• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help my throw please

Budman2012

Hi, Im new to these forums. Well being registered that is. I've been doing a lot of research here. I wanted to see if I could get a little help with my throw. Im pretty sure Im using almost all arm. I'm just not sure how to get my body involved. Im throwing just a little over 300 consistently. If you could maybe tell me what Im doing good and what I need to improve, that would be great. It would help me to just add on to my throw. Thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSsGWLsnM64

Looks pretty good overall. Try to plant your right foot at 90 degrees from target. Looks like you are accelerating too early. Slow way down and focus on accelerating at the very last moment. What does the flight of the disc look like? Can you see the top of the disc when it fades to a stop?

Yeah, you are making your move before your weight transfers to the front leg. You need to keep your body turned away more at the plant and let your weight transfer to the front leg from behind you, and then throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSHqnYNijw

I never even noticed that my foot was already slightly towards the target. Thanks for pointing that out. That first throw was one of my better ones actually. It was a Star Wraith that went about 350-375. I threw it flat and it did a big S before landing. But that doesn't happen every time.

I will try and work getting my hips and shoulder farther back and then planting forward like that golf video. Would it be easier to practice this from a standstill similar to traditional golf?

It is definitely easier to get a feel for timing when working from a standstill. But then it is difficult to re-incorporate the run up. For me, I prefer maintaining the run-up but slowing my footwork waaaayyyyy down. Try to focus on the disc pivot and concentrate all of your acceleration/weight shift into that fraction of a second where the disc pivots out of your hand.

If your index finger is sore after a field session, it is a good indication that you are accelerating too early and the disc is slipping out of your lock point before getting a full pivot.

Hi. After those suggestions there is not much to do because you have good form. Then it is mostly a matter of gaining more muscle power and coordination, throwing faster, getting optimal discs to optimal apex height and pushing the front of the disc down.

I just recently found the Hammer pound drills (or the "Secret Technique" i think?) here on the forums. And they have helped tremendously. I have slowed everything way down to a walkthrough with almost no reach back and just focusing on the hit and I'm already throwing the same distance if not further than before. I think I wasn't getting good results before because i never really had a true "hit" in my throw. I might accidently do it one time and have an awesome throw and then not have any hit the next time and the disc would just come out and go somewhere random.