• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you first hear about Disc Golf?

One day when highschool golf practics was cancelled an older player on the team told us freshman that our feild team needed some players. It wasn't till we hit the park I realized he was full of it but we played anyways. Don't remember much but my frosh year of college in Austin Texas a few guys in my dorm played. Me and several others of us on P2 bought a few discs and would play doubles for dollar tall boys after soccer practice. Free activity and getting drunk on two steel reserve for 2 bucks...classic. Ever since then I've grown a passion for disc including introducing three avid players to the game last year!!!

All I ask is more courses please!!!!

For me it was actually seeing it played that got me hooked. Our course at Crooked Creek Park has a walking trail that goes by a few holes. When I was "part-time" at UPS, I used to go in at 4am, and get home at 2-3 in the afternoon. When my wife got home from work and it was nice out, we'd go for a walk in the park sometimes. I saw some guys playing, and finally realized what they were doing. So, I went and got a frisbee from wal-mart and decided to give it a try. I used to play catch with frisbees all the time growing up at the beaches in Florida, so I was pretty good at throwing them, just not at wooded courses. A "local" saw me out there, and came up to talk to me. Said I was doing pretty well, but I would do better if I had a golf disc vs. a frisbee. So, I asked the usual...where do I get them, how much....etc... Found out that the front office sold them. So, went in and got a Roc for my first disc...only because it was yellow<easy to find>, and had the cool Roc emblem. The rest is history...I was hooked! started playing as soon as I got home, until my wife did...played on weekends, any time I could!

There was a course on my college campus, I didn't pay much attention to it though, I think one time I played a round with the parks and rec club with some of the lost and found discs. I didn't touch a disc again until last april while on a climbing trip at Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Arkansas, the disc golf was free, after having paid for climbing, they let us borrow lost and found discs, we played several rounds that week. I still don't consider that when I started, as I wasn't instantly hooked, but my curiosity was perked. It wasn't until last November, just before thanksgiving, we were in Vegas on another climbing trip at Red Rocks, that I decided to buy my first disc, a DX Valk, and I already owned a Wizard, I'm not sure where it came from, but I had it. I then became hooked, playing nearly any course I possibly could on my travels, I just hit 50 courses!

Martin, addict.

my best friends boyfriend, but i thought it sounded dumb. then there was a guy i worked with and he had some extra discs and took us out to a local course. the rest you can say is history

My teachers name is kristen Weidle she talked about it in school and i said heck with it I bought a starter set and started playing, before that my mom took us out and we played like hit that tree overthere with this frisbee

My dad was a member of the International Frisbee Association in the early `70s. It was in a news letter.

In the summer of `73 there was an article in our local paper. It showed a picture of a temporary course in a local park. They used hula hoops as pins.

My boss was like, "Sucka get your punk ass out on the course wif me or your fired."

I think he needed some newb to rough up and feel better about his game. :D

I thought it would be easy, since I played a fair amount of standard frisbee catch as a young adult. He handed me a Valkyrie and I've been in the rough ever since...

Back in 1980 I lived in Ottumwa, Iowa. I was about 5 or 6, and I saw they had put in these strange baskets in one of the City Parks. These were the old school baskets, with the plastic mushroom looking catcher. (They've since been replaced) My uncles and cousins used to play, and I always wanted to. I didn't actually play my first round until 2000, at Z-boaz in Fort Worth. I didn't play again until 2005, and then I was hooked. (FWIW:I bought my first discs in 94)

My teachers name is kristen Weidle she talked about it in school and i said heck with it I bought a starter set and started playing, before that my mom took us out and we played like hit that tree overthere with this frisbee

That is awesome. I wish I would've had teachers like Kristen when I was in school!!

A couple friends in the Navy took my wife and I to Newport News Park in 2000 or so. They loaned us a couple discs...no clue what but the next day I went to the Navy hobby shop and picked up a 150 gazelle and a 150 stingray.

We both still have those discs. We later bought a 10x KC gazelle and a #4 driver and #2 roller...still have all of them.

When we moved to Ballston Spa NY there were no courses but the discs stayed in the back pocket of the front seats in hope that we would run into one some day.

She had driven by Lenora park down here in Snellville GA on the way to a job interview and noticed the baskets so we went and played but a wide open course is no fun for a bunch of noobs who had not played in 5-6 years so we didn't play again.

One day she said she wanted to play again and we found DGCR and East Roswell Park. We then ordered a starter pack and got a putter...realized that they were pretty important and thus the insanity started.

Now a year later we have probably 80+ discs, she has 4 tournament wins, we have played over 31 courses in 6 states and I have run a women's clinic, planning a tourney and several more women's events....ate up as my dad would say.

Some guys I worked with at a Bonanza restaurant played and showed me the game.

Bonanza Restaurant? Damn, there is a name I havn't heard in 30 years. I went to one of those when I was 7. Its now a strip club.

College Boys

We have two boys in college in LA and they don't have much money for FUN! A friend in their apartment building turned them onto disc golfing. When my husband and I visited our boys about 2 months ago they took us disc golfing for the first time. My husband and I are ball golfers but with having two boys in college we are a bit short of fun money so disc is a perfect solution! We had no idea there are so many courses all over California. We even plan to spend our 25 wedding anniversary disc golfing in the Santa Cruz/Monterey area.
We have our 16 year old hooked. He has started bringing his football and baseball teammates to the course in our town. It seems to be catching on in our Central California small town.

College intra-murals event.

I won my first time competing in it. I think there was like 40 players. I only practiced for it for about a week and I ended up being the only one using 3 different sized discs. At that time, I figured size may have something to do with the glide length. Obviously, it ends up being a bit more complicated than that, but the internet was next to nothing back then. I was just trying to figure out an advantage before the event. It was just objects like light poles and park benches and things like that.

My cousin suggested we play together when we went camping one summer. He had already played some so I bought a few discs to practice before we went and then I just kept playing. And buying more discs :)

My dad has been playing since i was born, so i guess ive kind of played my whole life. I just got serious about it a few years ago, before i only had a few discs, now ive got about 60.

Aww! I can't find a way to add "...And the rest was history". :(

My brother had a baseball game at Burns Park in North Little Rock. The park is one of the largest City parks in the country so they have signs as you enter the park that show the direction to the area of the park you need to go to. As we passed the signs, I noticed one that said "Disc Golf -->" and that sparked my interest. The next time my bro had a game there, I took a freestyle frisbee that I had and went to the course.

A local was at the first tee and I asked him about the sport. He told me everything I needed to know and even gave me a champ valk (that I still have and use) and let me borrow a mid and putter. I finished my first round with a 60' par shot that went in and I was hooked.

I heard about it from my friend 12 years ago and played a few times using whatever disc he had. When I went to buy my first disc I had no clue they did different things or served different purposes so, I picked them by how cool the name sounded (ie; my first disk was a Shark). I have been playing ever since and so has he. He is 60 and I am 42.

The stoners who worked in the kitchen at the pizza joint where I was a bartender showed me the game in the late 80's while I was in college.

Latest posts