• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High School Disc Golf Teams

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
Right now, the Dayton Ohio area is a hotbed for disc golf. Add to that the fact that I've always wanted to coach high school athletics. So I'm thinking, why not try to get some high schools in my area involved and possibly put together teams of students in a league competing against other schools? My problem is that I wouldn't even know how to begin this process. Should I approach AD's with my idea? For those of you in areas where this already exixts, how did it come to fruition? And were there any setbacks along the road?

I envision a time when this idea might be a reality, but as long as we still live in a world where we have to explain our sport to the laymen, this is an idea that is somewhere down the line. Most youth whom I see who are "coached" to play disc golf usually done so by a parent who plays.

That being said, I think something akin to an intramural athletic program would be more feasible in the meantime.

In Pittsburgh we have something called the Scholastic Series. It is a series of 5 or 6 tournaments that juniors compete in individually and for their schools. The setup is a disc golf seminar and then one event at each of the 18 hole courses in the area coinciding with our weekly league finale, a pdga event and local mini's. The schools do not send organized teams but we tend to get a pretty good turn out. At the series finale individual awards and a sweet team trophy are given out. The whole series is ran by a guy on here named discteacher.

I worked with the PE teachers at 2 of my county elementary/middle schools. They were very receptive to the idea. It helps to have equipment you can share with them as many schools have really tight budgets. Its not a high school team, but it was a place to start.

We now have 3 high schools in the Asheville area that have courses and will be developing a league for them next year. The school's have formed after-school clubs that will then become their teams. We should start our league next school year.

We will probably copy our intercollegiate format for the high-school league. Basically, every player that completes a league round earns 1 point for their team (and since we're trying to promote girls in the sport, girls are worth 2 points). Extra points are also earned for teams by players who place in the top 5. Total points at the end of the series wins.

Of course, it's helpful that the school's have courses.

DSCJNKY

There's a course down the street from my son's high school. This spring he has been going there after school with a group of 20 or so students and playing Disc Golf and Ultimate. Last year those kids were only playing ultimate...now they're playing Disc Golf too.

There are several high schools in SC that have Disc Golf clubs.

I coach a high school lacrosse team in New Orleans and I know a few kids have expressed interest in starting a club team, the only thing I really can't figure out is what they're gonna do mean who they're gonna play or what will make them more than just a group of kids playing disc golfs, pretty much why does the school need to be involved. I think if the schools had courses this could make for a very interesting set-up but there's no space for that in a city.

Re: school teams

lxdawg,
I am trying to get an official club started in my high school. I like the idea of having a club, because the school then recognizes disc golf, and paves the way for a possible team in the future. Of course I love DG myself, and I've noticed that it's a great draw for more of the non-traditional athletes of the student body. Also, with the economy being what it is, I can't think of a cheaper sport for the school to support. I had a Dad of one of the students donate a plastic tub full of 80+ discs...this was monumental in getting kids out there to throw! Geaux for it...might just be awesome for you & the students interested!

Yours in Who Dat-ness,

If you have a graduating senior of 2012..........get involved! The National Players Challenge is giving away a college scholarship to a graduating senior of 2012!

Requirements: Must be a NPC member, Must have a 3.0 GPA, and Must have two references.

This is free money for college.......want to learn more? Go to www.npctour.com or email the National Players Challenge at [email protected]

I'd guess that high school interscholastic competition will be easiest on the club level, and not an official school sport. Either as clubs forming and challenging clubs from other schools, or as outside parties such as parks departments or local disc golf clubs organizing events, with competition among player from different high schools.

I think it's a great idea, but can't get around the fact that most schools do not have a course on school grounds or nearby in my area. I think the hardest part would be getting the kids to the course. My 7 year old is just now starting to enjoy it a bit more, and we were even able to work it into his homework. (use the word "golf" in a sentance. "My dad and I enjoy disc golf.") I don't think the disc cost would be that much considering a starter 3 pack can be had for about $20, and I'm sure you could get Innova or Disccraft to donate a couple packs.

Last edited:
I teach in a high school and I think that getting kids playing disc golf would be great. I think several people have pointed out the logistical problems involved, which would make it difficult.

The more I think about it, though, there are bigger problems than just logistical ones. At first look, disc golf looks like a great idea for high school, but at the schools I've worked at, I just don't see it happening. Physical education should be about getting kids interested in activities that promote healthy lifestyles, but my experience with PE departments and Athletic Directors does not show this to necessarily be true. In most schools, football still rules, and all the rest is done just to appease some vocal parents. Even in my school where the football team sucks (one win in the last four years), they still get more support than any other sport. Yes, other sports like hockey, soccer and lacrosse are gaining ground, but those are still big-time local sports with lots of "boosters" and other supporters in the community. Parents and community members love to see their children play so they can re-live their own glory days.

I don't see disc golf taking off around here any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

i think that they should make it a IHSA (Illinois High School Association) sport.. because they have made fishing a sport.. disc golf is just as much of a sport as that..

They have been doing this in the Santa Cruz area for a couple years. 4-5 different High School's have teams and they have at least two tournaments a year. I believe they play De La and the course at Aptos High School. My alma mater CSU Monterey Bay has also been hosting The West Coast College Open for years. It was the first and is the longest running Collegiate Disc Golf tournament.

that would be so awesome! maybe a rec league at first and try to speak with the superintendent

Latest posts