• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me understand this rule

To clarify,
At a recent tournament , the card ahead of us were putting, OB behind the basket about 35 ft away with a downhill slope to the ob. Person putting is 45 ish ft away, his putt skips off the top, catches an edge, rolls OB.

He can putt from the previous lie, correct? I was under the assumption he could putt from there using this rule, laying the same amount of strokes as if he putted from the OB lie.

In this instance he happened be farther away but with a more managable putt, stroke and distance applies here but what if he was 25 feet away? Still an option to take a stroke and previous lie?

He doesn't even need to use the optional rethrow rule. One of your options when you go OB is to throw from your previous lie. The OB rules is

"A player whose disc is considered out-of-bounds shall receive one penalty throw. The player may elect to play the next shot from:
(1) The previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved from an approximate lie, as agreed to by the majority of the group or an official; or (2) A lie that is up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the point where the disc last crossed into out-of-bounds, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. This holds true even if the direction takes the
lie closer to the hole; or (3) Within the designated Drop Zone, if provided. These options may be limited by the tournament director as a special condition (see 804.01)."

Just to make an additional clarification.

Scenario
Player's drive lands above 2M in a tree. Directly below the disc where the player would mark his lie is a bush and the player has absolutely no line to throw out of the bush.

There are three options here:

1. Player attempts to throw from the new lie out of the bush, throwing for 3 (1 is drive, 2 is 2M penalty, 3 is next shot).

2. Player calls an optional rethrow and throws from the previous lie, a retee, throwing for 3 (1 is drive, 2 is 2M penalty, 3 is next shot).

3. Player marks his lie in the bush then calls optional relief and places his new lie in a position that is behind the previous lie and on the line of play to any distance chosen, throwing for 4 (1 is drive, 2 is 2M penalty, 3 is Optional Relief, 4 is next shot).

You're assuming the 2 meter rule has been stated before the round...it's no longer a standing rule.

I've never paid attention to where people say they are from...I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Sorry FierceTable, I should have used a smiley that indicated my sarcasm. I'm not a fan of using the 2m rule in most cases but it's still used regularly in old school parts of California.

A player can use an optional rethrow on any throw. It's totally up to the player if they want to accept an extra stroke and throw again. Any throw - any time. There is no other requirement except the player saying they want to use it.

A hornet nest or ant hill would qualify for free casual relief, but the patch of thorny bushes would not. Either climb in and donate the blood or you can take the optional rethrow (with penalty).

Thorns, barbed wire, playground equipment, extremely steep slopes, piles of tree branches and logs, even large persistent puddles are all candidates for casual relief if the TD declares it before the round starts.... anything that is a safety hazard.

My home course has many areas of thick hook thorns and even a natural spring that creates a 3inch deep puddle during wet season. we declare casual relief on that stuff. Risking an injury lawsuit to force somebody to play from thorns is ignorant.

Sorry FierceTable, I should have used a smiley that indicated my sarcasm. I'm not a fan of using the 2m rule in most cases but it's still used regularly in old school parts of California.
Totally true. I used to hate it but now I accept it. At this point I would almost feel bad for not taking the stroke.

zenbot<----institutionalized