• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Course Rating ABUSE!

I do agree that too many courses receive 5 Discs but I think most people on here lose perspective of the rating system. You rate it what you think it is, not what everybody else thinks it should be. A rec level player could absolutely love a course that I hate but it does not mean there review is less valid than mine. Also far too many people use the thumbs down when they disagree with the rating instead of evaluating the review.

I go by this...If theres some useful info in there...perhaps even one nugget of accurate info I thumb it up...if theres anything I really disagree with I will thumb it down...I try not to look at ratings unless they are way high or way low. I typically only thumb courses Im familiar with.

And as for the courses listed....Phantom, Deer Lakes and a couple others do have high ratings across the board....5s really are not out of line IMO.

I still think 25% of the thumbs need to be up for the review to count into the rating.

If you rate a course considerably higher or lower than it's current rating and give good support for why you think that, you might get a few thumbs down. But you should also get some thumbs up so it shouldn't be a problem to stay above 25% as long as you support your rating.

I don't think your rating should count if you rate a course to one extreme or the other and write next to nothing about the course to supporting your rating. But that's just my opinion and I might be a jerk :D

Fargin' Iceholes, get a clue!!!!!

Something that really bugs me is seeing a 5 disc review, then reading it and it has like 2-3 cons in it. Get a clue, if it ain't perfect, it ain't a 5. So, if ya added cons to the course, rate it according to those cons.....

A few of my friends (*cough*Apoth*cough*OCDG)on this site are doin' just what I described and I give them crap on the course constantly. There are a ton of other reviewers doin the same. It makes your reviews less credible and a joke. The good, credible reviewers (Orolin, Prerube, etc) reviews are non-biased, intelligent and open-minded.

To be fair, I'm the exact opposite. If I reveiw a course I frequent a lot, I'm very critical and usually rate it lower than courses I just have visited. So, I have my issues as well

I know I'm new here, and I haven't done any course ratings yet, but this is my opinion.

Ratings are subjective to the person doing the rating, and the course ratings are averages of all those subjective ratings. It seems to me that you have no authority in telling someone else what they think is a five star rated course.

I know I'm new here, and I haven't done any course ratings yet, but this is my opinion.

Ratings are subjective to the person doing the rating, and the course ratings are averages of all those subjective ratings. It seems to me that you have no authority in telling someone else what they think is a five star rated course.

welcome, since you are new here: you don't get it yet. not trying to irratate you but stick around awhile and you'll see what the guys mean

I agreee....just make sure your review backs up your rating....thats how the site is supposed to work.....basically this site ranks courses by what the avg golfer thinks......destination trips for hardcore DGers will always get higher raings as avg golfers will not be able to rate them down for being too hard etc....few accessible courses retain their high avg

I still think 25% of the thumbs need to be up for the review to count into the rating.

If you rate a course considerably higher or lower than it's current rating and give good support for why you think that, you might get a few thumbs down. But you should also get some thumbs up so it shouldn't be a problem to stay above 25% as long as you support your rating.

I don't think your rating should count if you rate a course to one extreme or the other and write next to nothing about the course to supporting your rating. But that's just my opinion and I might be a jerk :D

If it is super low or high then you should be able to recall what made the experience this certain rating. You might have a couple of locals give you a down, but most of us are fair and some will give you a thumbs up for going against the grain.

5 is lonely.

IDK, I have to agree that for a course to earn a 5, it has to be perfect in every aspect. Even really quality courses I have reviewed havn't gotten more than a four in my book. I guess it's a matter of opinion though. It just seems like there are too many courses with 5's.

I have seen essentially this sentiment several times on here, and haven't chipped in my $0.02 ... until now ;) I entirely disagree with this statement. Not because "5" rated courses shouldn't be amazing, or the very upper tier of courses, but because they shouldn't be "perfect" or "almost impossible to create" or something similar.

I agree that the absolute top end of "5" should be "perfect" or "almost impossible to create", but part of the problem of having a rating system of 1-5 is that each of these numbers encompasses a range of courses. There should be courses that are a "bad 5" as well as a "good 5". Having all of the courses in the world, save 2 or 3, fit into 1-4, and then having 5 reserved for just a couple is silly, even if you view the scale as more of a "bell curve" than straight line.

As I say, just my $0.02, and I haven't rated anything 5, though my rating of Flip/Leviathan/Beauty/Beast is still pending ;)

BLM

I have seen essentially this sentiment several times on here, and haven't chipped in my $0.02 ... until now ;) I entirely disagree with this statement. Not because "5" rated courses shouldn't be amazing, or the very upper tier of courses, but because they shouldn't be "perfect" or "almost impossible to create" or something similar.

I agree that the absolute top end of "5" should be "perfect" or "almost impossible to create", but part of the problem of having a rating system of 1-5 is that each of these numbers encompasses a range of courses. There should be courses that are a "bad 5" as well as a "good 5". Having all of the courses in the world, save 2 or 3, fit into 1-4, and then having 5 reserved for just a couple is silly, even if you view the scale as more of a "bell curve" than straight line.

As I say, just my $0.02, and I haven't rated anything 5, though my rating of Flip/Leviathan/Beauty/Beast is still pending ;)

BLM

I was thinking about this recently when I reviewed the Highbridge courses. I rated three of them 5's and feel comfortable doing so because I have nearly 100 other courses to compare them to. I honestly though Gold and Granite were more challenging and possibly better than Blueberry. But when it comes down to it, they're all still 5's and the best of the best.

I wonder what all these courses would be rated if we used a 0-100 rating system?

Latest posts