• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How cold is too cold?

How cold is too cold?

• I'm a Yeti!

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • below 15 degrees

Votes: 32 23.7%
  • below 25 degrees

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I don't play below 50! you guys are nuts

Votes: 23 17.0%

• Total voters
under 15 is a bit too much id say. Anything above is fine, just gotta layer up and bring hand warmers... although all the layers definitely affect my throwing. Its fun to get out and play though.

I'll play in some pretty damn cold weather. Not sure the lowest actual temp I've played in, but I pretty much stop having fun around 10-15 degrees.

The weather I will NOT play in is freezing rain. That sucks waay worse than just the cold.

Definitely been out on some sub-15 degree days. However, I don't remember having a whole lot of fun. Depending on other factors (sun, wind, snow), I will generally be down to play if it's mid-20s or above. A nasty wind factor could change that though.

I play in anything! When it's real cold I typically disc way down (nothing faster than a Roc or Gator) and work on upper body form, approach, and putting. Driving in freezing temps just isn't as reliable, especially with all the extra layers. I feel it's detrimental to my form to start throwing with all that extra bulk on since I'm still not at the point where my muscle memory is correctly set.

I live in Alaska, there is a hardy bunch that play year round all conditions. The weather is a good equalizer for us lower skilled players and higher rated players to compete against each other in a equal fashion.

I live in Alaska, there is a hardy bunch that play year round all conditions. The weather is a good equalizer for us lower skilled players and higher rated players to compete against each other in a equal fashion.

That's the spirit! :hfive: :cool:

I haven't been playing very long but I have gotten to experience everything from 95° and humid to -15° and 25 mph winds. I find that gloves come off at about 15°. Shorts in anything over 40° and snow pants and boots in any thing over 8 inches of snow. Wind jacket over my sweatshirt if its a really cold wind.

Layer up! It's never too much.

I used to feel about like this.

But, I've really started to wonder about grip. This winter it seemed like my grip got pretty messed up. I keep a ski glove on between throws, but, still, it seemed like a problem.

Made me wonder if hand warmers are important for performance, and not just convenient for comfort.

Filmed a video in ~25 degrees with constant wind and just had a hoodie on, wasn't bad.

The cold doesn't bother me, but things like tons of snow mud, rain, extreme winds and early nightfall do in certain combinations will. I don't mind rain, but rain + cold is asking to get sick. I'll play in the snow but I'm over playing in 3 feet deep of it. I'll stay in and putt.

Nothing is too cold, coldest I've been out is maybe 15* below zero F, -40F windchill. I've been out and about in -58F air temp and I would play a round in those conditions. Cold and wind doesn't slow me down, neither does snow, or rain, or hot. About the only thing that might delay my progress on the course is lightning.

My buddy and I have been playing nearly every Sunday at 9am for 17+ years. Here in Minnesota it can get pretty effin cold! Everybody's game suffers when it gets below 10 degrees. The only time I won't play is if it is 30-35 degrees and raining, but my buddy will play through anything. We both love playing when it is snowing, the more the better.

If I lived up north I'd be more intrepid.

As it is, there's always a 50° day right around the corner no matter the time of year, so I don't play in anything colder than that.

I went out today just to do some practice throws : 35 deg about 10 mph winds. Only did maybe 6 throws and stopped. Had no grip, stiff pull, winds kicking disc all around - decided I wasn't going to have any consistency so "practicing" wouldn't be very helpful.

It's probably different playing with other folks when you can glove up and walk the holes but field practice was rough.

I'm not saying I'm a yeti, but i just shot a 60 in 30 degree weather, glow round, in a pair of gym shorts and a hoodie, after leaving the gym.ok, maybe I am saying I'm a yeti.