• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hopefully moving in the near future-Tx, Nc, or Sc!

The Happy Gilmore

Par Member
So I plan on moving sometime in the near future but NOT for disc golf purposes (although having quality courses near me would be awesome!). Can anyone who lives in these 3 states (Tx, Nc, Sc) give me some insight? Weather, economy, education, livelihood, housing, dg scene etc. I have not been looking too much lately but what I've really liked so far is Greenville, Sc, Ashville, Nc, and the Dallas area. I currently reside in the Central Us where the weather sucks, the economy is going down the drain, and there's absolutely no livelihood. Thanks to all who respond

Are you looking at those 3 locations in those states exclusively, or are those just the leading contenders in each state?

I can only speak, generally, of 2 of the 3.

Greenville, SC, and the general region has a pretty strong economy. I don't know that there's anything exceptional about living there, but like many places, there are many good neighborhoods. The weather is hot in the summer, beautiful spring & fall, just a little bit of snow in the winter. There are a bunch of disc golf courses in the area, mostly short, hilly, and very fun. A handful of new courses are being built.

Asheville, NC is in the mountains, and thus beautiful. And 10 degrees cooler than Greenville, meaning milder summers and colder winters. It's a small town, with a strong artsy/hippieish element. Richmond Hill is a pretty good course, extreme elevation.

Dallas I have no idea about, except the obvious---it's a FAR bigger city than either of the others. For better or worse.

So I plan on moving sometime in the near future but NOT for disc golf purposes (although having quality courses near me would be awesome!). Can anyone who lives in these 3 states (Tx, Nc, Sc) give me some insight? Weather, economy, education, livelihood, housing, dg scene etc. I have not been looking too much lately but what I've really liked so far is Greenville, Sc, Ashville, Nc, and the Dallas area. I currently reside in the Central Us where the weather sucks, the economy is going down the drain, and there's absolutely no livelihood. Thanks to all who respond

Charlotte NC top DG location. But cant you find all this census data on Wikipedia? Texas...its so huge, and diverse. In NC you have the mountains, middle area, and ocean. SC you have east of 95 and west of 95. I would suggest against SC(unless Charlotte suburb part of SC (except gas is like $1.60 now). Depends on what type of work you do. Dallas is just miles and miles of people and scrub land, who wants that. Also you have to live around Cowboy fans. Charlotte, Asheville, Raleigh are great areas.

If you're considering the entire states, Charleston, SC has a booming economy. It's a beautiful city, with lots of waterfront and beaches. And even milder winters than the rest of the Carolinas.

Since disc golf is a side-issue, it has one very good course (Trophy Lakes), and a half-dozen lesser courses, scattered about. Traffic can be a mess, as in any city of bridges, which makes the courses less convenient than they might otherwise be.

That said, please be more specific. Other than better weather and finding a job, what kind of place do you want to live in? What kind of job are you looking for?

P.S. It strikes me now that Asheville and Dallas are about as vastly different places as you could come up with.

No specific job. Hopefully I will be able to transfer with my current job, fingers crossed. While I realize most if this info is available online, I really want the inside scoop! The most important things I'm looking for is solid year round weather, a growing economy, places within an hour or two drive that will amaze me, liveliness, and a city that doesn't look depressing or trashy etc. and hopefully decent courses. The 3 places I mentioned were front runners for me based on what I read online

Greenville is part of what's called "The Upstate"---the northwest corner of S.C. Spartanburg is a sister city 30 miles away, and the area between them has boomed. I haven't been to downtown Greenville, but it is highly regarded for it's revival. The surrounding area dotted with smaller towns with disc golf courses, and sprawl. Clemson University is not far outside of town (with it's big-time college sports, for better or worse). You can see mountains from there, and be in them in an hour.

The disc golf is pretty good. Not Top 10, but pretty good. It's a day-trip to Charlotte, where you can play good courses until your arm falls off.

That's about as inside as I can get. I live a little more than an hour away.

For the past several years, the economy in Texas has been booming. With the recent drop in oil prices, I expect some cooling off. The drop in oil prices will have a larger effect on the Houston economy than the Dallas economy.

I think you're gonna have to narrow down "Texas" to get any kind of real feedback. Its gotta be 3 or 4 times the size of NC and SC combined.

In your list I'd go with Asheville. It's a fun city that's not too big with great outdoor activities all year round. It's also the left side of the state, both politically and geographically, so I guess it depends where you stand there. Great music scene, too. Living outside of Charlotte it always seems like the good bands go from Chapel Hill to Asheville and skip Charlotte.

I'm a big fan of both Asheville and Greenville.

Greenville has a strong economy right now, driven mainly by engineering with GE, BMW, Fluor, Michelin, Hubbell, among others. For as much as I love the city and enjoy living here, 95% of it is like most other cities -- gas stations, strip malls, and fast food restaurants. But downtown is absolutely fantastic. Great restaurants and bars, beautiful parks, a fantastic theater with lots of good shows, minor league baseball, minor league hockey. And the disc golf is pretty good. Central, Easley, Timmons, Greer, Tyger, and Shoally are all within 30 minutes, and we'll be opening up two more in the next year. The cost of living is very cheap, and the weather is pretty good. Gets a bit on the hot side in the summer, but I think we get a little bit of cool air rolling in off the mountains. Winter is just cold enough to not want to go outside too much, but it's really not bad at all. We'll get snow two or three times a winter, freak out, wreck our cars, and then just wait a day because it'll probably hit 60 the next day and melt everything. It'll dip below freezing at night, but most of the time we'll get back up to 40-45 during the day during the coldest weeks of the year. Asheville and Charlotte are a touch over an hour away. Atlanta, Augusta, and Columbia are about 2 hours. Charleston is 3 hours.

Asheville is an extremely cool city, but I think I'd rather visit it than live there. I have no idea what people do for work in that city. Most people who move there grow their hair out and start bathing with patchouli oil and start playing in a drum circle in the park. It's hip, it's cool, it's fun. The weather in the summer is absolutely glorious, but you pay for that in the winter. More snow, more ice, more days where the thermometer doesn't get above 30. But those NC mountain summers are great. The traffic up there is pretty lousy. The city is growing and there's no room in the mountains to build any more roads. The disc golf is pretty mediocre. But if you're more interested in hiking, biking, fishing, or kayaking then Asheville is a great spot.

I lived in Greenville for 8 years, spent a lot of time in Asheville and then moved back to Dallas, where I lived for 25 years before moving to Greenville... AMA!
Jobs - some in Gville but the pay scale is lower than about anywhere else. Employers know they have a cheap, educated labor pool with Clemson nearby so they take advantage of it. That's why some major companies like BMW, Michelin, Windstream have large offices there. Stable economy becasue it has a strong manufaturing base.
-Dallas has more jobs than the local drivers have brains. You can make some serious money here if you want to, but it's also generally more expensive to live, not by a lot but more transportation costs, etc. There are cheap areas of town to live if you don't need to worry about resale, schools, etc.
-Asheville has lots of job seekers and also does not generally pay well. I tried for years to find acceptable work there without success in telecom, my wife the engineer couldn't either. We both had several co-workers in Greenville who commuted the 50-60 minute drive from Asheville for work.
Weather - I saw just as many ice storms in Greenville as in Dallas over the years, but the summers here can be brutal. Greenville has long springs and in fall is about the nicest place to be as anywhere in the country. Asheville can be as harsh as the Midwest in the winter.
Places - Eveything in Dallas costs money to do - museums, shows, etc so if you are trying to live affordably that can be difficult. Everything in and around Asheville is also accessable from Greenville within a hour or more - love Pisgah Nat'l Park, all the hiking and biking trails, fishing, you name it and it's all right outside your door. Also Charleston and the coast are 2 hours away. We have basically stopped leaving the house for anything fun since moving to Dallas, there is squadoosh to do outside except go to a park with your kids. Also downtown Greenville is awesome- beautiful, easy to get around, lots of freindly people.
Disc Golf- Asheville and the Greenville area have a really nice variety of courses, plus Charlotte is 90 minutes down I-85. I haven't played Michigan or Cali but I would still put the NC/SC state line courses up against any area of the country. Dallas courses aren't as bad as they used to be, but it's a lot of open windy shots, or shots framed by tree-canopy, no real elevation changes to speak of except Veterans but I have yet to play the west side of Ft Worth. Courses are also better maintained in the Carolinas.

What else?

OK, Happy, you can just skip all my posts now that people who really know what they're talking about have shown up.

Latest posts