• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 04/03/13: Pier Park in Portland, OR

Not sure who uploaded the info for that hole, but Pier Park only has one set of tees. It's 315' to the left position, and 274' to the right position (the arrow is on the right pin). The hole is also on about an 8' slope, so it does play a little uphill.

I throw a roc or a comet to either location.

The right location does have a "local" hyzer to the basket which a lot of people take, but you can also turn over a mid through the middle.

The left location is pretty much a dead straight 315' shot, plays about 330'. Most ppl throw a mid or a fairway driver depending on ability. There's a sneaker hyzer for lefty/RHFH between the second and third trees in the foto.

Another fun fact is that the hole was aced in a tournament a couple years ago with a $1200 ace pot. Pin was in the left position and the ace was thrown with a Champion Eagle.

Those of you that think this fairway is really tight keep in mind these are giant sequoia trees and they're huge. There is more room to work with than it looks like in the pictures (unless you're from the west coast and used to being around these things). Although you'll probably still hit one ;)

I'd throw a Roc for either tee.

Those of you that think this fairway is really tight keep in mind these are giant sequoia trees and they're huge. There is more room to work with than it looks like in the pictures (unless you're from the west coast and used to being around these things). Although you'll probably still hit one ;)

I'd throw a Roc for either tee.

The trees at Pier Park are mostly douglas-fir and western red cedar. Doug-Fir is a massive tree, but the sequoias in Northern Cali trump them pretty easily in girth and height.

The design of the course and spacing of the trees makes it challenging to get birdies on many of the holes, however saving par is much easier at Pier than in many eastern-type forests where there are a bazillion little "stick" trees.

Sorry, they all seemed giant to me, so I assumed they were the sequoias :) I love Pier Park. There are similar courses playing through mature pines up in Wisconsin, but they are not nearly as majestic. The pictures do make it seems like a super tight course to those that are not familiar with how large these trees are. The fairways are technical, but they're by no means tight. Lots of room to work with. Except holes 14 and 15 :)

Sorry, they all seemed giant to me, so I assumed they were the sequoias :) I love Pier Park. There are similar courses playing through mature pines up in Wisconsin, but they are not nearly as majestic. The pictures do make it seems like a super tight course to those that are not familiar with how large these trees are. The fairways are technical, but they're by no means tight. Lots of room to work with. Except holes 14 and 15 :)

Agreed on all accounts. Oh, and I've aced 15. :)

Thaaaat is impressive. What disc/line?

Sparkle Tsunami. I'm LHBH so I flexed it outside of the main corridor about 80' into the fairway. It healed perfectly and slammed back into the fairway at the last second and straight into the basket.

A lot of RHFHs throw the same out-side-in line. Little bit easier than throwing dead-straight 340' or whatever the distance is.

Comet a bit to the left of the pin, between the two closer trees and at the tree behind and between them, hoping it will turn enough to the left to not hit that middle tree. Then Blowfly to finish.

i usually throw an orc or teebird off the tee on this one, no reason to do anything different than that

Stratus from the green tees. Blizz Katana from the the Teal boxes.

RHBH patriot

Um, sure. RHFH Lace or Force. Maybe the Predator on the shorter ones. I am sure I am just throwing it up that gap and figuring things out when I get to where my disc is lying down.

Latest posts