• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hole Measure Points?

DaddyD

We have an old course near us (built in the 70s) that is in severe disrepair. The signs are either faded completely white or are inaccurate since some hole locations have been moved over the years.

A group of us are trying to do what we can to get the course back in shape and we're starting with replacing all the signs.

My question is -- What two points do we measure to get the official distance for a hole? I would guess that point A is the foremost front edge of the tee pad, but would point B be the closest edge of the catch basket or would it be the center pole?

Holes should be measured to the nearest five feet so it doesn't matter whether it's the pole or basket edge. Players have a full tee pad or up to 3 meters to release their drive behind the tee line so measuring any more accurately than 5 feet isn't necessary nor useful.

Holes should be measured to the nearest five feet so it doesn't matter whether it's the pole or basket edge. Players have a full tee pad or up to 3 meters to release their drive behind the tee line so measuring any more accurately than 5 feet isn't necessary nor useful.

How would you measure point B for determining the 10M putting circle?

The 10M measurement is from the pipe. Technically, that makes the diameter of the circle 20M plus the diameter of the pipe but that's considered acceptable.

I thought I was just me thinking this when I measured the new holes at Veterans and Shillito. It always bugged me when I saw hole measurements like 222 or 456. Really, whats the point. BTW the holes I didn't redesign I left the original distances on for the new tee signage as a nod to the original designers.

We are talking about straight holes, right? How is a hole measured with a severe dogleg right or left where you must throw down the fairway. Does it measure from the teebox down the fairway and then turn right or left towards the basket or is it from the teepad directly to the basket straight at it? Any specifics on this? Just curious.

measure the approximate flight path that the disc has to take to get there. measuring straight line distance on holes like that is pointless.

Hudson Mills has all 48 holes measured to the nearest 5ft EXCEPT the "monster hole" long tee at 1038. Guess they didn't want to just call it 1040.

So as an homage of sort our club made the longest hole at Indy Lake (#5) say 626 ft. from the longs. Yes dorky, noted.

measure the approximate flight path that the disc has to take to get there. measuring straight line distance on holes like that is pointless.

This is something that was debated a lot when we designed and then redesigned Chattooga Belle Farm. About half the people there when we measured wanted direct line and the other half said it should be measured in the flight path the disc would most likely take.

I think we made a separate determination on each hole depending on the design of each hole.

I kinda' like the non-rounded numbers, myself. Gives the holes a little more personality, like naming them. Even knowing that the measurements aren't that precise.

Except that at Stoney Hll we measured #5 at 499', and put 500' on the sign. It's a tough hole, and "499" just didn't seem to express that as well as "500".

I like non-rounded numbers as well. If the hole is exactly 237' from the front of the pad, most people can do the math and see it's 247' if they're throwing from the back of the tee (say, to avoid a tree).

I like the non-rounded too. While it makes no real difference it communicates that they cared enough to get it right (or at least gives that illusion).

But sign distance to me is kinda like sign par is to other people.....no matter what the posted distance, you still gotta make the throws and you really never know exactly how it was measured so you gotta trust your eyes and just throw.

For some reason my home course's (plamann in appleton) measurements are a lot of the time really close to being the next 100 foot, but a couple feet short. We have a 299, 397, 299, 199, 199, 199, 299, 296, 196, 298, 298, 396, and a 299 over the 27 holes there (actually 2 courses). Anybody know if this was intentional or not?

We are talking about straight holes, right? How is a hole measured with a severe dogleg right or left where you must throw down the fairway. Does it measure from the teebox down the fairway and then turn right or left towards the basket or is it from the teepad directly to the basket straight at it? Any specifics on this? Just curious.

Most people throw a disc in an arc or curve and then measure the distance thrown in a straight line, so I believe that straight line distance is often ok to use if the hole is designed to be reached from the tee. We have a hole at a course near me that is measured at 400' and has a hyzer or anhyzer line to the basket. I believe that was measured down the fairways because I know it doesn't take a 400' throw to make it to the basket. I have thrown a teebird 60' past the basket thinking that it took a 400' throw to get there (I throw teebirds 380-400).

I guess that there could be some times when that wouldn't be desirable, but I think a majority of the time it is. Of course, I am a player and don't get into design, so I am just stating my opinion from a player's standpoint.

Some random bits:
The tee signs at the Cumberland Green course Fishy just added are measured like this: 237.5' , 226.2', etc. Way to precise.
I actually measured out Pueblo City Park to a point centered between all the placements for each hole, because each hole has 3 placements with some having up to 6.
I like to measure from the front of the tee to the pole.

Hole measurements should mimic those used in ball golf, when applicable.

If a hole is designed with an obvious fairway, then the measurement should be taken down the middle of the fairway.
If the hole involves a curve, or a dogleg, measurements should be taken in a straight line to the centerpoint of the apex of the turn, then another straight line should be plotted to the basket.
If the turn is drastic, multiple points maybe reqiured to form straight lines for measurement.
This will provide an average distance for the hole, lines thrown may add or subtract from this number, but it will provide the best reference.

If there is no obvious fairway, such as a throw off the top of a hill, with only a small landing zone cleared out of the woods below, for the basket, then a straight line measurement is the best reference to use.