• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 11/15/13: Pier Park in Portland, OR

I've played this course a few times, and would absolutely throw a roller on it if I were a RHBH thrower. The fairway is pretty clean, and the downhill through the trees makes rollers pick up speed nicely for the turn up the hill.

Just as a note, trying a huge hyzer around the right really doesn't work.

As a LHBH thrower, though, this hole isn't much fun. I usually throw a Destroyer flat and low, hoping for a little skip/slide uphill (it doesn't work) to end up still outside the circle. It's a fairly routine 3 for me. :p

I would be tempted to throw a roller just looking at the picture, but as high as those guys were throwing them it seems like the ceiling isn't that big of an issue. Not sure if I'd be able to roll a renegade up there simply because my distance isn't that good on the ground. If I went with an air shot it would just be a pPD.

I would have to see this one in person to know for sure but I might try a big hyzer to the right of the first tree and try to get lucky. If that is not an option I would probably throw a teebird.

It is an option, but it adds about 80 feet to the shot.

I usually throw a FH helix and just try and get down the fairway. Getting 2 on this hole is challenging, so I generally just try to get the 3 and moove on to the next hole.

YES! One I've played! I throw a beat roc roller for either position. Birdied this hole the last time I played in Portland this way.

The branches are low and the green slopes up dramatically at the end, there is very little chance of sneaking an air shot the length of the fairway in the short position, and no chance in the long. an air shot in the long position will leave you with a very difficult upshot/long putt.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I flicked a Firebird the last time I was here. I'd probably do the same with a Champ Gazelle or else backhand hyzer flip a Leopard. I've also seen people take the big hyzer route to the right, but I don't have the arm for that.

Probably a RHFH flex shot..let it work out to gain some altitude. Star Orc or AJ Destroyer.

My roller is definitely a weakness, but it seems like the most beneficial plan. Perhaps a sidewinder roller here would work out for me...

starfire blasted up the middle gap or RR roller seems aight

RHBH Volt to fade into the clearing on the left.

From there it looks like a clear shot to the pin.

Tap in 3.

This is what I do. Throw a champ TeeBird up the middle and let it fade out into the field to the left, then throw my approach straight at the basket since you have the hill as a backstopping short position. In long, I have never found a 3.

I have seen a few take the hyzer route to the right, then another hyzer approach shot from that field above. That line works best when it is in long.

I need to work on a consistent roller and try that.