• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you ever learned a disc that you hated to unlock a new strategy/better form?

the1discChallenge

Eagle Member
If this should go in a different area of DGCR, let me know and I can move it!

I was curious if anyone has learned a disc they hate/didn't click with for the sake of getting better. I picked up a Piwakawaka from RPM recently after hearing really great reviews and I can't throw it well. It's similar to the Comet-- touchy, glidey, and very controllable. But I'm going to take some time with it to make my form better. Plus, I don't have a disc like that in my bag and having a super controllable mid will really help my game.

Has anyone done this? What disc did you throw? Did you get better or just resign to the fact that the disc isn't for you?

Way back when I was a dedicated forehand chucker and was trying to get better at backhand, I stumbled onto a 150g Champion Valkyrie. That disc sucked for actual play but it was the best thing ever for diagnosing form and teaching a smooth, nose-down, wobble-free release. I used to play 2-disc rounds with that and a putter.

Took a while to learn how to properly manipulate a roc but it was the key to many other things down the line.

What plastic did you use? I had a KC Pro I just couldn't figure out that i gave to a friend. but I've been thinking about ordering up some DXs to practice with

What plastic did you use? I had a KC Pro I just couldn't figure out that i gave to a friend. but I've been thinking about ordering up some DXs to practice with

Back then we just called it "plastic". 😆

While the KC might be a bit more overstable than the DX I dont think you will find the difference enough to be significant.

Hmm. Maybe the Zone or Firebird.

They are both hugely popular discs that I just never liked or clicked with. I am predominantly a backhand player and the Firebird rim always felt too deep for my taste and I just don't like the way a Zone feels in the hand.

That being said, as I have been starting to work on developing a forehand I have really been enjoying both discs. They both help mask my bad form and I can actually get a decent flight out of them.

Also, I have a very flat Firebird that seems freakishly overstable even by Firebird standards and it has become my absolute favorite thumber disc.

Roc. I didn't force myself to "learn it" per se, but I couldn't make it do anything that I wanted and I stuck with it until I beat it into something that was more useful.

Zone. I had this idea that everything was supposed to flip up and go straight and then fade into the basket. I'd throw these low shots on a steep hyzer that looked like a total shank, but would still land in putting range. Then I finally realized that it doesn't really matter how it looks if it is consistent. And then it just got better when I started messing with forehands.

Yes I get stubborn when I can't throw a disc well. The Ion taught me how to throw putters, the Fuse taught me how to throw smoothly and hyzer flip, the Valkyrie taught me how to throw nose down, the Envy helped me flick putters, etc.

KC Aviar for me. I'm not the best at throwing putters and like mold minimalism. I putt with KC aviars and thought it would be perfect to learn how to throw them as well. They aren't the best throwing putters because they are very touchy to me. A little to much torque and they turn and burn. Too much hyzer and they just hyzer. Not enough spin and they just flutter. But once I learned the angles and got a few beat in a little they became the only putter that I throw now and have quite a bit of confidence in them. I think that there are definitely better throwing putter out there but I like to keep it simple.

Initially I hated the comet, but I could tell that if I learned it, I would for sure become a better player overall. Very neutral, can do a bit of everything but maybe not the best at any one thing. Cleaned up my technique and learned angles, and I have rarely not had one in my bag since then

Initially I hated the comet, but I could tell that if I learned it, I would for sure become a better player overall. Very neutral, can do a bit of everything but maybe not the best at any one thing. Cleaned up my technique and learned angles, and I have rarely not had one in my bag since then

Ugh. Everyone loves the Comet and I really wanted to learn that thing. Guess I'm too much of a Neanderthal to figure that thing out. I found it much more of a touch and finesse disc that just didn't suit my style at all. Lucky for me I figured out I can do Comet type stuff with a Roc with much less skill on my part.

Kind of. I hate the Zone. I do not understand how it is praised by almost everyone who touches one. I throw it straight into the ground every time. I hate it so much that I bought a second one to make sure I didn't somehow get a dud the first time. Now I hate them both. But I already know I'm going to have one of them in my bag come this spring (MN non-winter player here) because I have to understand how that thing is so universally loved.

2020 was my first full calendar year in Disc Golf with a form that worked well enough but could be bad at times. I bought a Wraith Dx and couldn't throw it. A little more than a year now I've cleaned up my form and throw much more consistent with more distance. I made a trip to Lake Marshall (Virginia) this past August and decided to buy some cheap throw aways Wraith (fade) and Valkyrie's (turnover) in case I couldn't carry some water holes, no practice with them. I threw the Wraith Dx and carried the water and hit the barrel, I thought "where did that come", threw it for a few more times and had some good results. I picked up a newer Wraith and a Star Wraith and love throwing them when needed. Even had a nice compliment from a twosome I played threw from the back tees at Waller Mill this morning a heavily wooded course when I split the fairway down the middle.
So, the disc didn't help correct my form, but the Wraith showed me the hard work for over the past year has paid off, and I'm still working on the form. I did buy two Pig's when I decided to get serious with my form for field work. It was a struggle with them, but now I can't live without one in my bag, and I go back to them to tweak or correct my form.

Mirrors my experience, kept putting it back in the bag and then started doing field work for BH form. Can't imagine not having one in the bag now.

Guess I'm too much of a Neanderthal to figure that thing out.
Likely so but even cavemen need a little finesse in their game.

Lucky for me my putter finesse game is solid. Not sure why I struggle with that with mids.

FWIW... the mid was a problem for me unless it was a Buzzz or something I could powergrip but I needed better angle control, putter grip was lousy too I needed to transfer more power, short end of it is I use a birdie grip. Basically a power grip but you pop your middle finger out and give the "birdie" . It gives me better angle control of the disc. A bad grip has led to many bad shots for me. If my fingers are locked on it it's going where I want.

Which brings me to this......
Kind of. I hate the Zone. I do not understand how it is praised by almost everyone who touches one. I throw it straight into the ground every time. I hate it so much that I bought a second one to make sure I didn't somehow get a dud the first time. Now I hate them both. But I already know I'm going to have one of them in my bag come this spring (MN non-winter player here) because I have to understand how that thing is so universally loved.

I don't blame you for hating them. I used to love it, it had its uses, it still has use and is a great disc especially FH...... Back in the day when I loved it though I had big closet full of form problems and toque issues...haha... torque issues. It masked a lot of my problems because it always faded no matter how sloppy I was. It's still good as a wind disc or whatever but there's a ton of torque monkeys out there that will tell you they need a zone/force etc because no other disc can handle their 300' of RAW Power !!

Lucky for me my putter finesse game is solid. Not sure why I struggle with that with mids.
I'm not bad with my putters, but I definitely have the opposite problem from you. My putters are weaker, which is why I'm not throwing anything from MVP right now-- their putters fit too well in my hand and I feel like I should be able to throw any putter at least decently...

Took a while to learn how to properly manipulate a roc but it was the key to many other things down the line.

THIS

About 30 years ago I made the concerted effort to learn to throw the Roc...

Took a couple years to figure it out

No regrets whatsoever.

Rocs don't beat in,
they mature...