• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me understand this rule

pineappletrees

Eagle Member
The "unplayable lie" rule has been reformulated into an "optional rethrow" rule. It is now clear that penalty strokes are not added if the rethrow option is taken, so that double jeopardy is avoided.

Does this mean that If I throw my disc into a huge cluster of trees where I can't throw out of I can retee for a second shot instead of for a 3rd stroke because of the penalty stroke?

I'm not sure the "huge cluster of trees" would count

doesn't this refer more to something that is unsafe?

i.e. an unplayable lie if you drive into a hornets nest or ant hill or giant patch of 2 inch thorns

If you're taking an optional rethrow, a penalty stroke is added. In your example, your second tee shot is your third throw.

The part about "penalty strokes are not added" is saying that additional penalty strokes, like for OB or a missed mando, are not added on top of the optional rethrow penalty.

The optional rethrow is not a free mulligan - it costs you a penalty stroke.

The "unplayable lie" rule has been reformulated into an "optional rethrow" rule. It is now clear that penalty strokes are not added if the rethrow option is taken, so that double jeopardy is avoided.

Does this mean that If I throw my disc into a huge cluster of trees where I can't throw out of I can retee for a second shot instead of for a 3rd stroke because of the penalty stroke?

NO. You'd be re-teeing throwing 3. What it means is you can't get "double"-stroked. In the old days some players might see you shank one into the terribly wooded-briars to the right and when they eye-balled the disc, it's clearly above 2 meters (when 2m rule in effect). The player, realizing this decided to take a re-tee shooting 3. Some players use to claim that since you were already shooting three (b/c the tee shot landed OB over 2 m), that the re-tee stroke would mean you're shooting 4. That is not right. On any shot now you can re-throw from the previous lie with just a one stroke penalty.

It happened in a tournament I was in this past weekend, and Greg parked his re-tee and turned an awful drive OB and at a place it literally took 5-7 minutes to get to his disc, into a 4p.

i.e. an unplayable lie if you drive into a hornets nest or ant hill or giant patch of 2 inch thorns

It is completely up to the player's discretion. It doesn't matter whether the original shot is playable in the opinion of the rest of the group. At any time, a player can choose the optional rethrow. But you count the original shot plus a penalty. So on a tee shot, then the rethrow is the 3rd throw.

"OPTIONAL RETHROW (formerly Unplayable Lie): 803.06
While changing the rule name seems cosmetic, it eliminates a potential double penalty that might occur when the 2m rule was in force and provides an alternate option for missed mandatories. Under the new Optional Rethrow rule, players who miss a mandatory now have the option to rethrow from their original lie instead of the Mando Drop Zone if they prefer.

Essentially, the Optional Rethrow means players may rethrow from their original lie if their disc lands in any of the disc golf penalty hazards – OB, Missed Mando, above 2m and Lost (which already is handled this way) – and receive a 1-throw penalty. Of course just like the old Unplayable Lie rule, a player may choose this Optional Rethrow penalty without permission from the group no matter where their disc lands whether inbounds or a hazard location.

The old Unplayable Lie rule allowed players to either move back up to 5m on the line of play or return and throw from their original lie. The option to move back up to 5m has been eliminated. Throwing again from the original lie is now the only option as the renamed rule indicates."

What about that part? It makes it sound like you always have the option to re throw from your last location.

They changed the name to Optional Rethrow to reduce this confusion. The rule is the same, it's the players choice whether or not they want to use it. It doesn't matter what kind of lie your first throw leaves you with.

A player can use an optional rethrow on any throw. It's totally up to the player if they want to accept an extra stroke and throw again. Any throw - any time. There is no other requirement except the player saying they want to use it.

A hornet nest or ant hill would qualify for free casual relief, but the patch of thorny bushes would not. Either climb in and donate the blood or you can take the optional rethrow (with penalty).

i dont like the rule, i have seen guys miss relatively easy putts that rolled down the side of hills 200 ft away under big canopy who couldnt get back up to be putting a second attempt for anything, who now can just take a rethrow, serious punitive potential goes out the window in alot of situations...

i dont like the rule, i have seen guys miss relatively easy putts that rolled down the side of hills 200 ft away under big canopy who couldnt get back up to be putting a second attempt for anything, who now can just take a rethrow, serious punitive potential goes out the window in alot of situations...

But in that scenario, you want to punish bad luck, not bad throws. The entire purpose of the rule is to make it so that stroke-and-distance is the worst possibly penalty on any throw.

pineappletrees - The old Unplayable Lie rule allowed players to either move back up to 5m on the line of play or return and throw from their original lie. The option to move back up to 5m has been eliminated. Throwing again from the original lie is now the only option as the renamed rule indicates."
The Optional Relief rule provides unlimited relief back on the line of play with a 1-throw penalty.

But in that scenario, you want to punish bad luck, not bad throws. The entire purpose of the rule is to make it so that stroke-and-distance is the worst possibly penalty on any throw.

if i am putting at a basket from 15ft away, that has a huge hill behind it, and i toss a putt with a hyzer angle that misses everything, lands on edge and rolls down the hill is that bad luck? I call it a bad shot....

Bad shot or bad luck - no player should be forced to accept a penalty more than shot & distance, which is the standard penalty for completely throwing off the property, UNLESS they wish to risk more (i.e. "tin cupping" or not using Optional Rethrow).

if i am putting at a basket from 15ft away, that has a huge hill behind it, and i toss a putt with a hyzer angle that misses everything, lands on edge and rolls down the hill is that bad luck? I call it a bad shot....
Well, the misses everything part is also a bad shot when it happens on flat ground, but the lands on edge and rolls down the hill part is to some degree luck. A ground rut or a small plant on the other side of the hill could just as easily stop the disc's progress.

The thing is, the scenario you're describing is about a 1% circumstance where taking the optional rethrow would give a distance to pin advantage versus taking the new lie. In most instances, you would be going backwards.

To clarify,
At a recent tournament , the card ahead of us were putting, OB behind the basket about 35 ft away with a downhill slope to the ob. Person putting is 45 ish ft away, his putt skips off the top, catches an edge, rolls OB.

He can putt from the previous lie, correct? I was under the assumption he could putt from there using this rule, laying the same amount of strokes as if he putted from the OB lie.

In this instance he happened be farther away but with a more managable putt, stroke and distance applies here but what if he was 25 feet away? Still an option to take a stroke and previous lie?

To clarify,
At a recent tournament , the card ahead of us were putting, OB behind the basket about 35 ft away with a downhill slope to the ob. Person putting is 45 ish ft away, his putt skips off the top, catches an edge, rolls OB.

He can putt from the previous lie, correct? I was under the assumption he could putt from there using this rule, laying the same amount of strokes as if he putted from the OB lie.

In this instance he happened be farther away but with a more managable putt, stroke and distance applies here but what if he was 25 feet away? Still an option to take a stroke and previous lie?

ALWAYS an option to throw from the previous lie from anywhere, at anytime, without any permission from anyone! Always a stroke penalty though.

The Optional Relief rule provides unlimited relief back on the line of play with a 1-throw penalty.

So I can mark my disc, declare it unplayable and proceed to throw from any distance directly behind that mark with a one stroke penalty? I might actually bother to learn the rules of this game if they more closely mimic golf...

Latest posts