• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me Drive!!!!!!

rynehester

I've been playing disc golf for around a year and a half. When I first started playing I only threw forehand. Over the last few months I've been trying to make the transition to work in a solid back hand. I've gotten to where I can throw pretty straight and I max out around 350. I'm pretty accurate around 300 but I feel like I've hit my wall. I know that I don't have the best run up and I'm looking for tips on how to improve. I uploaded a video of me throwing 6 drives each at normal speed and the other in slow motion. Tell me what you see and what you would recommend. Make Me Better!!!!!

/Users/oneear3000/Desktop/Highland Drive.m4v

Maybe its BC I'm on my phone, but did you link the video from your computers desktop? Try uploading it to YouTube and linking from there

Here is the Video this should work… Let me know if you guys have any problems

Last edited:
more newb distance........

let me start by saying i am a newb around the same power and distance. your basic form in the vid looks decent,and if you are seeing 350, thats not bad either..... what i recently discovered for more distance, is getting the hips a little more ahead of the throw combined with a little more reach back. I rently started my x step with my back to the target line. This forces me rotate hips and lower body more to get back to the line. this combined with a more relaxed upper body, results in a better wind up of the body. dont let your shoulders arm get ahead of of the throw. more snap, spin and distace will be the result. tighten up your last step into your plant foot (shorter step), as this is also interfering your hip rotation and balance. Think of an ice skater....when they spin they tighten up to go fast and open up to slow the spin. Should get you 30+/- right away. I have also found that an understable driver thrown on a hyzer flip gets me more distance. I also have a blizzard wraith that gets every bit of the slow speed glide at the finnish. (got 378 out of it yesterday). Dont be afraid to rip @ your practice drive 110% (after warmed up of course) then dial back to a comfortable level. Eventually, your controlled 80% will be equal to your current 110%.....

Last edited:
Watch this video - http://youtu.be/30cUNsWOYSI

You throw through your chest, not your core. Work on slightly bending over and driving through it - that's your core. For me, I started working in more bend of my wrist to gain major torque (and snap) on the disc when released - but that is for later. Right now, I would try the form in this video...this single video changed my drive completely - still always a work in progress.

You may want to post that video over in the technique forum. There are some very helpful and knowledgeable people over there that could really break everything down for you.

i would totally recomend a run up. when you just stand there you are maybe going 1 mph. when you do a run up you get 4-5 mph and the max amount you can accelerate your arm and body with rotation of the hips. also look at your grip. some say the power grip is the best but i feel like i get more power out of a modified power grip. that will depend on you. i recomend watching discraft distance driving or watch avery jenkins distance driving video. you have the X step which will help you. rythem is the key. i know that i struggle in a standing position on a drive. if it is over 100 feet i am always doing a little step up or a walk up to the disc and releasing.

from what i see there you need to do a run up X step. try to turn your hips and have your butt face the target for where your aiming and then get the maximum reach back and pull through. you can gain 50-60 feet in no time.

I've been playing for two months and I've never had a problem with distance despite being 5'11" and 160 (stringy ectomorphic build). I can get well beyond 400' most days. If there's a recognizable thermal it's closer to 500'.

I attribute my freaskish distance to having having a fast run up, followed by a violent snap. If there's not much in my way I'll capitalize on this and throw with a 2 finger grip and really let 'er rip.

This causes the disc to have an absurd amount of spin. With the slightest touch of annhyzer you'll get a super late fade and shots that in my opinion are less accurate but more capable in terms of distance than anything else I've seen. That being said you really need to be careful not to torque it when doing this. It took me 2 weeks to really gain control of the 2 finger release.

I know I'm new and have played much less than you but I've seen this before in my heavier friend who started playing at the same time I did.

I would work on your run-up. Your x-step seems to be nice and snappy, but you're moving forward so slowly it's all you got. If you think your ankles can't take a fast run-up you should try using a blizzard destroyer or some other lightweight disc and annhyzer the **** out of it to milk every last drop of hang time. I've seen players here also use disc with -4/ -5 h/s turn ratings and throw power grips on an almost hyzer line off the tee with pretty much no run-up. This seems to get them a little more distance for whatever reason.

--------->

I should mention that those guys have played for years and make up for their bad distance with good accuracy and later on, putting. Which absolutely kills me after missing over half of my >20' birdie putts and smacking the occasional obstacle halfway down the fairway. I can drive 400' easy and still bogey **** all the time... If you're throwing 350' accurately and you're putting is decent you'd still be par with a lot of the better players here if you're on point. Maybe you should be happy with your distance and just focus on accuracy? Maybe I'm just a nub and don't know better, but 350' is enough to cover over 75% of the holes I've played so far. I'm sure you can find the right disc/grip/throw and get 400+ even without a faster run-up or change in release.

Last edited:
I've been playing for two months and I've never had a problem with distance despite being 5'11" and 160 (stringy ectomorphic build). I can get well beyond 400' most days. If there's a recognizable thermal it's closer to 500'.

I attribute my freaskish distance to having having a fast run up, followed by a violent snap. If there's not much in my way I'll capitalize on this and throw with a 2 finger grip and really let 'er rip.

This causes the disc to have an absurd amount of spin. With the slightest touch of annhyzer you'll get a super late fade and shots that in my opinion are less accurate but more capable in terms of distance than anything else I've seen. That being said you really need to be careful not to torque it when doing this. It took me 2 weeks to really gain control of the 2 finger release.

I know I'm new and have played much less than you but I've seen this before in my heavier friend who started playing at the same time I did.

I would work on your run-up. Your x-step seems to be nice and snappy, but you're moving forward so slowly it's all you got. If you think your ankles can't take a fast run-up you should try using a blizzard destroyer or some other lightweight disc and annhyzer the **** out of it to milk every last drop of hang time. I've seen players here also use disc with -4/ -5 h/s turn ratings and throw power grips on an almost hyzer line off the tee with pretty much no run-up. This seems to get them a little more distance for whatever reason.

Release on anny to get distance is a bad habit and will only hurt your form if your having to throw like this I would suggest some less stable discs.

Release on anny to get distance is a bad habit and will only hurt your form if your having to throw like this I would suggest some less stable discs.

Really? I've heard more than once (from the locals) that the guys who don't have power should try and throw a big S turn using annhyzer throws to get more hangtime? Or use a mamba?

When I release I try and find the line between flipping my disc in terms of power and spin. The slightest touch of anny I use with 2 finger drives might just be me compensating to stop myself from torquing it? Or turning back too soon?

Have I just not yet found discs to match my power? I don't really want an under-stable disc because I put a lot of spin on my throws and whenever I try one I end up getting what looks like a reverse hyzer bomb?
Mind clarifying? I really am only beginning to understand this all.

Last edited:
you aren't really WRONG its just in regards to good form/technique you want to be able to throw a slower disc as far as possible on any line you need (for the most part) while flexing discs out is common for new players, specially throwing FH and will generate the results you mention-- it is not the "right way"

The guys saying to throw understable discs IMO have better advice than the ones saying to flex out everything as understable discs can fly left, straight, and to the right so they are good to learn with in throwing ALL angles/lines etc although a mamba is too fast IMO to be reliable for a new player. 9 speed and under are your friends.

Faster discs will only = more D with good form

Last edited: