• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High to low pull. (like Ricky Wysocki)

bfowler

Double Eagle Member
I was watching some coverage the other day and noticed that when Ricky Wysocki drives off the tee he does not reach back on a level line. He pulls back straight but at the backend he swoops the disc up and back down to the level pull line. Like this "|___" (image the bottom left corner to be curved) instead of this "____" (This is a profile of the pull line)

I tried this and it worked exceptionally well for me. The reason I think it worked for me is two fold. First, I have a problem with wanting to start my pull to early before my plant foot/leg is braced. I constantly have to make myself wait.

When I tried the pull like Ricky that extra second it takes to dip the disc up and back down allows me to pull in one smooth motion and not have to delay my arm swing forward.

The other thing it does is make my pull line about 4-6 inchs lower. Instead of pulling high across my chest (like Avery) I'm pulling a lot lower, just below my nips.

After only 15 minutes of messing around with it I was hitting the same distance as my previous technique but this was easier to get the timing right. Curious to see where this goes.

Really interesting - thx for sharing. I will be trying this as well and report back in a few days (if I don't forget about it in the meantime...).

Some good footage of Wysocki provided by Central Coast Disc Golf :

looks like a more powerful dave feldberg like scoop. or sweedish lever style or whatever its called

he isn't really pulling high to low. Notice the pull starts at his mid stomache and goes forward from there. also seeing his arm follow through tells you its not a downward pull.

he isn't really pulling high to low. Notice the pull starts at his mid stomache and goes forward from there. also seeing his arm follow through tells you its not a downward pull.

Well, he definitely start on a higher plane (at 58 sec. for example.) Whether the pull starts or not when he drops the disc at his stomach is debatable I guess.

Yeah, it's not really a high to low pull but I didn't know how else to describe it in the thread title.

It's definitely different and higher at the end of his reach back than say McBeth. He doesn't pull on one line parallel to the ground throughout his entire reach back to release the way McBeth does.

The more I talk to pros, watch pros, and practice myself the more I see dozens of small differences in technique. High pull, low pull, power grip, fork grip, thumb flat, thumb bent, tight wrist, loose wrist, keep eyes on target, don't keep eyes on target. The deeper down the rabbit hole you go the more complex it gets.

You cant pull through high to low. Where you start, how you run up etc can be different like avery vs Jussi or "American vs Swedish" but pulling through high to low is roller technique or downhill. Your pull should be fairly even with the slope in which you are throwing or want the line to travel.

How could he throw a huge 400' spike hyzer like he does pulling high to low? impossible.

^^ right on. yeah he starts it high with elbow bent upwards. then swoops down to pull through

The more I talk to pros, watch pros, and practice myself the more I see dozens of small differences in technique. High pull, low pull, power grip, fork grip, thumb flat, thumb bent, tight wrist, loose wrist, keep eyes on target, don't keep eyes on target. The deeper down the rabbit hole you go the more complex it gets.

:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

The only difference really between Avery and Ricky is that Avery stays in a more upright posture.

I also think people need to forget about the subtle differences in reach back. Some of the guys have developed weird "glitches" in their throw. Some pull back in an anhyzer, some swoop low and pull through. Look at their position from the right pec on and you see that most of the pro golfers finish in the same way / plane. When it boils down to it, the last 20% of throw contains 80% of the power and constancy. Up until that point you are bound to see a lot of variations, even amongst the best players in the world.

It's more of a scoop, he starts high just on the pull back, but he still pulls through on an even plane. I wouldn't practice this because it might cause you to develop some bad habits or have some wicked off axis torqued throws. I think it is kind of a glitch that Ricky developed from throwing so much, I doubt it is something he purposely does. I dunno, that's my take on it. I will say that his sidearm is a thing of beauty, one of the best in the game imo.

Latest posts