• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 9/20/2013 Carey Park #8 Hutchinson, KS

Amp or Northman. Whichever is working better for me today.

LHBH Champ Teebird through the path on the left. Or turn over a P-PD along the path on the right.

LOCAL PERSPECTIVE:

Interesting to see the comments made so far. Birdie on this hole is a rarity. Very frustrating hole with the deceiving ceiling on the left. Seen it happen far too many times: looking like a great drive and gets knocked down by one of the snares of those hanging branches (usually the result of a "Nice shot!" from other members of the group).

My 2012 scorebook stats are showing that out of all the recorded rounds in 2012 on this course (70 rounds), on Hole 8 I made only 4 birdies, 41 pars, and 18 bogeys with a scoring average of 3.22 strokes.

I used to take the route to the right of the dividing treeline with a screaming hyzer but now I'm more prone to throwing a light, turning disc (Valkyrie, Escape, Beast) down the left tunnel and hope that it makes it beyond the evergreens guarding the basket. Even then, I'm usually left with a 35-50 ft putt for birdie.

Also typically a gusty wind from the south (during the summer time) that presents a crosswind from left to right or coming down in a left-to-right diagonal headwind.

Salt City Perspective

I'm with jcarroll on this one! As another local player, this is one of the most frustrating holes on the course! I typically throw DD2 or Crank on a Flick route, and feel glad if I get it around the two pine trees that protect the basket. With a south wind howling at 20 mph, the unpredictability is high.

Bogey is a more likely score, I promise you, than is birdie. And - rollers are mostly out, unless you've figured out a way to roll on sandy terrain.

Not the toughest hole out there, but probably the 2nd or 3rd!

Hmmm... sidewinder roller?

I've tried this on here a few times. I've also gone Sidewinder through the air.

One thing I want to point out about this hole. The parks department for the past three years has let the rough sections of the course grow wild. Up until this year, persistent drought has prevented it from growing in. Then this summer we finally got some rain, and it is considerably woolier now than when this picture was taken. Those unmowed sections course are notorious for being full of these wonderful things. If you go RHBH down the right tunnel, you'd better make sure you throw something OS and get back to the left tunnel's path, or you're going to be spending some time at Hole 9's tee cleaning your socks, shoestrings, and anything on you that can catch those things.

i'm sure i could at least hit one of those pine trees w/a fh max weight star xcaliber

It'd be a coinflip between RHBH S-FD on a turnover, or a RHFH S-PD. Zone to approach. Judge to tap in for a sensible 3.

Beat TB, probably hit a tree, approach with a Zone or Judge as needed, drop in putt for the 3

Latest posts