• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with dyeing Westside BT-hard plastic?

FinHatch

Birdie Member
Hello.

I have a white Westside Harp that is in BT hard plastic(same as Latitude zero hard and DD classic), all my bags other discs are currently pink and I would like this to match.

I already tried soaking the disc for 2 days in pink iDye water-based solution, only gained a slightest hint of pink hue.

Is there any tips to dye this disc, any point trying alcohol based iDye solution etc?

Thanks

I honestly haven't tried to dye the BT material but what sort of iDye mixture did you use?

I wanted a blood red dye once so rather than just a couple of teaspoons of dye I pretty much just used the whole package and dissolved it in about four cups of really hot water. Four hours later, this is what I got...

IMG_0583.jpg

Also, are you using a pink dye or red? Lots of times when I am trying to get a nice red color it turns out pink. Maybe use red dye and see if it turns out pink?

If it turns out that you can't get the pink color you're after, you could just try and find a pink Harp.

I honestly haven't tried to dye the BT material but what sort of iDye mixture did you use?

I wanted a blood red dye once so rather than just a couple of teaspoons of dye I pretty much just used the whole package and dissolved it in about four cups of really hot water. Four hours later, this is what I got...

View attachment 71708

Also, are you using a pink dye or red? Lots of times when I am trying to get a nice red color it turns out pink. Maybe use red dye and see if it turns out pink?

If it turns out that you can't get the pink color you're after, you could just try and find a pink Harp.

It was an old solution but if I recall correctly the package said "Pink" and I dissolved the whole amount in around 1 liter of water.

Yeah I tried to find a pink disc from stores but couldnt find any at the moment.

Guess what Im asking is that do you folks know if alcohol based dye-solutions absorb faster/better? Never tried anything but water-based over night.

If so then I could dissolve some red iDye to some alcohol solution and try again

You have to get the dye mixture hot. So put the dye in a pot and heat it up on the stove not to boiling but hot. Shut off the heat and submerge your disc and let it sit until its cool. Take your disc out and repeat the process but this time let it sit over night after you shut off the heat. I have had really good luck dying Innova DX and gateway SuperSoft plastic this way it just takes a while. I use one packet of Idye to 1qt of water if I am coloring a disc a single dip dye color like you are doing. It does not take the dye as well as the premium plastics but enough that you can change the color it may not be vibrant but it wont be white. I have not tried this method with the BT hard plastic but it works on DD classic and classic soft. I would try the heat and see if it helps. Good Luck!

Disc Golf Center has a pink-ish BT Hard Harp on their site.