• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hello

Scott64a

Hey all,

Just played for the first time yesterday and loved it!
A friend gave me some old hand me down discs and I'm already looking for a new set.
I suppose my small amount of golf experience tells me that having clubs that match your body and style of playing really improves things and keeps bad habits from developing. Is it the same with DG?

If so, what are your recommendations for weight or stabilization for a beginner?
Funds are limited, so a set for $30 or less would be a good start.
(Or free if someone just wants to unload a sort of matched set,) :)

Welcome aboard! will tell you the same thing I told tha last Newbie in the intros forum"

If you check out many of the Newbies looking for advice threads, you'll start to see a common theme:

Avoid high speed (wide rimmed) drivers for a while.
Find a mid and putter that feel comfortable to you and learn how to shape lines with those.
Look for threads and videos on technique to help you avoid developing bad habits to begin with.
There is no best disc or secret formula... don't get sucked into thinking "Maybe this disc will be the one that really changes things for me" ...it really is the archer, not the arrow.

Don't buy into any single post here. If it's solid advice, it will be supported by posts from many experienced DGCR forum participants.

Most of us wish we'd followed that advice; would have gotten better sooner, and spent less on plastic.
There really is a TON of solid info on this site, if you're willing to look for it.

As for weights, I'd suggest staying in the moderate range (about 166 to 172 or so) until you get a feel for which discs work best for you in which weights and what they do. Lighter weights can get you more distance, but can be touchier and have lower stability (assuming all other things are equal). Heavier weights may not necessarily net the same distance, but can be easier to throw (more forgiving of form flaws) and tend to have greater stability. Moreso than stability, weights are a personal preference.

Best advice is to start with fairly neutral molds (in terms of stability) in base line plastic and devlop good technique... then go from there. Stay away from extremes in terms of weights, rim width, and stability early on.

Last edited:
It is silly how many times I've read the same advice on here! Everyone is always looking to improve but it never hurts to ask questions! Like bogey said just look around on the site and a lot of your questions can get answered! This is probably the best hands-off resource for dg, IMO.

But as what bogey said, do that haha! I feel like offering specific discs isn't the most helpful, it is all in comfort! But I can't not recommend a leopard :) it's a great disc from newbie to pro.

Welcome to the addiction, both in dg and DGCR!

Cheers!

I suppose my small amount of golf experience tells me that having clubs that match your body and style of playing really improves things and keeps bad habits from developing. Is it the same with DG?

If so, what are your recommendations for weight or stabilization for a beginner?

Yes & No... really just try out a lot of different discs and find some you like'

Buy used vs new ones and don't care about condition really just understanding flights/throws.
All discs fly and can be thrown :D Slower more understable are easier to start with but overstable will not be as "touchy" basically you have the big bertha's and then old school pitching wedges. Some you can lay into with reckless abandon and the others you need good touch/form.

check out some of these threads for other convo's on this same topic--
***https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790 <---READ!
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72824
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42316

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks guys!

I've got two Innova drivers, a 175 and a 169; a mid range Discraft Buzzz.esp that's .5 to the left, (I don't know the weight,) and a Super Stupid Soft Putter that weighs 174. Sounds like I'm in the weight range.

There's nothing to do but practice throwing these around and using them. I'll get used to the arcs and focus on keeping good form.

I seem to throw much straighter when I fling it sidearm than I do overhand, but want to know if sidearm throws are OK to get used to using.

I think the putter I have might be too floppy for longer putts, it's a SSS Gateway ($$$).

Maybe I'll practice putts from various ranges and see how it throws, and see how it goes. from what I'm reading, a really floppy putter isn't recommended for beginners.

I have no frame of reference though, hahaha
I 'll just have to go after it and see.

dx teebird usually 6-9$
z comet 12-18$
any putter till you find one that works for you

dx is the cheap innova plastic good for beginners
z is the good clear discraft plastic will last a long time

basically a buzz is a slightly more overstable (overstable means disc will tend to go left when thrown right back hand) disc than a comet either will be good for beginners what are the names of your drivers?

Buzzz = keeper, for sure, in any plastic. If it feels good in your hand, it should serve you well for years. One of the most versatile and user friendly discs made.

SSS Putter isn't bad, but if it really feels too soft to you (i.e. to the point it bothers you), then get a putter that feels comfortable to you.

Drivers: Valk and Sidewinder wouldn't have been my recommendations, but they aren't bad by any stretch. Recommend you don't buy new drivers until you get those to turnover legitimately (i.e. not by annying them, but by getting them up to speed where they actually turn in the driection opposite of their fade). You'll probably be able to throw the Sidewinder straighter and farther sooner than the Valk.

Search, read, play and learn the differenece between an anhyzer release, and a turnover shot so that bit about drivers makes more sense.

If you keep asking, you'll get recommendations for all sorts of discs - none of which will really improve your game more than those you already have if you simply learn to use the ones you have with sound technique. Once your form's good and you have a better grasp of the game, you'll proabably have learned what discs will do what you're aren't doing for you at that point.

Heed this and you'll avoid driving yourself nuts trying to figure out which disc to buy next and saving yourself $$ and aggravation.

Almost forgot the most important thing: have fun! :D

Last edited:
You should see a difference in the way discs go left or right are the end of fligt when thrown side arm (pr forhand) vs backhand. Both ways are useful.

Overhand throws are usefull as well, but not that many people can teach you technique for them.

dx teebird usually 6-9$
z comet 12-18$
any putter till you find one that works for you

dx is the cheap innova plastic good for beginners
z is the good clear discraft plastic will last a long time

This. Welcome to the site and the sport!

It sounds like you have a pretty decent set to begin with. I started off with a voodoo, a buzz and a flow. Then went nuts buying discs for the next year. Don't do what I did. It won't help your form. Learn good form and then you buy discs. Saves you a ton of money. Good luck. I would say just replace the putter if you aren't comfortable with it. An aviar is a good start.

I think Tim should have an automated response to all beginner questions. It should just say, "don't waste money on a groove".

To op, I would say you don't have that bad of a set up. I would probably learn your buzz first though. It will come in so handy. I probably use my buzz just as much as I use my putter.

Keep it fun either way. If you get bored of one disc, grab something different and see what new awesome things that disc will do that the other couldn't.

Thanks guys.

I went out with my 10 yr old daughter yesterday and played a round. She only wanted to use the Sidewinder, because it is BLUE. I was made to drive with the Valkyrie and use the Buzzz and SSS putter.

The Buzzz is indeed a versatile and handy disc. I made a 50 ft arcing shot for par by hitting the chains with it and subsequently, it fell into the basket. Like standard golf, those are the things that keep you coming back for more.

I drove OK with the Valkyrie, and was able to get it to fly straight, (as long as my release was timed right,) and could get either a short right fade at the end of a flight throwing sidearm, or a more gradual fade left by throwing backhand. I bet with a little more power it'd fly straighter with a backhand throw and fade later.

The putter is a little floppy, but as long as I don't throw it weakly at the basket, it'll stay up more. It's kind of heavy.

I suppose practicing putts would help. Is it common to underthrow putts?

Playing with a ten year old showed me that even when using ONE disc, one can par, (she did twice,) and if you throw it right, you can smack chains with anything. Big fun!

Welcome to the game and good job starting the next generation into it as well. You found the best site in the world when you joined DGCR, welcome to it as well. Any question you have about the game you will find an answer for here. When i first started i bought tons of discs cause of the color or the stamp and didn't understand how the flew or why.

My advice to you is:
Keep your disc selection thought out and minimal. It's less to carry on the course and easier to learn what you carry.

...and also talk to people, here on the forums or out on the course. I haven't met anyone yet who wasn't excited to talk about the game.

Steer clear of the trees and don't forget to bring a towel!!

Welcome to our little corner of the web! I am new too and I have found out that you may want to invest smaller $ amounts in discs that are already broken in (as in used). That helped my game out a lot.

~ edd

OK, I learned a few things today. One, the Gateway SSS putter is more for a person with experience and one who knows how to finesse it as it should be finessed. :)

Two, I learned the X-step. I'll work on that with snapping a towel while at home, and practice driving with that method. It's all about repeat-ability, just like regular golf.

Three... I learned how to properly line up for putts, and the stance and technique for throwing them straighter and farther.
After finishing up a blustery 16 holes at Devens DGC, my daughter and I stopped in to see Joshua at Hawk's Nest. He's a great guy, and recommended a Wizard RFF with the bead on the edge to help train me in proper grip. He showed me the X-Step and how to approach putts as well. He said he wouldn't recommend an SSS for a beginner. He also showed us a lighter Diamond driver for women, so I got one for my daughter to have all for her very own. :)

Isn't it funny that you can play with three other guys who have played a lot and they never think to show you the fundamentals?

Ah well... It's a learning curve, right?

I look forward to practicing!

No more buying discs for a long time now... got to learn how to throw what I have first, and make their design work for me.