• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me find a driver

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am trying to find a disc that will fly fairly straight, for tighter fairways, but will also give me some distance. What would you recommend?

I would suggest the Discraft XL, mine flies exceptionally straight and is one of my longest drivers.

The right driver depends a lot on how far you throw a driver.
So, the next question is:
On a typical throw, without wind, on an even elevation, under control, how far does your disc go (on average)?

champ tee-bird, if u want less fade then Qjls. if you ever played seabrook #3 before ike the Qjls is perfect for that hole and the teebird works good on #2, when you talk about tight fairways i assume you mean trees so quality plastic is a must.

Try a JLS for little or no fade at the end, or a TL for a slight fade at the end. These are my go to fairway drivers when straight line accuracy is a must.

The XL is the way to go. Pro-D is the best one. I look for misprint and used ones, and stock up whenver i can bc I keep losing them.

Star Shark typically goes perfectly straight for me with zero fade, it just sits down. I get 250-270' with it pretty easily. But that's just me... YMMV.

ERic

i just recently bought a starTL and i love it! it flies very straight with a little bit of fade at the end. i would recommend this disc.

you could get 50 people with 50 different answers..for me personally, i throw a beat midrange up to 300'-350' fairly straight

Quoted for truth. Evidence: the above 10-15 posts. Of course these are probably all good recommendations, and I can vouch personally for the straightness of the TL. A lot does depend on how hard you're going to throw it in these conditions.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ymmv

Umm, I'd definitely pick up either a JLS or a Gazelle.

Thanks solomon. I thought that it was just me. And thanks for the link again Adam. I've been referred to it several times on this site.

And I must agree with the JLS fans. I've thrown a lot of Innova molds and not much else so my opinion is quite limited. But the JLS gets ok distance for me and will fly with whatever angle of release I put on it. So a level throw, at less than 100% power goes nice and straight. If I throw it all out, though, it will turn over on me with a level release.

Disclaimer: This is just my best estimation of the disc based upon my assessment of my own technique.

i love the teebird but it has its limitations shot wise if you cant throw sidearm and i know that i said the teebird was the best disc of all time but i think the jls might be better, right now its not in the bag but thats only so ill use the discs im trying to memorize since i already know what the jls can do(300ft hyzers, anhyzers,s-turns,hyzerflips,mid-range shots,lay-ups) the tbirds really more for better players but the jls isnt just a noob disc either i could beat all but the best am players with just a jls and something to putt with i just carry the bag so they wont feel so bad .