• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hole of the day 4-30-2010

RHINESEL

Double Eagle Member
Sundance Trail Ranch DGC

Hole 15 290 ft par 3.

From the course map looks to be a dogleg left after the wall of trees. Basket appears to be pretty open.

e8d75fb8.jpg

I'm going with an FLX Predator RHBH.

Having just played this hole twice in a tournament this past weekend I feel safe in being able to tell you all the options. The tee is protected from the wind so you will have to deal with changing wind conditions throughout the flight of the disc. There is the traditional route through the trees on the right and then opening up towards the basket which is pretty far to the left. You will want to throw something pretty overstable to get it there if you can hit the gap just right as you can throw it too far and run into more tree problems. I however decided to ignore the wind that comes in above the trees and took my Flick and threw a Tomahawk over the trees going right at the basket. Depending on how the wind is blowing you may want to throw the thumber.

I was just gonna say I would definitely tomahawk this hole. I usually throw about 1 overhand drive/round on holes where it's the best option (like this one). Why deal with splitting the trees when you could just throw it over?

I agree with your thinking shoe. The gap on this hole is pretty big minus that one tree right in the middle of the gap splitting it into two smaller gaps. One guy on my card this past weekend hit that tree in the center and had to settle for a bogy. Also on the hole, even if you do hit the gap there are still some smaller trees between you and the basket, but if you can clear the trees with a tomahawk you are pretty much sitting out in the clear to get to the basket.

I would agree that this is a good overhead hole. But my overheads are crap, so my likely shot would be either a Whippet, Predator, or Avenger, depending on actual conditions and shape of the fairway.

I would go with my Champ Boss. I've yet to feel comfortable with that disc, but right now I throw it with a Hyzer that looks like it would be perfect for this hole.

I am a Left-hander with overhands that suck, I couldn't overhand this hole.
My best plan is to try to shoot the gap with a straight disc (Mako, Comet or ESP Stratus) and then weigh my options. My second shot would either be an overhand over the trees or try to layup if I see the basket.
I'd play this hole as an automatic par or bogey and not try to go for the deuce.

For me it would go like this:

Option 1: thumber

Option 2: sky hyzer

Option 3: FH roller (depending on ground/grass)

Since my RH tomahawk goes about 200' ft this is tough to figure. And throwing LHBH would be pretty hard to get threw those trees and still carry to the left.

Option #1- RH Tomahawk over the trees and easy approach LHBH, for par

Option #2- LHBH Air Anhyzer over the trees (probably with the good ol Stingray) and let it carry to the hole, since it is close, I'll bird it

Since I played this hole about a minute after taking this photo (sorry, little self-affirmation to get me through he day) here's how my buddy and I played it.

I tried shooting the gap on the right side and caught the tree sending it right. Bad thing - lots of thick stuff, and ended up taking a 4 with a 2 putt. I threw a Tomahawk shot for fun with an EPIC (yes, an EPIC and love it since it turned over faster in the wind in the high Rockies) and landed it about 20 feet from the pin. I guess I'll know better next time.

My buddy hit the gap and but he threw a fairly stable disc and it didn't turn over in the wind and he ended up about 50 right of the pin.

The elevation of this course is around 7000' feet and is pretty open off the hills, so wind is always a factor. I would obviously throw a tomahawk again, but if I went for the gap again I would throw my overstable max.

I'd go for the overhand shot...but I normally don't throw them too high. I honestly might be tempted to shoot the gap with a rhbh with my whippet or x-clone, take a chance and be content with a bogey:)

Since I don't have a tomahawk i'd throw my Z stalker straight through the gap and play the fade back to the basket, BIRD, Count it!!

I actually went out to see how far I could Tomahawk my Flick, just because of this thread. ...about 150ft. LOL Guess I should work on that! ...Of course there was a strong headwind.

Latest posts