• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me shape a shot?

ray1970

* Ace Member *
There's a hole I would like to play better off the tee. Basically, there's a tree line running at a 45 degree angle and I have to hit a gap in the trees at about 280' and the fairway breaks left through the gap.

If I push something too straight it will hit trees on the right side of the gap. Obviously, if my disc fades too soon I'll hit the trees short of the gap.

Now, the gap is reasonable and I don't generally struggle to hit the gap. Where I'm struggling is to avoid going too straight through the gap and pushing into the trees beyond the gap I am throwing a fairly overstable disc that I know will break left short of the trees and into the gap. But, basically, as I'm hyzering through the gap the disc is starting it's downward dive to the ground.

I'm looking for something that will cut left through the gap but carry farther up the fairway. I'm tempted to throw an understable disc on hyzer in hopes of carrying further down the fairway through the gap but if it pushes too straight or stands up then I'm in the trees.

What's my best play here?

Thanks.

Ha. Guess I should have mentioned that my forehand is garbage. It's mediocre out to about 200' but there's no way I'm hitting a gap out past 250.

Thanks everyone.

I'll experiment with a Crave or FD or maybe even a Roc and see what happens.

If that (understable hyzer) gives you trouble, don't forget nose up same throw can help!

Dare I say Roc or Crave might even be too [over]stable? I don't mess with FDs ...point being you'd be surprised even RRs can pull this shot off. Don't be afraid to experiment here good luck:thmbup:

Last edited:
I played a hole in my tourney last week that allowed for an easy shot wide right and around everything, but isn't going to get you closer than about 50 feet. Or a shot similar to what you describe. My normal play was to throw a Fortress around everything, then give the putt a soft bid. I'd never birdied it.

Messed around with a few of my understable discs as a warm up (just because I didn't have to throw them as hard to keep them straight) and liked the line I was seeing.

Threw a high nose up Hatchet on a lot of hyzer and ended up getting within about 15 feet and taking the bird to start my tourney.

Latest posts