying like five Rocs in their bags back in the day, one for each stage of wear.

I think it's a great sign that my 12-year-old is good with them. He's outdriving my drives with Rocs now.

I'm trying cycling for the first time and it's taking a while to get used to. I've been a "different mold for each shot" player for a while, but I'm starting to reduce and I really like it so far.

I'm trying cycling for the first time and it's taking a while to get used to. I've been a "different mold for each shot" player for a while, but I'm starting to reduce and I really like it so far.

I was a minimalist for years until I got a Ridge Roller for my 25th wedding anniversary. I figured with all that space I might as well stupidly spoil myself and carry like 30 Discs everywhere I go. It's like the MLB roster in September. Occasionally a goofy Disc will get some actual playing time!

fresh champ teebird. starting out before i practiced form

'wait they dont fly straight like i see the pros throw'

I've always thrown super overstable stuff with my forehand. Learning to flick my understable discs (currenly a lot of roadrunners) has smoothed my stroke out a ton and taken a lot of stress off my elbow.

I think it is great that you are so supportive of your son playing! It says much about who you are.

Initially I hated the comet, but I could tell that if I learned it, I would for sure become a better player overall. Very neutral, can do a bit of everything but maybe not the best at any one thing. Cleaned up my technique and learned angles, and I have rarely not had one in my bag since then

I didn't quite hate it since I got it for exactly this reason and it's reputation, but it was super frustrating at first. Now, it's the main disc I use to calibrate my fieldwork and probably my most thrown Mid. #CometLoveNotHate

I didn't quite hate it since I got it for exactly this reason and it's reputation, but it was super frustrating at first. Now, it's the main disc I use to calibrate my fieldwork and probably my most thrown Mid. #CometLoveNotHate

I mentioned in the first post about learning the Piwakawaka which I think is a very similar disc to the Comet. Using it for a few weeks I'm starting to dial it in (or at least it's not fluttering over as often :doh:). I'm hoping a little more patience will be rewarding like it was for you.

comet, roc, nova for backhand and upshot sidearm form (and actual sidearms in round too). i didn't actually hate those discs at first.

the disc i hated was the firebird. didn't know how to throw it. but i learned how to love the PD (backhand and forehand), it has a firebird bottoms and it's like a mellow firebird. i slowly figured out how to throw firebirds on golf lines (other than hyzer), flex shots, flare skips, anhyzer trick shots to get out of trouble.

now i love the firebird. i don't throw it much but it's a great tool.

I mentioned in the first post about learning the Piwakawaka which I think is a very similar disc to the Comet. Using it for a few weeks I'm starting to dial it in (or at least it's not fluttering over as often :doh:). I'm hoping a little more patience will be rewarding like it was for you.

I haven't thrown one but it does look like it'd be similar to the Comet. It can definitely be frustrating but if your goal is to get clean power into the disc, it's worth it in the long run.

I've been doing daily form work, so every time I play a round my release point is in a different spot. I always throw Comets a few times first to get my form settled down for the day. If they're flying well, I throw them a ton in the round since they're so versatile and I just love watching them fly (and I mostly play in the woods). If it's a bad day I'll throw more Buzzzes and Envys to rely on more stability.

The Comet, Nova and Aero

Used these all quite a bit for a few years and learned a lot.

Don't bag any of them anymore though.

Dropped the;
Nova, because they are just a bit too deep.
Aero, can't find them any more
Comet, Boycotting Discrap. Besides, I have beat Rocs that cover this slot now.

Kind of. I hate the Zone. I do not understand how it is praised by almost everyone who touches one. I throw it straight into the ground every time. I hate it so much that I bought a second one to make sure I didn't somehow get a dud the first time. Now I hate them both. But I already know I'm going to have one of them in my bag come this spring (MN non-winter player here) because I have to understand how that thing is so universally loved.

fair weather fan

Don't hate it per se but I played with just a 166 leopard for weeks - purely so that I had to dial back on everything and only use good technique.

Sucked for putting though. Ha.