• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did Prodigy get so big so fast?

Prodigy was started with Large sums of investor money. This is how they hit the ground running.

Where is Castillo already? ;)

From my recollection, wasn't Prodigy started from guys who were involved with Innova/Discraft in their past?

Thry have great plastic, but they make discs for the elite level players. Most of their "understable" discs arent even that understable. And they dont need to be. Thats just not an area they want to focus on and that is respectable.

But I wouldnt say they are "big" per se. I think this year will be a bigger one for them though...they expanded their team quite a bit and seem to be sponsoring/supporting more events.

They aren't "so big." They are middle of the pack in regards to market share, and on the decline.

They have amazing plastic, but meh molds. D1 is my favorite driver from any manufacturer, and I know a lot of people who have good things to say about their putters. Other than that, the M4 and an occasional H-series are the only discs I ever see anyone touting.

Would be great if they just scrapped the majority of their line-up and started over. It's a bummer to see such amazing plastic fall by the wayside

at first i had problems with their names as well. but i think it's far more intelligent than anything else. m is a midrange, where m1 is the most stable, m2 a bit less, and so on. m5 is really understable mid. same system for drivers: d1 most (over)stable, d2 a bit less,… etc. so what are the flightcharacteristics of a prodigy f1 and f7? yep, f1 is the most stable fairway they have and f7 the most understable.
while not perfect their names are way more informative than calling discs atoms, pigs and leopards.
But giving it a name like pig then providing flight numbers ( yes they're never perfect but they give you an idea of how it should fly). M1 gives you no real clue on the flight path. I don't hate their system but flight charts are better IMO.

But giving it a name like pig then providing flight numbers ( yes they're never perfect but they give you an idea of how it should fly). M1 gives you no real clue on the flight path. I don't hate their system but flight charts are better IMO.

^This; I've thrown a couple Prodigy discs and the only one I liked was the M3 but it doesn't really fit in with my bag right now. It's so much more work to hunt down how a Prodigy disc should fly compared to anything else that I'd rather throw other brands. Same deal with Discraft's system. It also doesn't help that it's difficult (or at least used to be) to find anything about how their discs are supposed to fly and what their plastics are supposed to feel like on their website. I'd rather stick to Innova/Trilogy/MVP and the like because they're much easier to figure out how the disc should fly through either informative flight numbers or really easy to understand flight charts, versus try to find information on discs that I can't tell how the plastic is supposed to feel (I buy a lot of my discs online, especially a manufacturer like Prodigy which isn't represented locally), how the disc is supposed to fly, and that has a boring and essentially useless naming system and stamp. The final nail in the coffin for me is their naming system screw ups, specifically the M1/M2 and M2/M3; I'd rather like to know what I'm buying, not hope someone else knows what they're saying or what run each disc is.

Similar to the Discraft Deuce.
M5 is the only Prodigy disc I bag, and the groove in the rim has never been an issue to me. It's a good understable mid.
Is this a joke? I honestly can't tell. I am a believer I throw whatever works for you, but lots of people **** on discs so I cannot tell if you're kidding or not.
Similar to the Discraft Deuce.
M5 is the only Prodigy disc I bag, and the groove in the rim has never been an issue to me. It's a good understable mid.

If they come out with a driver more stable than the D1 they screwed themselves? :\

They just have to keep making understable stuff at this point i guess.
I can't point to the exact disc as I don't throw prodigy, but my friend who does has told me there are already discs from them that don't fall in line with the naming system. I want to say m3 or pa3 but can't recall. Someone help me

Estonia is a bit bigger then Tennesse, but we have only 1,4 mil people here. And I would say that Innova/Prodigy/Trilogy are even top3 and very far away from the others. Prodigy fanbase is very big - nowhere in Europe has Prodigy that kind of a marketshare. Reason is, that our dg boom started exactly at the same point when Prodigy started and it was easy to market it with Will and Paige in team and others also. And the plastic is good and now the lineup is already pretty solid.

Prodigy came up quick because they recruited a crap ton of pros to join them by making the partial owners. This gave them tons of publicity, which is what they needed.

The Trilogy brands was a foreign disc manufacturer joining up with a big disc retailer. Lat 64's presence in the US shot up quickly with DD using their already established name (Westside got to tag along for the ride).

MVP had a gimmick (the heavier weighted outer mold). It was something no one else was doing. It may be a gimmick that works, but it was gimmick nonetheless.

The Trilogy brands was a foreign disc manufacturer joining up with a big disc retailer. Lat 64's presence in the US shot up quickly with DD using their already established name (Westside got to tag along for the ride)

I pretty sure latitude 64 was pretty popular before dynamic disc came along. they had a good lineup of discs at least in my area.

I think it's VERY regional. Here in East Tn there is a bunch of Prodigy throwers. There is, of course, a ton of Innova & a good amount of Trilogy. Legacy & Discraft basically have zero following around here & MVP/Axiom you'll see some every now & then but not very much.

Oh yea, here in Knoxville I throw mostly legacy with a few exceptions (rhyno, drone, trident) but when I play with other people it's seems they are almost insulted I don't throw prodigy or a lot of trilogy. But I have thrown them all and actually like their discs I believe all companies make awesome discs it's more or less what floats your boat. In California it's probably the other way around tons of legacy throwers and no prodigy, it's all about the regional pros I guess

while not perfect their names are way more informative than calling discs atoms, pigs and leopards.

Also way more Lightning's idea first.

Getting into the PIASs would help a lot.

They're prominent in the PIAS in TN thanks to Schusterick. He's been taking his ownership seriously, from personally setting up the Prodigy display at the new Nashville Disc Golf Store to getting Prodigy to front baskets for a local course he got approved, designed and is in the process of building.

Back in my day, I remember when there was only like 5 companies to choose from and I could recognize all of the disc names available. Now I walk past the merch table and I'm that crotchety old man "pshht all these new fangled discs with their crazy names and technology" and I'm not very old and "my day" is only 5 years ago...
So true.
Yep, their alpha numeric naming system is as clear as mud. You want a driver, pick up something from the D line. What's that, you don't like high speed drivers and the D's are all 13 speeds? Well, how about a slower driver from the H line. Oh, you like high speed but want something beefy? How about an X driver. It's all so simple really. (Don't get me started on how they boxed themselves into a corner by insisting that 1 is the most overstable, that is until they make something even more OS and have to make up a new category for it)
Maybe they'll delve into imaginary numbers at some point. The D -i sounds pretty sweet. :|:confused:

I don't see much Prodigy in my neck of the woods. More likely to see Legacy or Vibram and I don't see much of those either. Still mostly Innova with Discraft and Trilogy next, MVP and Gateway (putters) being the next most popular.