• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you first hear about Disc Golf?

When I was younger and still thought running a lot was fun or maybe back when I was still able to run a lot, depending on how you view it, I played a lot of ultimate. I just played with friends and at camps I work at and things of that nature. When I was in high school, when I was low on cash or beer or whatever, me and some friends would go to the Tops parking lot and play catch with a frisbee. There was never anybody there and the lighting was really good.

Fast forward about 15 years:

A friend and co-worker of mine was always talking about disc golf. He knew I liked frisbee and invited me to play all the time. Each time I would mock him and his "game." I used such unclever phrases as "tree hugging, pot smoking hippy, (insert unkind word for homosexual- yeah that was ignorant of me) wussy game, skipping through the woods like a little girl" ect...

One day after a 7 hour staff meeting (worse job ever!) on a Friday, he asked if I wanted to go play disc golf. I finally said "if you buy me a margarita after." (I was gonna go drink anyway.) So I went. On the 10th hole, I threw a #2 upshot 200' laser straight and parked it! I was hooked. I just miss the two years I coulda been playing when I was mocking him. :wall:

I'm so not as smart as I think I am.

I heard disc golf mentioned once in college when the school I went to put a 9 hole course in. I never played it. A year after I graduated I went on a camping trip with friends to Cloudland Canyon and when we were paying for our camping spot they had all the discs in the office. We picked up two beginner sets and used them between the 4 of us. We played the course out there twice while we were there.

When we got back home I couldn't find anywhere local to buy discs so I decided I'd sell them. I've placed 4 or 5 bulk orders with Discraft and sold them to my friends and now I have a small group that I play with a few times a week.

I stumbled across a park that had a course and already being predisposed towards tossing plastic it was a done deal.

I first "played" at a church youth group when I lived in Chicago. One of the adult instructors had a little book full of outdoor games, and he decided to have us try this "Frisbee golf." Just a simple little object course, hitting spots between tape on trees, fences, up some stairs, etc. That was probably in '90 or so. It was fun, but that was the last I heard of it until 8-9 years later while living in Green Bay, when my buddies took me to an actual course. For a while it was just a way to kill some time, having fun, having a few beers, tokin' a little; never got really serious. When I moved here to Cleveland, WI, I was bored as hell, proposed a course to the village, the local tech college offered up all this wonderful green space that was well maintained but underused, and a little over a year later we had an 18-hole course! Now it's a pretty serious addiction, though I have yet to rob an old woman at knifepoint for her purse in order to feed my urges.

My buddy had mentioned that there was this sport "frisbee golf" that his sister played... I thought he was making stuff up, even when he showed me that there was a PDGA.
I laughed and thought that "frisbee golf" was the lamest excuse for a SPORT that was ever invented...designed for people that sucked at real golf and had no athletic talents...

Well he made me go out and play one lovely day at Northside Park in Gainesville, FL, and I ate my words... I had a blast (though when I tried to "Happy Gilmore" run-up on my drives and throw hard, the disc went super short, and if I just threw it like a frisbee, it went further (but not nearly far enough))... I bought a starter pack for 18 bucks with a Putter, Driver, and Mid-range and played about 10 rounds over a 7 year period in college.

Then I moved on up to Montana and there was not a whole lot going on. Started playing Ultimate with a group and thought it might be a good idea to improve my disc throwing...so I hit up the only course within 100 miles (a 10 hole course with hills and generally very windy) and played that a bunch.

I think I'm at my peak addiction level with DG currently...played my first tourney a few months back, now have 3 under my belt, member of 2 local disc golf clubs in Orlando, playing Handicap rounds on both Sat and Sun, and scheduled to play in every tournament (I'm around for) that the Fabulous Florida Tour comes out with...

Not to mention that I troll around these boards like it's a part-time job...

And even better news, is that my game is slowly improving. Shooting right around par on most courses...so I'll have to thank my buddy sometime. :)

The stoners who worked in the kitchen at the pizza joint where I was a bartender showed me the game in the late 80's while I was in college.

See now, you could've just said "when I was in college," and from there we could have easily extrapolated "stoners," "pizza joint," and "bartender." ;)

Bonanza Restaurant? Damn, there is a name I havn't heard in 30 years. I went to one of those when I was 7. Its now a strip club.

I'm not that old. It was about 20 years ago when I worked there. While I worked there it changed to Ponderosa. Now it is a Logan's.

Wasn't too long ago actually.

Last fall a buddy took me and another noob out and I was a bit tired. This year, again, he asked me if I wanted to go and I did.

Ever since I went that second time I have been out at least 3 times a week.

Wish I would have realized back in high school when someone would give me a disc to break stuff up on that it had so much potential!

Mine is a story of missed opportunities.

I started playing a lot in 1983 or 1984 in central Nebraska (where there were no courses), so I must have heard of it on Wide World of Sports or some similar such TV show. A friend and I had our own made-up course in the city park. We carried multiple weights of Wham-O: 97g, 119g, 141g, etc. We played HUNDREDS of rounds our Jr and Sr years in high school.

Went to college in Des Moines. I immediately became aware that there was a "real" course in town (North Karen Acres), with baskets and everything, but I never went there. And never really played, other than back in my hometown during the summer.

Immediately after college (1989) got a job in Sheboygan. There was a "real" course there too (Vollrath). I actually went and played it with my Wham-O's one time. That's the first time I ever played with baskets. There was a guy there with real discs, which was the first time I ever saw them. I still remember seeing how putters flew, rather, dropped.

Moved back to Des Moines in late '89 and didn't do anything until I got a job near North Karen in 1993. A friend and I finally started playing there over lunch. After several months of playing with Wham-O's, we broke down and ordered real discs from Discovering The World. I think I found them on this thing called "the internet".

10 years of lost time from '83 to '93, with me in my prime. Ahhhh, to do it all over again.

My wife has been playing for about 10 years, so when we met she took me a few times and I didnt care for it. 3 years after that, I lost my job, and decided to give it another try, and have been playing ever since.

A good friend of mine showed me a local course, Adler Park, back when it was a majestic 18-holer, and I was instantly hooked! My first few discs were a Stingray, a Gazelle, and an SR-71 Blackbird.

i heard of dg from a friend that i went to school with. he has been playing for about 2 or 3 years b4 i started playing. i got myself into dg after i healed from a skateboarding accident. i havent been skateboarding sence.

Funny story, back in '83 I was running with the particular tough group of cholos and we were dealing crack out of a park. Well the city comes busting in to the park one day with their "revitalize the area" ideas and starts putting in baseball fields, volleyball nets, and (what I would later learn was) disc golf baskets. Well, Rizza (tough little guy) found out you could hide your crack in the top of the baskets if you just pried the cap off so we started stashing our drugs all around the course in the baskets. To provide ourselves with a cover for being out there, we started playing DG so the cops wouldn't think nothing of some shirtless dudes with beers hanging out at the park all day.

My friend let me borrow Tiger Woods Golf for the Wii, and he said to check out the disc golf on it. I instantly loved it, and was pleasantly surprised to find many courses in my area. I told my friend, "hey, we have to try this for real." We did, got hooked, and managed to hook another one of our friends. We've been playing for just under a year now, including all through the winter. What a great game!

Well, before disc golf, I frequented S&M Clubs something fierce. One day, while I was getting my usual afternoon humiliation, the dominatrix starts working me over pretty good, much more than usual. It was so bad I forgot my safe word. So in an act of desperation, I asked her why she was cracking the whip on me (literally). Turned out, she had had a particularly brutal game of disc golf earlier. After learning more about the game, I discovered that I could be punished much harder and cheaper than my S&M habit and I've been delightfully carding circles ever since. I still like to wear my ball gag sometimes when I play though.

Latest posts