• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hole of the day 5/3/2010

Hey, something to think about here. If I'm seeing the picture correctly, the basket is a bit behind thorse trees. If you land on the front side, you may wind up with those trees in the way of your putt...

Better strategy may be to throw a hyzer or skip shot to get behind the trees for an open putt.

This is true! My Beast is beat in enough to the point where I can do what I call an "Out & Up" (Much like the football play) If I put just enough Anny on it, it will start with a gradual turn, working it's way towards 90 degrees. Then, if I do it right, it will get stable and then fade back a little over 90 degrees the other way. Which theoretically, would put it on the right of the trees.

Provided it worked, and didn't stay stable putting it further away! lol

I have a weaker arm than some others, so...
ESP Crush aimed a little to the left (I'm a leftie) should hit the dirt in the vicinity of the basket. Probably a little long, but it seems open to the rear.
Disc selection may vary, depending on wind strength and direction.

Where are these holes of the day coming from? Just random?

Check out this hole. One word. Wow.

Its coming from DGCR's "Todays Course Photo" which is on the homepage. Great idea by the way to start making a post in the Technique section about them.

I cant tell distance at all from pics so not sure what I would throw.

250-300'- Buzzz straight at it

300-350' Teebird straight

350+ Destroyer Flex shot

Surge SS straight in. It should be airborne when it gets there and ring the chains.

Hey, something to think about here. If I'm seeing the picture correctly, the basket is a bit behind thorse trees. If you land on the front side, you may wind up with those trees in the way of your putt...

Better strategy may be to throw a hyzer or skip shot to get behind the trees for an open putt.

Looks to me like it is open in the back and the front. Would rather just park right in front of it then try to get to the back and chance being parallel to the left or right.

Actually might go a little shorter than my Leopard looking at it now since my Leo could get around it. Id go Core and even a 25' putt with some hyzer if I have to rather then get pegged right against the opposite side of the trees from the basket. I hate that.

Looks to me like it is open in the back and the front. Would rather just park right in front of it then try to get to the back and chance being parallel to the left or right.

Actually might go a little shorter than my Leopard looking at it now since my Leo could get around it. Id go Core and even a 25' putt with some hyzer if I have to rather then get pegged right against the opposite side of the trees from the basket. I hate that.

True, I actually thought about throwing a Voodoo right at it, knowing it would sit down a bit short (250ish). Or maybe a DX Roc, a bit to the right, or a Whippet skip shot and get in close, straddle putt around the tree if I had to.

Problem is if you turn over your drive, pull it, or fade it left too much, you could have the trees in line with your putt, especially if it's a longer putt where you can't straddle around it. I've had things like that happen.

It is a bit hard to tell if even with the basket is a clear path. I assumed it was and that the trees are a bit forward. I figure the trees give you about a 1/4 of the circle in front, they cut off any diagonal lanes, and give you over 1/2 of the the circle behind. I thought anything long was the safest and want to go way out around it to avoid hitting the trees themselves. It's 270 I'd pretend it was about 285.

I just played a hole last Thursday, 280ish, tucked basket on a flat about 8ft higher than the tee, island of trees and brush in front, don't want to be short (in a recent tourney this was OB), very wide open on the back. I usually throw a DX Gazelle sweeping hyzer at it and darn near park it. But I've also left it a hair short, and that can limit the success of birdie. So this last time, I threw some Avengers and a Predator at it, got the hyzer/big fade, but was finishing up pin high or long. Always a clean shot at the basket. It was the fact that there was OB for the tourney (which I didn't play) that made me look at options that wouldn't leave me short and in trouble.

It may not be a big deal on this hole, chances are you'll have a putt from the front (80%? 90%?), but lately, I've found myself looking at every drive for the shot with the highest probability of success for the shot I'm making and the next shot I'll have to make.

I was going to say my Rhyno but I would probably throw my Viking. After that I would throw the Rhyno just to see and it would get there also. Then I would think I was stupid for doubting that I could get a putter that far.

Why would you guys take a hyzer route and bring the tree near the teepad into play. That is like the only tree you need to avoid, just go right at it or throw a gentle anhyzer.

It depends on the wind and the situation, but if I'm going for my most consistant shot I'd throw a hyzer with a Spirit. If I were just playing in a casual round I'd try a straight shot with a Wizard or a hyzer with a Roc.

Why would you guys take a hyzer route and bring the tree near the teepad into play. That is like the only tree you need to avoid, just go right at it or throw a gentle anhyzer.

Hard to tell from the perspective of the photo where that tree really is. If it's a typical cell phone or point-and-shoot camera (wide angle lens) it may be closer than it appears. Heck, the basket looks about 400 ft away...

Of course, I can't really tell which side of the post the tee is on, I assumed I could throw from the left.

I still like the hyzer line to try to get behind the basket...if the tree doesn't block it.

I assumed the tee was to the right of the sign so most people, who are RHBH, don't follow through and smash their hand.

I do agree it is hard to tell how far away they actually are.

I assumed the tee was to the right of the sign so most people, who are RHBH, don't follow through and smash their hand.

I do agree it is hard to tell how far away they actually are.

Good point on the broken hand...

All right. So assuming the tee is on the right (there does appear to be some deeper holes there) and the tree is in the way of the bigger hyzer line I would:
  • Try a lower, flat shot with a Flat top Roc or Whippet to the right (if room allows) still trying to get even or behind a bit
  • Throw right at it with a Roc...

Latest posts