• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Did You Get Into Disc Golf?

When I was 16 (1973) target Frisbee was big in my neighborhood. We had two 4X4 posts set about twenty feet apart on which we'd set half filled soda cans. The game was to ten. Around August I read a newspaper article about a Frisbee golf course being set up in a local park. The holes were hula hoops. Having gotten my driver's license on August 9th, I was allowed to drive some buddies in the family station wagon to the park. The course sucked. One had to line up pretty squarely with the hoop to hole out. Several hyzer/anhyzer putts were tried but I don't think any were made. We went back to our target game.

Fast forward to about 1998 and I went on the internet to find a replacement "Fastback" Frisbee. Whoa things had certainly changed for the better. I bought a couple of discs, found a few local courses and started taking my daughters (8 and 6).

Today old injuries and a lot of obligations limit my course time and hamper my scores but I still consider myself an almost active player. When I retire soon I intend to start traveling to interesting courses.

A guy that I tutored in math introduced me to the game. After a while, we became pretty good friends and I've helped him with his math, stats and science classes. In trade, he took me discing all around Sacramento. He also brought me fishing, which I haven't done since my dad passed away in 1982. He took me to the place that my dad took me and my brother back in the day. It brought back some awesome memories and got me choked up a bit.

Long story, tried to keep short

In my late 40s, met, fell in love, and eventually married a Deadhead. As a couple of "hippies" one day we were trying to play catch with a cheap promotional "frisbee". It sucked so I bought us a beach lid. Much better. In the meantime we'd seen some funny looking baskets at a local State Park. Some sort of wildlife feeders we postulated since never had seen anyone actually playing disc golf.

Later that summer we went to my family's annual picnic at a different State Park. As luck would have it the pavilion at the park was encircled by the disc golf course. Still oblivious we went out to the open field with our lid to play catch. And then we saw folks throwing "frisbees" at and into those baskets!

The light instantly came on. It also jogged a long lost and very vague memory that I had heard of such a thing. My wife and I agreed we should try it. As a ball golfer I had an idea about basic rules and etiquette, as well as the costs and time ball golf takes.

The very next day as I was just about ready to check out at Walmart I spotted a Wham-O Frisbee Golf starter pack on the sale shelf . $17.99 or so if I remember correctly. There were 3 starter packs left and I bought all three so we could include our son.

Even with those lousy discs we fell instantly in love. Now 9 plus years later the love continues. Hundreds if not thousands spent on discs and associated equipment. We are members of a pay to play course; a disc golf country club if you ask me. Vacations that include disc golf. Even our European Honeymoon included disc golf in Germany and the Netherlands. Meanwhile $1500 worth of custom fitted golf clubs sit rusting in the garage.

When I was a junior in college (2003), I moved in with my dad because it was close to my internship. I didn't have any friends in that town, so I spent all my weekends driving down to the south Chicago suburbs to meet up with my friends from school. One weekend they took me out to West Park in Joliet and I was immediately hooked. I found out that there was a 9-holer just a few minutes from my dad's house, and I started playing there every day. Made a bunch of friends on the course and when I returned to school that fall, I signed up for the Illinois disc golf club/team. We travelled around and played all different Midwest schools, and the collegiate championships. At the time I was still a primarily-forehand chucker. After I graduated in 2005 I started to take it more seriously- learned backhand and started playing in tourneys.