• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with reducing forehand flutter

Yeah best thing will be to get video to see where you're at. But I was at 300' for a while with FH, then having a closed plant and not keeping the elbow "in" got me to 325'+ (I had my elbow too close to my hip, lost all connection to torso). After that it was a good clean shift with the elbow/reachback in the right position to 350' or so. Then the shift from behind, which allowed for a better arm swing and leveraged shot has got me to ~375'...I've hit ~400' too but not common. My forehand isn't perfect or else the distance would be further, my point is just that the extra distance has come by fixing form and not by throwing harder at all. That sounds obvious, but with forehands guys tend to try to juice it or put anny on a shot to throw farther...this isn't the way to actually get distance.

The only thing that helped me to get rid of wobble was flicking neutral discs like teebirds/saint pros. Beat in ones to. Extreme wobble is a result of turning your wrist before you release. You throw a side arm on an extreme hyzer, and its nearly impossible for it flutter. Learning the hyzer flip cleaned up my form. My problem then was throwing OS plastic, and sawing it off, but there was never any wobble. The learning curve came in compensating my learned hyzer flip release to become a flatter release. At that point though, the shot itself was much easier and cleaner, and it was pretty much just trial and error in throwing flex shots without flutter.

The only thing that helped me to get rid of wobble was flicking neutral discs like teebirds/saint pros. Beat in ones to. Extreme wobble is a result of turning your wrist before you release. You throw a side arm on an extreme hyzer, and its nearly impossible for it flutter. Learning the hyzer flip cleaned up my form. My problem then was throwing OS plastic, and sawing it off, but there was never any wobble. The learning curve came in compensating my learned hyzer flip release to become a flatter release. At that point though, the shot itself was much easier and cleaner, and it was pretty much just trial and error in throwing flex shots without flutter.

I actually get the most flutter when throwing on an extreme hyzer or anhyzer. The flippiest thing I throw is a Champ Katana but it has almost too much turn. I need something a little more stable to start practicing hyzer flips. I have a TD Rush on the way and a River, I'll probably start with those.

My middle finger pad is on the rim but maybe I'll try to exaggerate it more on steep hyzers. Actually a star teebird is one of my farthest flyers cause it's just a laser beam and I can throw it really smooth.

Your grip shouldn't change on hyzer vs. flat vs. anhyzer. Change your torso angle a bit and arm slot/forearm angle. You'll get flutter because you try to roll the shot over or flatten it. Don't expect hyzers to go as far...just try to throw little 100' hyzers on a steep 20-30 degree or more angle without any flutter. Ramp up the speed a bit at a time and it should stay really clean. If you're good at throwing flat then you should be fine. Just going to a new release angle and doing so at high power can make some things go wrong, make angle and power adjustments until it stays clean and make sure your follow through is consistent with your line, no matter if you want the disc to hold a hyzer or expect it to flip.

So I got some videos of my throw. Any tips on how to upload them here? When I tried to upload straight from my phone it didn't work.

For some reason the upload ruined this video. Was shot in widescreen but uploaded as portrait? And had to add slow mo through youtube even though it was shot that way.

Anyway this is the video I could get for right now. Keep in mind that I usually follow through with my shots. I guess my body was just tired and I had a terrible round because of it. This should be a good idea of my form though.

To embed, it's just the part after the v= of the URL to put in the code.

Watch this video, try to feel what he's showing...especially with something heavy like a hammer. You aren't really shifting your weight/getting leverage, your right hip is just turning forward.

Rear foot too facing forward, restricts your ability to turn hips/shoulders back in backswing and stride closed. See John Madden video above talking about striding the front foot closed and keeping the front shoulder closed.

And I'm not sure what you mean by rear foot too facing foward. If you mean my right foot, it looks like my toe is cocked off to the side. Should it be more than that?

You are going to seriously restrict your swing/throw. Might be ok for an infield play but not if you want effortless velocity.

Latest posts