• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Holding your breath while throwing?

Malawi

Par Member
Recently find a new yt channel where this guy talks about its important to hold your breath while throwing to tightening up your core which locking everything together, otherwise you loose the tension from the reachback.

So fill stomach with air then hold breath in the pull through.

Any thoughts? Havent been able to go out and try it yet.

Nobody competing in any physical activity (other than maybe swimming) should be holding their breath.

I'd take that advice with the same grain of salt as any other advice you get from someone on the internet.

I would poop myself.

I often need to actually expel air during the strenuous portion of the throw. This is in the form of a grunt or groan. This air IS going to come out. Either by way of vocalization or WORSE.

Maybe it is an old man thang??

Me too, it takes everything I can do to keep myself from having my second poop during a morning round on the course. I also grunt, and that's when I know I just threw with a good follow thru and likely will see a good flight of the disc.

I would highly recommend trying it out. Why? Because in the weight lifting world, a rigid, air inflated core is crucial for transferring power generated from the ground, up to wherever the bar is.

Very similar concept is at play with our throw. We don't want power leaking from the ground forces through our core on the way to our arm. A noodley core doesn't translate that power efficiently.

You shouldn't need to have your breath held for more than 1 second. Right as you're at peak reach back and about to initiate your throw, hold, then breath out as soon as the hit happens with your follow through.

Last edited:
While a lot of strength training movements do require the lifter to brace their core to protect their spine I'd be a little careful applying the concept directly to disc golf as those strength movements generally occur only in the vertical plane and are not as dynamic as a disc golf throw which involves a lot of rotational force.
There are a lot of other sports with more similar movement patterns to a disc golf throw that I'd emulate before I'd try to incorporate core bracing.
While I wouldn't advocate grunting on the tee pad, the way tennis players are known to do, it does increase the velocity at which they can hit the ball. I believe a short sharp exhale is all that's necessary to pull it off and create a tight contraction in your core and doesn't require you to interrupt your breathing either.

I inhale in backswing and exhale during forward swing. The core coils and uncoils in disc golf/athletic motion, we don't brace the core like weightlifters.

I'm no weightlifter but in school we could always press more if we would take a long controlled exhale during the lift. It was not natural to do this, and I'm not surprised that we may have been doing it wrong, but my experience was that you could get a better result with a controlled breath than going red in the face and holding your breath.