• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highest course in the US?

harr0140

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I am wondering, where is the highest course in the US? Is it Colorado Mountain College in Leadville? I believe they have one of the highest golf courses in the country so i figured it was a natural spot to begin. Someones review says 10,200 feet of elevation.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1138

It may be Brian Head Disc Golf Course in Utah. It is the highest Ski Resort in Utah (base altitude), so it stands to be the highest disc golf course in Utah.

Tee one starts at 10,920 feet and you play down to the base elevation of 9,600 feet. Super Awesome Mountain Golf! The Brian Head DG Course will open June 23 for the 2012 season.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=350

Here are two other courses regarding elevation that could be tougher to find:
1. Which (likely ski hill) course has the biggest elevation difference from the first tee to the last basket?
2. Which course, where the first tee and last basket are at the same elevation (usually lower), ascends (or descends) the most elevation somewhere in the middle of the course before returning to the starting point.

I remember the PW2003 temp course at Snowbowl outside Flagstaff having a 500 ft difference between the highest point on the course to the lowest at the first tee but that seems like more than people would be able to handle so it may have really been more like 300 ft net. It seems like 100-150 feet from highest to lowest point over a course is about the most the average player can tolerate and still enjoy the round.

Here are two other courses regarding elevation that could be tougher to find:
1. Which (likely ski hill) course has the biggest elevation difference from the first tee to the last basket?
2. Which course, where the first tee and last basket are at the same elevation (usually lower), ascends (or descends) the most elevation somewhere in the middle of the course before returning to the starting point.

I remember the PW2003 temp course at Snowbowl outside Flagstaff having a 500 ft difference between the highest point on the course to the lowest at the first tee but that seems like more than people would be able to handle so it may have really been more like 300 ft net. It seems like 100-150 feet from highest to lowest point over a course is about the most the average player can tolerate and still enjoy the round.

I know Hyland SSA is nowhere near what a mountain course would be but do you know what the vertical rise on that is. I saw you (I think) dueced #18 recently but I also heard someone aced it a month or so ago.

Total elevation differential is around 125 feet at Hyland SSA. That's similar to Granite Ridge at Highbridge which is around 115 net. Our new Kenwood Trails course on school grounds is deceptive with a 92 ft net. But no one hole has more than maybe 30 ft so you don't see it. I suspect Giants Ridge in Biwabik might have the biggest differential in Minnesota. Haven't been to Mont du Lac to know where that fits in for MN-WI.

Interesting questions. Another measure total elevation change; someone recently told me of playing a course with an app that tracked this, and came up with as astounding number. Some courses fold a lot more up-and-down into their differential between high and low than others do.

Camp Gaw, NJ was a good example of a little too much "folding" in its original routing which traversed the 125-150 ft vertical drop ski hill from top to bottom three times over 18 holes. After an early event where some players refused to make the last traverse from 15 thru 18, the designers with a little prodding realized they could simply renumber the hole sequence so the hill was traversed from top to bottom just twice. Players seem to enjoy this revised rugged course much better.

I'll bet they did.

I used to be content just knowing the elevation range (lowest to highest) on a course....now I'll be trying to figure out the total elevation change on a bunch of courses.

I think I'll start with Trophy Lakes.

Mountain High DGC, on Crystal Mountain, here in Washington state, plays 2456' vertical from 1-18.
Luckily you start at the top, after a pleasant gondola ride, and play down the mountain.

Epic golf, cant wait for them to open it this year. :)