• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you find disc golf? What does it mean to you now? Where do you see it going?

I got a 119 gram World Class Frisbee in 1975 or so, and read about "Frisbee Golf" in the little book that came with it. Not too long after that I heard that the county had put a Frisbee Golf course in a park about 3 miles from my house. I started riding my bike there and playing with my 119g Frisbee...almost 50 years ago. I have been playing every summer since then (but now I play with much better discs).

I played French Creek during a youth group camping retreat in the early 2010's. I'm pretty sure we just played with frisbees. Then during the pandemic my friends and I got cheap frisbees and tried out a course at a park near us. After the first go around I went online and got some cheap DX discs and had a much better time.

Disc golf saved my mental health during the pandemic and still continues to be a great source of therapy/soul care. It's a great way for me to get out in nature without distractions and is my primary form of exercise. It's also how I met my current boyfriend/future husband. We realize our playing ability is a gift and something we want to share with others.

I hope the sport has healthy and sustained growth. More outside sponsors realizing it's potential would be nice. I think we're going to reach a point where the FPO/MPO splits off into FPO1/2/3 etc. and MPO1/2/3.

Mid 90s in college, at the first course in Mississippi. It was pretty bare bones, but it was a safe-ish place to meet up with friends and smoke some weed. Throwing one disc rounds before it was cool, lol. Miss that Cheetah.

I found out about disc golf in early 2017 when a buddy of mine at work eagerly told me about it. I didn't actually play my first round until a few months later on Fathers' Day when Dad and I were trying to think about a fun but affordable activity to do. I made sure to tell my work buddy about it afterwards, and he was gratified to hear that he helped introduce some new players to the sport.

Since then, disc golf has become a nice excuse for me to travel to places I would have never seen otherwise. I always take at least one full week off from work so I can drive to a fresh part of the country and play as many new-to-me courses as I can. Currently, I've played at about 220 courses mostly in the northeastern United States.
But perhaps more importantly, disc golf has become a way for my father and me to bond. Everytime I visit my parents, my dad and I always make time to play-- whether it's one or two rounds at the rinky-dink 9-hole a few blocks away from where he lives or one of the 18-hole courses within driving distance. Plus, every Fathers Day I commemorate the start of our disc golfing journey by taking him to a big name course that he's never been to before. This year, I'm thinking of showing him Muddy Run down in southeastern PA!

As for where I see the sport of disc golf going...? It is undeniably growing in popularity. Slowly, but it's growing. It can be a fun activity for literally anybody. More families are seeing it as an inexpensive way to spend time outdoors with the kids for a few hours. And it's even getting some airtime on the sports networks. Sponsorships are gradually getting more prevalent, too (for better or worse). The Pandemic is responsible for generating a massive new wave of casual and competetive players, which has the result of slightly more crowded courses and, by extension, tournaments. Higher demand for new courses and more tournaments will need more volunteers to imagine, design, shape and maintain the courses and events. I predict a higher number of courses everywhere but also a higher number of neglected courses. Pay-to-play may gain traction as the way forward, too. As a course gets too popular, it may get tougher to maintain.

Overall, the sport of disc golf is destined for healthy growth if it doesn't reach too far too fast.