• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How can I remove the haze on stored Champion plastic discs?

Innova's "Champion" plastic is by far my favorite disc plastic. Unfortunately, I have noticed that some of my "backup" Champion discs (and even some Discraft Z-discs) that were stored in a cardboard box under my bed have developed a weird ... haze ... that coats the entire surface of the disc. They aren't quite "gummy," but the haze can easily be streaked with a fingernail.

Forgive me if this has been covered before; I haven't been around.

Is there any known method that does a good and complete and non-detrimental job of removing this haze? I have used soap and a dish pad and warm water, but that really hasn't helped. I'm not sure if the next step should be Goo-Gone or Ronsonol lighter fluid followed by a thorough rinse-off.

Please help!

Well, I decided to do a little risk-taking and see if could clean up a couple of hazy old Champion discs.

When I posted that I had tried dish soap and a dish pad in the past, I guess I must have tried the soft sponge side, because tonight I took out a couple of discs I wouldn't have minded ruining and used the scrubby side of a dish pad, with some Ajax lemon degreasing dish soap, and scrubbed with moderate pressure, and the haze on these two discs seems to have come off.

The price is that there are very minor polish swirls all over the discs now, which can be seen if they're held in some light. I cannot feel them with my fingers but I can see them.

The polish swirls don't bother me, and they're a small price to pay for being able to revitalize these still unused Champion discs, but it occurs to me to ask you folks whether it's possible that the use of the scrubby dish pad on otherwise-legal discs could make them illegal for tournament play. As I said, there is no discernible tactile difference in the discs after the cleanup, but you can see the swirls that resulted from the scrubbing. Think it would be a problem? Even in the ethical sense, if no official or other player was aware of the swirls? I mean, the discs aren't "modded," nor was there intent to do so in a way that skirts the rules. ...

Why are you so concerned about the haze? Are you worried about resale value? The polish marks are a non-issue. Just throw them.

Vinegar might work to remove the haze.

I think just the dish soap on it's own should work. I will wash some of my base plastic discs to get the grip back but I leave the dish soap off of the premium plastic discs. I think champ type plastic does better with just water and a cloth to get the dirt off.