• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Home Made Disc Golf Storage Unit

Here's my car carrier. It'll hold about 35 max and I made it entirely from crap I had laying around.
The ends are from a cable spool left at my house by the time/warner installer. The silver rails are aluminum handles from a dead fridge left in the garage and the dowel was laying in one of the closets.
The rails have a nice texture that keeps the discs from sliding around too much and I've got a bungie to stabilize them.
Ugly and a little heavy, but it works and it's free.

2011-08-06%2B21.21.00.jpg

Nice ideas, I wish I had time to brain storm one of these shelves. I just built a large work bench in the garage I use for holding my discs.

Necro bump, built one of these yesterday. Thanks for the plans and parts list!

Attachments

• 1457627581916926432637.jpg
    1457627581916926432637.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 250
Those are neat, my wife would be stoked if I did that in my garage, instead of having random boxes with discs in it, that are probably getting all warped as I type ;) Sadly, I'm not a DIY type - yet.

But the best part of random boxes is, it kind of hides how many there are just laying around.
You display them all on a rack, and the wife will start to get crazy ideas, like you have too many

Here's mine! A little on the heavy duty side with 1.25" PVC

Attachments

• DSC02251.jpg
    DSC02251.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 229
my shelf i built for me on the left and on the right my roomates shelf i built him. and ontop of the left one is a small one i made for my car trunk

Attachments

• 12499027_10204775680391845_767593945_o.jpg
    12499027_10204775680391845_767593945_o.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 126
But the best part of random boxes is, it kind of hides how many there are just laying around. You display them all on a rack, and the wife will start to get crazy ideas, like you have too many

Exactly. :clap:

DiscRack_zps9ukgwlv5.jpg

Posted this in another thread, but I took the lazy way out with an old entertainment stand and some Jimmy Johns boxes (bottom row) and Trotter Boxes (Top row). Not pictured is a piece of cardboard that I can slide over the bottom row of boxes so nothing is showing. Stashed away in a basement closet they are out of site and out of mind. :D

I already documented this in a different thread, so I figured I'd add it to a more logical place.

I thought about my solution for a week or two and settled on this design. I went from 42 of those Sterilite containers to everything fitting on this wall. I like this solution much better because I can easily thumb through the library. No more opening 6 containers before I find what I'm looking for. Good riddance! I think what you see in the photo is $100 IIRC.

Brackets (@ my local store, the price drops to $1.60 each if you buy 10 or more):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Sele...in-L-x-1-875-in-W-White-Shelf-Bracket/4651459

wood (gotta pick through to find the straight ones)(pick smoother wood if you don't want any chance of splinters):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Severe-Wea...n-x-1-375-in-x-8-ft-1-Treated-Lumber/50279773

string:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Marshalltown-1000-ft-White-Nylon-Mason-Line-String/1000101945

and various screws to hold it all together.

53652940_2515287615209964_5093145272419090432_n.jpg

1. screw the brackets to the wall, make sure you hit studs
2. screw the 1x2s to the brackets, pre-drill the screw holes so you don't split the wood
3. tie one end of the string to the bottom shelf's back wood.
4. criss-cross your way up to the top shelf and then back down to the bottom. I think each string was about 18' IIRC. Be sure to keep the string as tight as possible as you weave it in and out of each shelf. I wound around each wood piece one time as I passed by it; I'm hoping this helps retain the tension.
5. tie the other end of the string to the bottom shelf's front wood.
6. repeat 3-5 for as many "bookends" as you want.

finished product:
53761320_2510619595676766_3434245400226168832_n.jpg

I like the result. it is plenty stout for the discs it holds. The string is for "bookends" so the discs have something to rest against. Otherwise, the discs could turn sideways and fall through between the two wood pieces. I did one bracket on every stud, I didn't skip any studs. I also did a string on every stud/bracket, then one in between every stud. Probably overkill, but I don't care.

There are several ways to achieve the bookends, the string was the cheapest and easiest. The string will likely stretch and loosen over time. I can always tighten or re-string if needed. Plus, the string is adjustable... so if I want to section off types of discs, I can just move the string or add more. There are more robust solutions, this one works fine for me. I just need to add some kind of bookend to the top shelf so those can stand upright too.

My biggest beef is that the brackets break up the shelf space because the discs want to sit lower than the bracket will allow. Use taller boards (maybe turn the 1x2s onto their short edge?) to have un-interrupted spans of discs.

The string makes the rack. Solves a problem with longer racks while looking great. I'd probably I started a new hobby this year, and this looks like it could do double duty as a filament rack.

Great imagination Marmoset. How did you aquire all those discs and what will you do with them?

:thmbup: Cool.I love simple, cost effective solutions. Elegant in it's simplicity. Supremely functional.

Personally, I wouldn't want nearly that many discs. I probably have about 250 or so in bins and boxes (and feel like I should really thin that out a bit... but that's just me).

If someone has a ton of discs, this looks like a good way to go.

Great imagination Marmoset. How did you aquire all those discs and what will you do with them?
Thats so many discs, and I know he's probably barely top-end for people on here. All of my plastic could fit on one of his short racks!

Thats so many discs, and I know he's probably barely top-end for people on here. All of my plastic could fit on one of his short racks!

Probably barely top-end is hard to comprehend. Yeah I would fill about three of those plastic bins... and I thought I had a bunch.

Probably barely top-end is hard to comprehend. Yeah I would fill about three of those plastic bins... and I thought I had a bunch.
I'm okay with that considering the level of formality and importance of comprehension of that particular post.

How would you recommend I rephrase without losing any of what I mean?

Not sue there's a better way to say it. I have a closet full of discs (and spilling over into every room in the house), and I know I'm nowhere near the top end of the hoarders. I have twenty full Trotterboxes, and I know there are people with that many of one manufacturer alone. I bet there's even someone out there with that many Rocs.

Latest posts