• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help get me to 300 from a standstill

I've fallen back into bad habits and am going back to some of these drills that were originally suggested to me. I took a while to look at my own form and see some things that I've overlooked. Of them, it looks like the weight shift is still something I'm struggling with, despite being aware of what it is. The lack of body control has led me back to some of these fundamental drills, such as the elephant drill, to help drive home the concepts and what they feel like vs. what I feel in my throw now.

Before I go too deep into my own form corrections, can someone else take a look at my elephant walk drill videos below and tell me if I am doing them right? Right away after a few sets I'm beginning to get sore in my obliques and lats -- not something I notice in my regular swing with a disc (maybe I'm actually tapping into the right muscle groups?).

I also notice that my lead shoulder (right shoulder) is no longer pulling up as it does in other videos I've posted here. I can tell that it wants to, but the 3lb hammer is enough resistance to help prevent the shoulder from raising up.

Anything else you guys can spot that I'm doing right/wrong? Thanks!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gMzaZyl-cgI&feature=shares
https://youtube.com/watch?v=PTQWYd5zrdY&feature=shares

Before I go too deep into my own form corrections, can someone else take a look at my elephant walk drill videos below and tell me if I am doing them right?

I think you want to do the ewalk with the hammer only in your swing arm instead of a two-handed swing. Also looks a little like my first attempt so I'll paste in what SW told me.

You are walking/waddling more like a penguin, instead of a human elephant. Note how far your feet are out from each other while I'm walking more centered/inline/tight rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KVWfUkQ3s#t=4m54s

You also want a slight pause at the top where the weight of the swing hits the apex and before it starts swinging back. A nod to the gods.

I think you want to do the ewalk with the hammer only in your swing arm instead of a two-handed swing. Also looks a little like my first attempt so I'll paste in what SW told me.

You also want a slight pause at the top where the weight of the swing hits the apex and before it starts swinging back. A nod to the gods.

Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. I didn't even notice my feet so spread out, but now I can see the waddling that SW22 pointed out in your experience. Even in his elephant walk video, his feet are more in-line like walking a tightrope rather than spread out -- and this follows the way that I walk normally, so I'm seeing the dots connect there.

More attempts at the Elephant Walk drill today. Spent about 10-15 minutes swinging the hammers around (have two at different weights) trying to get a feel for what the weight can teach me. I'm noticing the "deweighting" of the hammer at the top of the backswing followed by the settling into the plant foot, something I've heard in a Clements video posted on this thread. It's hard to get that feeling with just a disc, but the hammer helps to feel the added weight compress through your leg and into the heel. Most importantly, I think this is the beginning of feeling the weight shift from behind, something that I've never really understood or have felt. So, great things happening but still more to learn. Any advice appreciated, thanks!

https://youtu.be/K2Irw8zFpE0
https://youtu.be/6CkbRE1GhTw
https://youtu.be/tuhsSedUEPo
https://youtu.be/wz32PKpPn_s

More attempts at the Elephant Walk drill today. Spent about 10-15 minutes swinging the hammers around (have two at different weights) trying to get a feel for what the weight can teach me.

Coyote Classic was a fun tournament! :)

I'm noticing the "deweighting" of the hammer at the top of the backswing followed by the settling into the plant foot, something I've heard in a Clements video posted on this thread.

I don't think you want to artificially stop the hammer like that. The nod is more of the brief moment that happens naturally at the apex, just let it happen.

It's hard to get that feeling with just a disc, but the hammer helps to feel the added weight compress through your leg and into the heel. Most importantly, I think this is the beginning of feeling the weight shift from behind, something that I've never really understood or have felt. So, great things happening but still more to learn. Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Hammers are a great way to feel the swing. I think it is looking better but you need some side bend and tilt. Also the timing seems a little off. Notice how SW's is heel down/toe up at the start of the swing.

attachment.php

I think you might be able to see it more clearly from a side view.

Attachments

• ecompare.png
    ecompare.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 54
Coyote Classic was a fun tournament! :)

A ton of fun! I'm signed up for the Casitas Campout in March.

Hammers are a great way to feel the swing. I think it is looking better but you need some side bend and tilt. Also the timing seems a little off. Notice how SW's is heel down/toe up at the start of the swing.

attachment.php

Ok so I think the issue with the previous videos is that I was trying hard to keep the hammer in straight swing path, closely mimicking a perfect U with no side to side deviation (if viewed from behind, in line with my shoulders). This was why I wasn't bending at the side or tilting at the waist.

Today I took out the hammer and tried to focus on: 1) not pausing so much at the apex, but just feeling it and letting gravity work; 2) Timing of my lead foot's heel strike with the beginning of the swing/end of the backswing (am I understanding that sequence correctly?); and last 3) Tilting a bit more at the waist and letting the hammer swing slighting around me -- this reminds me of the tilted spiral video from Clement's.

As always, any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Hammer e-walk looks a little better to me. I think you can get a little more oomph coming up the chain from your legs, and let the hammer pull you a little more taut each way. Don't "try" to pause - let the hammer pull you back into the coil in the backswing and forward into the swing with gravity. Feel the rhythm!

I think this is a little more important for you than swinging the hammer standing still right now - I can tell your legs are a little confused about the sequence and pressure and actually walking forward can help. The difference between letting the hammer ragdoll you or not can be tricky to find & e-walk is good at connecting it to something you do all the time.

Went out to the field today to try and translate the hammer ewalk drills into the throwing motion. I'm also working on getting the disc more nose down during it's flight. I'm doing this by supinating the wrist (as the guys at Overthrow Disc teach it). I'm finding that the hammer drills also teach this supination timing if you are correctly leading the downswing with the handle and are flipping so that the hammer head is leading right at that hit point.

This was my first throw and it felt really good and had a solid nose-down flight to about 175 ft. I'm focusing hard on trying to shift from behind and to not strong arm the disc as I have a tendency to do. I'm noting that my shift looks different, and I think it's a good thing. Looks like my weight is more centered and isn't coming forward over my front foot like it used to. However, I do see that my front shoulder looks to rise up a bit as my bringing the disc in front of my body -- is this in indicator that I'm still strong arming the disc a bit?

This was my second throw and it didn't feel nearly as good as the first. I could tell something was off, but am having trouble pinpointing it myself. It looks like I don't turn my shoulders back enough (another thing I'm starting to work on), and that I start my downswing a bit early and with my arm (you can see my shoulder raise up), this causes me to pull the disc across my chest instead of lower near my belt line like a hammer or ewalk drill teaches.
The good news is that I am beginning to feel the difference between a good shot and a bad one. BTW, this shot ended up going to the right of my intended line (a bit of griplock) but still went about 180ft).

This is a hammer throw just for fun. But I think it's good to bring here for improvement.

Wider stance and wider shoulder angle/more shoulder turn.

Wider stance and wider shoulder angle/more shoulder turn.

For sure! I narrowed the stance up a bit this week because it got me closer to the one-leg drill which helped me marry the timing of the figure-8 motion with the weight shift "from behind". I'm slowing trying to break away from my old strong-arming habit, but it's easier said than done. I still think I'm doing it, but not to the same extent as before -- I'd be happy to be wrong here :)

It is pretty nuts to see these more recent videos and see that I'm hardly turning my shoulders at all, even though I was conscious of their rotation and was eager to try and work their rotation more. This goes to show how important it is to film yourself during these form sessions! I thought I was doing it one way, but I couldn't be more wrong -- I'm hardly turning at all!

Can't wait to get back into the field and work on these suggestions. Between the ewalk, shifting from behind, and shoulder rotation, I think I have a lot of things to improve on and can't wait to show you guys the positive changes in my form.

Until then, thanks for all the help everyone! :clap:

I think what SW will help with this but wanted to share:

On the little pumps and arm. I think you're focused a lot on the late slash/slash thru part of the move, but it looks a little crimped in toward your body to me. Relax it a little more and slash thru the release point closer to where your arm naturally extends.

Look at Nybo on the right. The disc is ahead of him relative to the target. Mechanically, the wrist is lagging behind the elbow which is lagging behind his shoulder. So Nybo is "slashing thru" with some tautness coming out of the backswing, and his arm muscles are resisting pocket collapse. This is also why pros' arms fully extend into follow through just after the disc ejects. It's a strange thing if you're not used to it.

ZxsUSsW.png

I had a lot of trouble with this part because my body didn't have any throwing or golf etc muscle memory in my arm for the tension and lag and all that good stuff.

Time stamp ~3:00 here. Not saying hitting the bag is best or works for everyone but it gets at the same thing. I think this worked best for me because I had a martial arts background & physically hitting heavy things comes more naturally to me. Also seabas22 Shaolin or Slash Thru, which inspired this. Also tossing sledgehammers, swinging clubs etc. Ignore my throws here since parts were funky, still a WIP.

https://youtu.be/R_ZJxZUZkLI

Clement had a big influence on SW/seabas and I still like how he talks about the arms here.

Inevitably it's all connected, so improving one thing makes it easier to fix others over time.

I think what SW will help with this but wanted to share:

On the little pumps and arm. I think you're focused a lot on the late slash/slash thru part of the move, but it looks a little crimped in toward your body to me. Relax it a little more and slash thru the release point closer to where your arm naturally extends.

I am pretty focused on the acceleration of the disc as it moves closer to the bottom of the pendulum motion. Working on the timing so that the acceleration works with gravity and not against it. Is this what you would call the late slash/slash through?

I'll try to reassess and relax a bit more. I think the tension might be from just trying a new position.

It's a strange thing if you're not used to it.

I'm definitely not used to any of this. Lol. Never did sports long enough as a kid to gain enough body awareness and positioning -- it's a fun challenge to try and learn this stuff as an adult.

I had a lot of trouble with this part because my body didn't have any throwing or golf etc muscle memory in my arm for the tension and lag and all that good stuff.

Time stamp ~3:00 here. Not saying hitting the bag is best or works for everyone but it gets at the same thing.

https://youtu.be/R_ZJxZUZkLI

I also come from a background without golf or rotational muscle memory, so finding new coaching cues to help drill these body positions is super valuable to me. The video you linked helped a lot. I started practicing against the couch and could tell that it was a very different sensation than when I throw a disc. Felt like my muscles were more engaged and that there was more power at the hit. Looking forward to playing with this a bit more...