• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

hey

treethacker

Birdie Member
hello everyone!

Hope you all have a great 2011!
I have not hit the disc golf course in about two months.
Frustration with distance and playing by myself a lot made me kind of cash it in. So.........for those of you who have been in that boat,what was your motivation to get back on the course?

itt sucks playing alone.... you have to join a league... least then you have compition

Love of the sport. Sometimes you need a break-now get back out there!

Dont become consumed with distance. Play some shorter wooded courses and work on your skills. Play putter only rounds, putter and mid rounds, and other strange combinations to work on your accuracy and skill set. Distance will come, even if slowly.

I play alone a lot, and don't mind it at all. It allows me to practice things without worrying about being competitive or looking like more of an amateur than I already am. Embrace solo rounds. They can get you better.

playing alone really helps you work on your game without distractions. too many things going on when i'm playing with a group. when i solo, it's just me, my plastic, the trees, and the baskets

I just couldn't do without the sport. I love it. You just have to get out there and practice doing one thing all the time and being consistent, and the distance will eventually come.

Good luck!

itt sucks playing alone.... you have to join a league... least then you have compition

This actually makes a lot of sense.
Join a league.
Enter some tournies in Rec.
Play a crowded course.
It's not all about the score, unless you're playing with someone worse than you. Then you can kick their a**.

So.........for those of you who have been in that boat,what was your motivation to get back on the course?

Do you remember any of your shots that you really enjoyed? If so, there's your motivation. I've often said that in most every round there' one or two shots that really look pretty. That's what keeps my coming back and striving to get better.

As for distance, that will come with practice and experience. In the past few years I've injured myself and basically had to learn the game all over again. My average distance dropped to less than 200`. It'll never be back to it's max but one can still play effectively throwing about 200` or so. You just have to play smarter. 200`+ 200` is easier and more accurate than 300`+ 100`.

As for playing alone, enjoy the fact that you can throw doubles or triples and no one will care. Use the alone time to work out "what if" shots. It'll open up some cool possibilities. And don't be afraid about playing pick up games. Most DGrs are pretty cool about that. Mostly, just have fun with it.

For me, I've never given it up. I always want to keep throwing. Get better. My ability to do that has been severely crippled by the loss of my driver's license, but I still get out now and then. I've only played 4 rounds in the last 4 months, but that's not because I don't want to.

Whenever I'm in a slump, I try to remind myself of why I took up the game in the first place. Exercise.

Best advice is to change things up from your routine. Try a different course. Play with only 1, 2 or 3 discs. Play safari or speed golf.

Whenever I'm in a slump, I try to remind myself of why I took up the game in the first place. Exercise.

Best advice is to change things up from your routine. Try a different course. Play with only 1, 2 or 3 discs. Play safari or speed golf.

Safari golf? What's that?

:popcorn:

As for the OP... I can't relate. I've never wanted to stop (had to due to injury for 8 years). I really like playing alone. I play 4-6 rounds a week, only 2 are with a group. I work on new techniques when I'm alone. I use only "proven" shots when I play in a group.

I played two rounds alone this morning.

Get yourself an iPod and learn to embrace the solo rounds. That's actually one reason I like the sport; playing with others is fun, but I also like the individual challenge of me against the course.

Also, keep on the lookout for volunteer opportunities (course workdays, league/tournament help, clinics, etc.) and do those as much as you can. Disc golf offers a lot of depth behind the scenes and it is well worth the effort to get involved. Remember there is more to the sport than just playing.

Latest posts