• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 5/5/20: Clark's Run DGC Hole #15 Leesburg, VA

Bardu

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Long 700 ft.
Short 408 ft.

"Hole 15 is a big downhill hyzer through a gap and across a winding stream. Approach is uphill to a guarded basket on a wooded knoll. If you are a glutton for punishment the long tee offers a tight 300' tunnel shot, slightly downhill, to reach the short tee."

Long Tee
dc5a4551.jpg

Short Tee
23cac5b8.jpg

Approach
aa9516fd.jpg

Basket to Tee
cf302187.jpg

RHBH Roc to start and hope the scrambling isn't too tough from there.

RHBH Maverick down the tunnel. I'll figure it out from there.

Wooooo, one of my absolute favorite courses! This is a par 4 that you'd like to birdie, but it takes two accurate shots to do so. Tee shot is a big downhill hyzer bomb, followed by an ever-changing uphill adventure.

Pictures are a bit out of date, so let me try to describe the current situation:

Picture #1: This is the long tee, but I'm not sure whether this teepad is still there. The club is testing a new long pad position to the right of the tee in picture #2. The new long position is a tight, side-hill tunnel that gives you a straighter look at the pin, making it (at least theoretically) reachable by big-arm folks.

Picture #2: Teepad is now concrete, and the skinny tree on the right side of the gap at the bottom of the hill has been removed to make a cleaner fairway.

From the short tee (pic #2) I throw a steep hyzer. The goal is to land near the right end of the big downed tree on the left side of the picture (also seen in the basket-to-tee shot in pic #4). Star TL is the safe shot, Pro Wraith for more distance, or if I'm throwing really well I'll try a flattening hyzer with a Neutron Wave, a riskier shot that can get way up the fairway if I hit it just right.

If you hit an early tree you are scrambling, although I have saved par after hitting first available tree. The fairway crosses a winding stream, but going OB in the water rarely comes into play off the tee.

From the downed log there are two paths to the basket. Usually I throw a left-to-right shot, either FH or BH turnover with a mid or driver, depending on distance and angle. If your second shot fades or kicks left you may go down the steep hill and OB into the creek.

Depending where you land there may be a backdoor RHBH hyzer line that is a bit safer to get up on the green.

The green has some slope, so if your putt hits the cage you can roll all the way down the hill. Just to make the hole a little more interesting. :D

Unconventional

From the short tee, there is a tomahawk line, which gets you to a fallen tree that crosses the fairway. From there it is a straight forward anny line to the basket. More recently, from the short tee, they took out a tree on the right, which gives you a righthand hyzer line to that same landing spot.

GStar Sidewinder from the long
MJ Comet from the short

The general green area for this hole was a major factor in the shaping of this area of the course. I love the 3 different options for approaching. I try to play the straighter drive to the hyzer approach most of the time which means beat F2 with a bit of hyzer off the tee.

Based on reviews and comments, I'm sure this is a fun one. From long, I'll probably throw a Z Undertaker and then scramble away. From short, I like the Comet idea.

Latest posts