• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help sorting discs into three ability levels

brdshootr

I just started playing disc golf about 3 months ago and have acquired some used discs and bags. I would like to divide my discs into three bags, one for beginner, one for intermediate and one for expert.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 3 mos.
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH 75% RHFH 20% OH 5%

Optional:
Sex: m
Injuries/handicaps?: 53 year old back
Specific areas of desired feedback: Sort my discs into three bags, beginner, intermediate,expert.

Bag:
Lightning starter bag - Beginner
Innova Standard bag - Intermediate
Fade Crunch box - Expert

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
174g Discraft Elite X Avenger
172g Discraft ESP Avenger SS
171g Discraft Elite Z Buzzzz
173g Discraft ESP Crush
176g Discraft Rogue
174g Innova DX Archangel
167g Innova DX Cheetah
174g Innova Star Destroyer
177g Innova Star Destroyer
168g Innova Star Firebird
176g Innova Pro-Line Monster
170g Innova Champ Orc
172g Innova Champ Orc
159g Innova DX Orc
171g Innova Star Teerex
164g Innova DX Valkyrie
174g MVP Neutron Volt

Mids:
180g Innova DX Wolf
174g Innova DX Eagle
178g Innova DX Stingray
170g Innova DX TeeBird

Putters:
176g Discraft Elite APX
177g Discraft Banger GT
175g Innova DX Aviar
176g Innova R-Pro Aviar
175g Innova Champ Rhyno

Help needed dividing theses disk among the 3 bags mentioned earlier. Just change the font color to the color for the bag you a suggesting.

All input is appreciated.

Carl

First of all, the Eagle and Teebird are not mids, they are fairway drivers. I wouldn't recommend the Wolf for anyone, and I know very little about the Stingray. You have Z Buzzz listed as a driver, but that is definitely a mid.

Beginner Bag

DX Valkyrie
Z Buzzz
DX Aviar

This is all a beginner really needs. Maybe throw in the Teebird as well for a more overstable driver.

Intermediate Bag

Beginner bag +
Elite X Avenger for added distance
Star Firebird for utility
Champ Rhyno for a hard fading putter

Expert Bag

Intermediate Bag +
Destroyer and Avenger SS

How far can you throw each of these discs? That will help determine how they should be stratified based on your skill level.

As I stated I am just learning. If I get a good throw off I can usually send the Cheetah about 250-300 ft. RHFH.

First of all, the Eagle and Teebird are not mids, they are fairway drivers. I wouldn't recommend the Wolf for anyone, and I know very little about the Stingray. You have Z Buzzz listed as a driver, but that is definitely a mid.

I thought a fairway driver was a kind of mid range. What is the difference between the 2 types?

I can throw the wolf pretty good. Why do you not recommend it? The guy at the disc shop picked it out knowing I was a beginner.

Bag:
Lightning starter bag - 1
Innova Standard bag - 2
Fade Crunch box -3

174g Discraft Elite X Avenger-?
172g Discraft ESP Avenger SS-?
171g Discraft Elite Z Buzzzz -1
173g Discraft ESP Crush-?
176g Discraft Rogue-?
174g Innova DX Archangel-1
167g Innova DX Cheetah -1
174g Innova Star Destroyer-3
177g Innova Star Destroyer-3
168g Innova Star Firebird-1
176g Innova Pro-Line Monster-3
170g Innova Champ Orc-2
172g Innova Champ Orc-2
159g Innova DX Orc-2
171g Innova Star Teerex-3
164g Innova DX Valkyrie-1
174g MVP Neutron Volt-2

Mids:
180g Innova DX Wolf-0
174g Innova DX Eagle-1
178g Innova DX Stingray-1
170g Innova DX TeeBird-2

Putters:
176g Discraft Elite APX -?
177g Discraft Banger GT-?
175g Innova DX Aviar-1
176g Innova R-Pro Aviar-1
175g Innova Champ Rhyno-1.5
I'd start with the Valkyrie and Cheetah as you two main drivers. Valkyrie might be a little too much for you right now, but it should be more overstable then your Cheetah at your range. The Firebird is a meathook, and probably too much disc for you at the moment, but it's amazing into a headwind, overhands, and for low skip shots, which are all useful.

The Buzzz and Stingray as mids. Buzzz for straight to right (RHFH), and the Stingray will surely go Left (RHFH), as the Buzzz is more overstable than the Stingray. The wolf gets a lot of hate around here for being a glideless understable mid. In my opinion, there's nothing the wolf can do that the stingray can't do better.

Aviar should be your putter inside 30', and the Rhyno is great in the wind, or when you need to punch out of the thicket. Don't know much about discraft putters, maybe the APX is a good approach disc?

Work on your backhand and overhand, too. As you start getting out to a consistent 300-325' with the backhand, start working an Orc, the Teebird, and the Volt into the mix. I don't know much about discraft drivers, I'm afraid. I stick with their mids and fairways.

If I were you, I'd forget about the teerex and destroyers until you're making well over 350, maybe 400'.

That's just my recommendation, but I'm just some guy on the web.

One more thing we need to know before we proceed.

Is it your intention to stay away from the "expert" bag until you feel your are ready, or are you going to tackle that bag at the same time you are also using the other bags? Basically, are you going to be going through a progession, "retiring" the beginner bag when you feel you are ready for the other discs?

Also, I have always hated the term "beginner" discs. There are discs that due to their stability and high tolerance to nose angle issues are inherently easier to throw by newer players. However, there are really no discs that are inherently bad for advanced players because they are beginner discs. A decent player will recognize that all discs have the potential to accomplish something useful for their game. The only reason people are selective about their discs is because they want discs that suit their grip and technique. By minimizing the need to alter their technique to conform to what a disc can do can help improve accuracy and build muscle memory.

So, in reality, what we should be doing for you to help is not necessarily sorting discs into skill level, but into groupings that will start you on the path of discovering what your technique is going to be. Some discs will fade out but same will follow you throughout your playing career. For better or worse, this may require the purchase of some additional discs if you intend to have three fully stocked bags at the same time. You will find a good portion of the fun in this sport is buying and trying out new discs anyway.

Finally, commit to a putter early. The worst thing you can do is have a "beginner" putter, become good at it, develop muscle memory, and then feel you need to graduate to another putter. You will start the learning process all over again. Preferably I like to carry two putters for putting (Judge and Rhyno); one for longer straigh putts and one for close power putts or handling the wind. I actually carry a third putter (Neutron Ion), but it is used almost exclusively for driving and long approaches.

This should be your core bag, it will cover most shots and stability range. The star could be your smaller bag.

Putters:
-Aviar*
-Rhyno

Mids:
-Buzzz*
-Stingray-

Fairway drivers:
-Cheetah*
-Eagle
-TeeBird*
-Orc

Distance drivers:
-Avenger SS*
-Valkyrie
-Crush
-Destroyer (forehand)*

Eventually you will see some overlap from the Avenger SS and Valkyrie and will likely drop one in favor of brand loyalty. The same is true of the TeeBird and Eagle; while they will fly differently, often the end result is the same. You will end up pick one that suits your technique better. Eventually you will need to pick up a more stable mid like a Wasp, Gator, Hornet, Vector, or Cro. In some cases, depending on how you use it, the Orc and Crush may compete for shots and at the end of the day you will likely drop one of the two.

At some point you may want to try the Volt because it falls between the Eagle and TeeBird, but the shallower grip has caused issue with some people. It may fit perfect for you and it may not.

The X Avenger is a good disc but fits between your Orc and Crush. In the end you might actually use it in place of carrying those two discs.

Finally, buy, trade, or borrow the following discs:

Roc- You will become a part of the age old debate of what is the best mid, a Buzzz or Roc. The difference really comes down to how they fit into your grip. The flights will be slightly different, but they fill essentially the same role in your bag. Once you figure out whether you like the Buzzz or Roc, more, buy multiples.

Leopard - It is a step below the Eagle and TeeBird in stability but is definitely a workhorse fairway driver. They play well with whatever you choose between the Eagle and TeeBird.

I thought a fairway driver was a kind of mid range. What is the difference between the 2 types?

I can throw the wolf pretty good. Why do you not recommend it? The guy at the disc shop picked it out knowing I was a beginner.

While some will drive with putters and mids, a mid is supposed to bridge the gap between putters and fairway drivers. Essentially, mids are suppose to be for getting out of trouble, long approaches, and placement for second or third shots.

Fairway drivers are more for you tee shots where you do not need maximum distance. This is when placement and precision are more crucial because of wooded courses or obstacles. Traditionally you do not mind coming up short of the basket as long as you are within reach of the basket because of accuracy. Eventually, as you throw further, fairways are still awesome because it will allow you to make precise ace runs.

The more popular mids are:

Rocs
Buzzzes

Second Tier would be:
Stingrays
Axis
Vectors
Pains
Sharks
Warships
Ibex
Ghosts
Hornets
Drones
Meteors

The rim is the big difference. The Eagle and Teebird have the typical beveled edge of a driver while the Buzzz has a more blunt wing shape.

As for flight, don't let the name "Fairway Driver" fool you. You can get really good distance out of these discs.

I actually got a Wolf for my wife's starter set way back in the day when she said she would actually play with me from time-to-time if she had her own discs.

It just seems to fly like a brick. You really have to force it to go where you want. A Shark or Buzzz is a lot easier to control.

While some will drive with putters and mids, a mid is supposed to bridge the gap between putters and fairway drivers. Essentially, mids are suppose to be for getting out of trouble, long approaches, and placement for second or third shots.

Fairway drivers are more for you tee shots where you do not need maximum distance. This is when placement and precision are more crucial because of wooded courses or obstacles. Traditionally you do not mind coming up short of the basket as long as you are within reach of the basket because of accuracy. Eventually, as you throw further, fairways are still awesome because it will allow you to make precise ace runs.

The more popular mids are:

Rocs
Buzzzes

Second Tier would be:
Stingrays
Axis
Vectors
Pains
Sharks
Warships
Ibex
Ghosts
Hornets
Drones
Meteors
Md2
Dont forget Md2 ;)

One more thing we need to know before we proceed.

Is it your intention to stay away from the "expert" bag until you feel your are ready, or are you going to tackle that bag at the same time you are also using the other bags? Basically, are you going to be going through a progession, "retiring" the beginner bag when you feel you are ready for the other discs?
I want the bags set up this way so I can let a friend or friends use the beginner or intermediate bag while I play with the expert bag. I realize some of the discs may be more difficult to throw and controll but you have to learn sometime, right?

Maybe a better question would be, which discs should I cherry pick for myself and which discs should I let others use? I want to use the Fade crunch box as my main bag and need help filling it up. I have read other replies that say all a beginner needs is three disc, but I have room for 12-13 so which should I use from the original list? I will then divide the remainder up between the other 2 bags.

Thanks agan for all your help.

Carl

I want the bags set up this way so I can let a friend or friends use the beginner or intermediate bag while I play with the expert bag. I realize some of the discs may be more difficult to throw and controll but you have to learn sometime, right?

Maybe a better question would be, which discs should I cherry pick for myself and which discs should I let others use? I want to use the Fade crunch box as my main bag and need help filling it up. I have read other replies that say all a beginner needs is three disc, but I have room for 12-13 so which should I use from the original list? I will then divide the remainder up between the other 2 bags.

Thanks agan for all your help.

Carl
If you want to fill your crunch box which probably nobody will recommend with your experience and you want the discs to be from your original list then take all the putters (5) and wolf, stingray ,buzzz, cheetah, archangel,avenger ss,and then eagle or teebird. Or then if you just want to have fun throw your high speed distance drivers and then you dont develop anything in your game.

I highly recommend to start with small bag and from your list they would be something like this:

Drivers:
Avenger ss max distance
Cheetah main driver
Teebird or eagle for wind
Mids:
Buzzz most midrange shots
stingray for understable shots (might even be unnecessary you could throw your midrange shots with just the buzzz)
Putters:
Both Aviars or the one you like the most
Rhyno for wind

Last edited:
Some people just don't want to let go of the investment they dropped into discs. At some point you're going to have say ok, I went bezerk and bought a bunch of discs I shouldn't be using. I would take the advice with a grain if salt. If your just out to have fun then disregard.

If I were to build a bag for a random person assuming their skill level, this is what I would do (I would throw the intermediate bag):

Beginner:

Elite X Avenger
ESP Avenger SS
Z Buzzz
DX Stingray
DX Aviar

Intermediate:

Star Firebird
Elite X Avenger
ESP Avenger SS
Z Buzzz
DX Stingray
DX Aviar

Expert:

Star Teerex
Star Destroyer (assuming they fly differently)
Star Destroyer
Star Firebird
Elite X Avenger
ESP Avenger SS
Z Buzzz
DX Stingray
DX Aviar
Champ Rhyno

Honestly, with this many discs to choose from, you'll get lots of different answers, but you should be able to identify a trend, especially with the drivers. I think the DX Stingray is really underrated, and you should give it a try. Between it and the Z Buzzz, I think you'll have all your shots covered.

Bag:
Fade Crunch box

Fairways:
170g Innova DX TeeBird
167g Innova DX Cheetah

Mids:
178g Innova DX Stingray

Putters:
175g Innova DX Aviar
175g Innova Champ Rhyno

I would suggest something like this for a bag just starting. Beginner, Intermediate and Expert bags don't make sense to me. It's more about what you feel you could cover all the shots necessary for a certain course with.

A lot of your listed discs won't prove useful for you for a while.

For what it is worth, here is my Crunch Bag setup. It works for me, and obviously my form is likely different from yours right now, but the reasoning for my selections are sound and while it may not be what you need disc for disc, it should be what you need to have in your bag to tackle most courses.

Two Putters in the front pocket and 10 in the main compartment.

Putters: (* = in the front pocket)
*Soft Judge - Long putts and short approaches
*Champion Rhyno (flexible) - For short putts, into the wind putts, and hyzer spike approaches
Neutron Ion - For driving and long approaches so I do not chew up my Judge, can often act as a mid

Mids:
Z Buzzz SS - Understable, floating mid drives, shaping lines, and long but narrow approaches
Icon Ghost - Workhorse mid, hard and fast line shaping, mid drives
Z Hornet - Overstable mid for flat 2nd shots and short drives with a healthy hook at the end

Fairway Drivers:
Pinnacle Rival - Incredibly stable but neutral driver for long and low precision drives
Star Leopard - For softer precision drives, making a turn or holding a fade, slight hyzerflip
Champion Firebird - Overstable duties, forehand shots, into the wind, thumbers
Champion TeeBird+ - Wind resistant version of the Rival with more glide

Distance Drivers:
Pinnacle Canon - Maximum open field distance
Champion Valkyrie - Same as the Canon but when I am in a funk or feel uncomfortable throwing wide rimmed drivers

In the past I would carry a Meteor in place of the Ion, and while they throw differently because of their stability, the end results for me where similar enough that in my Crunch bag I would rather have the more versitile Ion. In my Carolina bag I still carry both.

I find that I throw my Ions, Ghosts, Leopards, and Rivals the most. Everything else just acts like utility around that core. For you, this would likely be your Aviars, Buzzzes, Cheetahs, and TeeBirds.

A leopard is a beginner friendly disc, but can be used well by advanced players. Discs are not one or the other, they are versatile

If you want to know what other are throwing look at:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81425&highlight=results

Otherwise I've your just trying to sort the disc you already have:

Beginner Bag
175g Innova DX Aviar
Go buy a DX mid to high 160s leopard

Intermediate Bag
176g Innova R-Pro Aviar
Go buy a Buzzz or Roc
167g Innova DX Cheetah
170g Innova DX TeeBird
164g Innova DX Valkyrie
170g Innova Champ Orc

Advance Bag
176g Discraft Elite APX
175g Innova Champ Rhyno
Go buy another Buzzz or Roc
178g Innova DX Stingray
174g Innova DX Archangel
174g MVP Neutron Volt
174g Innova DX Eagle
174g Discraft Elite X Avenger ??
172g Discraft ESP Avenger SS ??

Put away or trade
177g Discraft Banger GT - keep as another putter
180g Innova DX Wolf
173g Discraft ESP Crush
176g Discraft Rogue
172g Innova Champ Orc
159g Innova DX Orc
171g Innova Star Teerex

The problem is you don't have many mids to choice from. You've fallen into the same trap that most new players do. Buying a bunch of drivers that your not ready for or odd discs that very few people use.

I just started playing disc golf about 3 months ago and have acquired some used discs and bags. I would like to divide my discs into three bags, one for beginner, one for intermediate and one for expert.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 3 mos.
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH 75% RHFH 20% OH 5%

Optional:
Sex: m
Injuries/handicaps?: 53 year old back
Specific areas of desired feedback: Sort my discs into three bags, beginner, intermediate,expert.

Bag:
Lightning starter bag - Beginner
Innova Standard bag - Intermediate
Fade Crunch box - Expert

174g Discraft Elite X Avenger
173g Discraft ESP Crush
176g Discraft Rogue
174g Innova DX Archangel
167g Innova DX Cheetah
170g Innova Champ Orc
172g Innova Champ Orc
159g Innova DX Orc
171g Innova Star Teerex
164g Innova DX Valkyrie
174g MVP Neutron Volt

Mids:
180g Innova DX Wolf
174g Innova DX Eagle
178g Innova DX Stingray
170g Innova DX TeeBird

Putters:
176g Discraft Elite APX
177g Discraft Banger GT
175g Innova DX Aviar
176g Innova R-Pro Aviar
175g Innova Champ Rhyno

Help needed dividing theses disk among the 3 bags mentioned earlier. Just change the font color to the color for the bag you a suggesting.

All input is appreciated.

Carl

I haven't been at this a year yet, but that is good in that my memory of being new is fresh. Otoh, I don't know a lot of the discs that you have....

Putters: I'm surprised no one has said it yet, since I see this advice on here a lot, but try all 5 of the putters and see works best for you. What fits your hand best? Which one's grip suits you best? Which do you have the most success with?

Personally, if all my discs were gone and I had yours instead, I bet that I would be using the R-Pro Aviar, except for when it is windy, and then I would be using the Rhyno. The other 3 would be loaners/backups.

Mids: I think that no one, including yourself, will appreciate that Wolf a tenth as much as a frisbee loving dog, and you will gain more from the dog's gratitude than you possibly could from using the disc. I read a lot of hate for the Wolf on here and thought that it was exaggerated. Then I found a Wolf on a course, took it out on the practice field, and tried it out... :thmbdown:

The Stingray is a good beginner's disc. (The only ones from Innova that I might recommend more are the Cobra and the Skeeter.) Keep that and the Buzzz and the Teebird in your bag.

Drivers: The Archangel is supposed to be beginner friendly, so you might keep it. Also the Cheetah and the Valkyrie. Honestly, though, unless you are on a course with a lot of long holes, you should put all the other drivers aside and forget about them for a while. I heard that advice over and over and thought that it did not make much sense. Then one day in late Sept. I threw a bunch of different discs--mids and drivers-- that were all overstable and found that I was throwing them all within 10' of each other. So I put aside my drivers and have been mids and putters only. Driving with a Buzzz, Axis, Vector, or Comet since then has brought me some real improvement in my RHBH driving, both in distance and accuracy.

One other thing, most of those discs are fairly heavy. Except when it is windy I throw mids and drivers that are in the low 160's or lower. Your arm will thank you, and you probably be able to throw better, if you get a few 150 class discs.

Latest posts