• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOA Proposal

ElementZ

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Hi all,

My neighbor and I are pitching that the home owners association purchase a few baskets for a neighborhood park. There are extra funds available since the annual picnic didn't happen.
We have a HOA maintained park that is ideal for 3-4 baskets (hilly, mowed, away/protected from houses, etc.). It'd be the perfect training area and essentially just for disc golf as the basket locations wouldn't interfere at all with existing playgrounds or basketball courts.

Has anyone done anything like this before? It'd be great if you could upload your pitch/proposal so that we can just tweak it for our neighborhood. My neighbor is planning on visiting Glide, the local disc golf store, tomorrow for tips, but I was thinking that the DGCR community is also a great place to go for help.

I did a quick search for this topic but couldn't find anything. If a thread exists, please link me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The PDGA has demographic charts, a "what is disc golf" and several other items you could possibly use to create your own proposal. Google docs has a Project Proposal template you can use to get started.
Manufacturer websites have price points for baskets, should you want to provide varying price options.

Good luck!

Hi all,

My neighbor and I are pitching that the home owners association purchase a few baskets for a neighborhood park. There are extra funds available since the annual picnic didn't happen.
We have a HOA maintained park that is ideal for 3-4 baskets (hilly, mowed, away/protected from houses, etc.). It'd be the perfect training area and essentially just for disc golf as the basket locations wouldn't interfere at all with existing playgrounds or basketball courts.

Has anyone done anything like this before? It'd be great if you could upload your pitch/proposal so that we can just tweak it for our neighborhood. My neighbor is planning on visiting Glide, the local disc golf store, tomorrow for tips, but I was thinking that the DGCR community is also a great place to go for help.

I did a quick search for this topic but couldn't find anything. If a thread exists, please link me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

One thing you might want to do is get a google earth then make a map of the parts you want used for the disc golf practice course, then copy said map you made to give the HOA a copy and then have copies for you and friend. Only going off experiance for this first part.

Also know how much the 3-4 baskets will cost pre tax before sending in the idea and price on some pieces of paper.

If the HOA says no for several reasons, one they do not want people from out of area using them tell them you have a park people could let other children play on, you have a Basket ball court other kids and adults not from the HOA could play on, so on. If it is the course will send the wrong message show them some footage of a Tournament made by one of the top 3 companies.

Not sure if I can help, but from an "insider's perspective"...

I work for a production home builder and as far as I know, all of our communities are HOA regulated. I'm on the team that handles the planning of new community amenities (clubhouses, entrance signage, pools, playgrounds, etc.) We control the HOA until a percentage of the neighborhood is built out and then homeowners start joining the board, eventually taking over fully.

We just put a 3 or 4 basket "practice area" in one of our new communities last year and it's been a pretty big hit. The company likes it because it's a relatively inexpensive addition when compared to most other outdoor items and it requires little to no maintenance. The cost of all these amenities are spread out across all the lot purchase prices in the community so affordable options help keep those lot costs down as well.

I doubt the company will ever go the route of installing a whole course (9 or 18), but they seem to be pretty keen on adding more 3-4 basket spaces.

The DB-5 Baskets are crap and destroy discs. Good luck with project

I bought one for a backyard practice basket about 6 weeks ago. Definitely not crap as a practice basket, doesn't seem to destroy my practice putters. Catches well for me. I am super satisfied with it as a galvanized "no fuss needed" practice basket.

I'm not sure I would install them as permanent baskets without having someone who could weld the screw together pieces of the pole together to make them stay dead straight and prevent the basket from walking off.

Remember to add in the cost of the concrete to hold the basket poles in place. What will you use for tee pads?

Remember to add in the cost of the concrete to hold the basket poles in place. What will you use for tee pads?

I don't think the plan is to have tee pads. Looks like he wants to install baskets for practice putting and field work. It's just 3 or 4 baskets, not an entire course. I am the HOA treasurer for a community of nearly 200 homes. We have an annual budget of about $150,000. We could probably make room in our budget for 3 to 4 baskets and we'd be open to installing them if we had enough room to allow it.

I don't think the plan is to have tee pads. Looks like he wants to install baskets for practice putting and field work. It's just 3 or 4 baskets, not an entire course. I am the HOA treasurer for a community of nearly 200 homes. We have an annual budget of about $150,000. We could probably make room in our budget for 3 to 4 baskets and we'd be open to installing them if we had enough room to allow it.

I would suggest tee pads of some kind; they don't have to be expensive. Then, if there is a community center, players could donate discs (putters/mid-ranges) to be checked out. Have the 'how-to' posted somewhere and this would be a great way to grow the sport. Maybe even a once-a-month lesson time.

They don't need tee pads for a 3 or 4 hole practice area. I've played a bunch of these and grass is perfectly fine. Madison already has a few places like this I believe. It's not an actual course.

One of the playground equipment companies around here installs Discatchers for right around retail MSRP.

No bad considering wholesale price, shipping, concrete, labor, etc. It's a great option for a company/HOA that just wants them put in turn key and not have to handle any of it.

They don't need tee pads for a 3 or 4 hole practice area. I've played a bunch of these and grass is perfectly fine. Madison already has a few places like this I believe. It's not an actual course.

They do. So maybe that's an idea? Contact the HOAs by the existing practice areas and see what their feedback is? Suppose that could go either way, but positive feedback from other neighborhoods seems like a good thing to help your cause.

Yep there is a 9 hole course in Lake View park rather near some red brick apaprtment where I lived from 1990 to end of 2000 that is no longer using some as of the 6 Salient Liberty baskets that looked poor when in ground first in 2014 but is now using the Mach V, that should be a practice/beginner course due to how short the holes are with longest 2 holes being maybe at 240 feet, the tee pads are concrete but newer ones for 9 hole course done poorly that since getting put in as a full 9 hole course in 2017, the newer tee pads as soon as made in 2017 had cracks in the concrete letting in weeds/grass. The old course got baskets pulled, probably sold and the page on DGCR got changed in 2017 to the current course.

We used to as kids take pieces of the weeping willows that had fallen off the tree and used them to whip each other with them, man did that hurt, last time I was in the area there was 2 of the big willows left as 4 of them had died over the years, one of them was sick looking with short willow branches since I was little.

There is a group of guys who have put in a course through the HOA near me and have gone from 12-15 baskets as money allows and have pockets set for a full 18 with two pads on almost every hole.

They have done a good job showing the merit and and add to profit for the community. Their HOA sign up rate is up and they do a $50 DG membership for non residents that is popular. Heck, if I lived closer I would buy one. Course is pretty good.

I would suggest at least some tee lines. 4' landscaping timber rebared flush to the ground. 3 basket each with 3 tees could give you a little 9 hole course.

Is the intention for it to be open to the public or only for resident use? If the latter you can put in 4 baskets with simple tee markers for under $1500 and it will all work fine as long as you choose appropriate spots for the tees (or move them just a bit periodically). If open for public use you will likely want tee pads of some sort.

One option is to put in three baskets and three tee pads and call it a nine "hole" course - play to each basket from each tee.

Latest posts