• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Beat Up is Too Beat Up?

The advice "go throw it and see" would be very practical were my Wizard not brand new. I had thrown it for exactly one round and had not had any time to get used to how it flew. On the very first tee of round #2 with it, I drilled the basket and put a little warp in it. So I really have no frame of reference as to how it "normally" flies for me.
Have you considered wear and tear is an eventuality for most any putter (they all drill a basket eventually), and that "fresh out of the box" way that it perhaps flew has a very short shelf life that you shouldn't get used to as "normal"?

Just go throw the thing. What's the worst that could happen?

You should see my 1999 DX Archangel. I think it is has lost more plastic than it has kept.

From Timmy Gill's Discraft bio:

My favorite trick shot: I have a first run XS that is completely ruined. It is so understable that if I throw it hard it will do a full rotation. Why would I want a disc like this? For those situations when you are trapped and you don't have any room to get full arm motion. A quick snap of the wrist and this disc flies very far and saves a lot of pars. Great for overhead shots that need a unique flight. The reactions from the group are priceless as well.

I live in the city, so I practice putting on my terrace with stone tiles.

Other people I know use a garage or cellar with concrete floors.

You putter will be fine. Worry more about what you hit. ;)

I also dented my SS Wizard the first time I drove with it, but it still flies like my other Wizards.

Have fun! It is only a disc!

Alright, O Sages of the Plastic. I hear you loud and clear. I'll throw that damn thing till the wheels fall off.

When a disc becomes inconsistent, it is "too beat up."

+1

I also came in this thread to post: PRO. Those discs, maybe more than DX, just beat in to a point where they are so easily flippable you hit good shots with them often, but biff them and watch them fade hard the wrong direction. Not cool. I need to rely on what's in my bag. Agree with having a "hazard" disc. They are also strangely hard to lose.

Then again I've had probably 50 discs in my life and like 2 of them got to the point they were not really worthwhile.

DEADFB.jpg

This disc still flies but can not be used in pdga play. I dont throw it anymore but a disc is not to beat until it is broke.